Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 14:46   #1
BHPian

Pushing one's luck...

Hello everyone. This is the first thread that I am posting. I have not posted anything else since I have been able to find everything else I wanted; posted before by some other member in this forum. I wanted to share a recent experience and know what other members think about it. So enough reasons cited for posting this thread. @mods: Hope this is the right section for the thread. If not, please oblige by moving the same to the correct forum. Thanks.

Presently I am in my native place, a city in Uttar Pradesh. Traffic rules and road sense has never ever touched this place. I met one of my best friends after a long time, since he was abroad all this while. I was showing him the Bangalore Speed Run and the MMST track day videos, and suddenly he commented that much skill isn't required to do something like this. I was not surprised by the lack of awareness since we do not have anything even close to motorsport being publicized or participated. (Maybe because the roads resemble WRC stages anyway)

I asked him what form of motorsport does he think entails the maximum skill. In a flash, he replied "Street Racing" or more specifically "Dirty" Street racing. He was of the view that:

Dodging a pedal-rickshaw at 40 clicks when he suddenly appears out of nowhere, is more fun than negotiating a S-Curve at 70.

Doing 80 in traffic is more of an adrenaline rush than doing ~150 KPH on the race-track straight and then braking to 80 for the C1.

He also supported his view by stating that street racing in traffic is the true test of a driver's capability, since he has to "predict" the trajectory of the traffic around him along with controlling the steering and shifting gears. Also in case of a street race, the power/handling of the car does not make much of a difference since "guts" are required more than outright performance.

I tried to convince him that luck plays a major role while racing through traffic. Whereas on the strip/track the luck factor is much lower and what counts more is one's skill/ability. I asked him to show what he has got on the track. He agreed but said that he wants someone (more specifically down south who have easy access to race-tracks and other organized events) to challenge him for a "dirty" street race in jam packed traffic. I just gave up at that point and left him with his views.

This friend of mine has been driving for around 5 years now. He learnt on his Dad's Esteem, then bought a Santro, Accent, Ikon, now drives a Baleno and a Swift. Although he has never been to an organized event as a spectator let alone participate in one.

Although he has a lot of driving experience when compared to me; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to differentiate between right and wrong? Even though if one has not witnessed/participated in an organized event.

I don't know how to convince him any further about the dangers of street racing. Considering that he is my best friend, I don't want him to end up in a pile of metal.

Thanks for going through the long post. Just wanted to describe the discussion as it took place. Please pour in your comments/ suggestions stating what you think about this incident.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:17   #2
BHPian

hi doomsday,

I think you are irritated trying to convince your friend...

anyway driving skill is something which you have it in you...you need more of luck than skill for street racing.

next time bring your friend for a trackday...this will be a chance to find out your friends driving skill
Old 1st September 2007, 15:04   #3
BHPian

Agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailu View Post
hi doomsday,

I think you are irritated trying to convince your friend...

anyway driving skill is something which you have it in you...you need more of luck than skill for street racing.

next time bring your friend for a trackday...this will be a chance to find out your friends driving skill
Yeah man, I was just kinda p****d off because of the kind of reasons he gave to justify street racing. I haven't been able to drill much sense into him. So for now I'm kickin' his a** on GT4.
Old 1st September 2007, 15:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please dont flame me but i somehow agree with your friend on some points.I m not advocating street racing or any kind of races on the street but street racing does show a drivers capablity.

If a guy can street race keeping himself/others/car on the road safe then it shows how good a control he has on the car.His judgment is good most probably he ll be a good racer when it comes to racing on the tracks too and he will be willing to take more risks on the tracks to win.

This is my personal opinion.
Old 1st September 2007, 15:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

well i think track requires more skill. shifting at the right places. braking at the right places. getting the right line. street racing just shows you have guts and a bit of judgement.
Old 1st September 2007, 15:24   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I agree to the extent that street racing could be exciting and adrenaline pumping. Well you can have that on a track too. All you need is a dozen of such reckless drivers to make it more interesting.

Street racing involves a lot of luck and good all round judgment (and a lack of common sense) to be in a prolonged tenure and get away with it safely. But, mostly its LUCK. Luck that some cycle guy didn't pop up when you could not have stopped, luck that the car ahead of you saw his rear view mirrors and moved away, luck that that truck was an inch further away from what it could have been causing you to miss clipping him. You get the drift.

There is a lot of difference between driving fast on the streets and street racing. Normally people associate fast driving to street racing, a theory very commonly publicized by our press.

The only way to treat such people is to either just ignore them and let them learn on their own or get them to a track or drag event and ask them to prove themselves. Mind you, they might still end up saying that track and drag is not their cup of tea and thats why they did miserably. I have quite a lot of these friends too. But I hardly ever argue with them on this issue. They really never come to any of the events. And the worse thing is they expect you to lend your car to them to try certain antiques some whom have just learnt driving on a M800 a couple of weeks back. And when you refuse, they say what your car is a Ferrari or what that we will crash it. I say it is faster than a Ferrari, and you can't handle and walk away. And you will hear the boos and calls of show off in the background. But at the end of it all, you know you did the right thing.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 1st September 2007 at 15:29.
Old 1st September 2007, 16:06   #7
BHPian

Well said Rahul. Just because one wants an adrenaline rush it is not right to put ones life in danger and worse still the lives of other innocent roadusers.
Old 1st September 2007, 17:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Well said Rahul. Just because one wants an adrenaline rush it is not right to put ones life in danger and worse still the lives of other innocent roadusers.
Totally but havent u got into a friendly race with anyone ever??Street racing has its versions.

Its like how far are u willing to go to win.Some people go to any extent.. some people just take it easy when they sense any little amount of danger.If u know where to draw the line in street racing it means you are just having some fun at no ones expense including yours.
Old 1st September 2007, 18:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Please dont flame me but i somehow agree with your friend on some points.I m not advocating street racing or any kind of races on the street but street racing does show a drivers capablity.

If a guy can street race keeping himself/others/car on the road safe then it shows how good a control he has on the car.His judgment is good most probably he ll be a good racer when it comes to racing on the tracks too and he will be willing to take more risks on the tracks to win.

This is my personal opinion.
If it was only his life and his car in danger in case of street-racing, I would never stop him from doing it. But just because he seeks a high dodging other vehicles as if they are slalom cones; doesn't mean that some else pays the price for his fun. Some poor rickshaw guy who is the only one supporting his family (Insurance is not considered, since it cannot bring a person back from the dead; it can only compensate for it materially)

Just to prove my point nowadays, I'm busting him thru' GT4 in every session.
Old 1st September 2007, 18:18   #10
BHPian

doomsday, i tell you all the evils on indian tarmac are due to this attitude of heroism. more often than not, it is the idiot who fancies himself as a fast and skillful driver that tries to squeeze between cars and snake around in traffic just for the kicks...

and your friend is not the only character on our roads - which is what makes indian traffic what it is today. all this talk and heartburn about nicks and scratches and anti-social behavior and road rage; when times are bad, it extends to serious injuries and deaths for no fault of others... how on earth can a logical creature justify all this for the mere sake of a transitional adrenaline rush?

when it's a zooming idiot on the bike, i exclaim an expletive. and when it's my own stupid old friend, i just pray he learns his lesson from a very minor incident - things are just beyond our control.

this is the planet of idiots, and we ourselves become one of them at some point or the other. apart from getting into a philosophical mode in plain exasperation, i am ignorant of what else can be done.
Old 1st September 2007, 19:10   #11
BHPian

My vote would not go to street racing as while you are doing so, you are not only risking yourself, but also other people on the road.

If you want to have fun, find yourself a race track and try your stunts there, and it is not as easy as it seems, driving effeciently on a Race track requires skill.

Doomsday, I just hope you don't join this friend of your when is planning to go street racing.
Old 1st September 2007, 19:35   #12
BANNED

Skandyhere. Well said! :
Our friend is completely on the wrong side of the boat. Yes, he chose the part which is under water claiming it to be the perfect place to swim. Poor fellow doesn't even know a boat is not designed for swimming. It is to take you across the water safely. If he wants to show his swimming skills, then he should get into an olympic size pool with some good competitors and avoid the boat completely.
He should rather act in movies and show his heroism there.
Doomsday! May god bless your friend and his brethren.

Those who think street and racing go together has completely gone wrong in their heads. It is for commuting. Once in a while rage and show off is understandable. Serious racing, competing etc are somethings which has to be done in a controlled environment. Some murderers and martyrs don't get it though.
Old 1st September 2007, 19:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Skandyhere. Well said! :
Our friend is completely on the wrong side of the boat. Yes, he chose the part which is under water claiming it to be the perfect place to swim. Poor fellow doesn't even know a boat is not designed for swimming. It is to take you across the water safely. If he wants to show his swimming skills, then he should get into an olympic size pool with some good competitors and avoid the boat completely.
He should rather act in movies and show his heroism there.
Doomsday! May god bless your friend and his brethren.

Those who think street and racing go together has completely gone wrong in their heads. It is for commuting. Once in a while rage and show off is understandable. Serious racing, competing etc are somethings which has to be done in a controlled environment. Some murderers and martyrs don't get it though.
EXACTLY what i mean.Once in a while does everbody here not do it??doing it each and everytime u get on the road is a big no no but doing it in a controlled way sometimes is i guess okay.
Old 1st September 2007, 19:58   #14
BANNED

I disagree!

As far as I know, there can't be a controlled way of street racing or street rage! Unless something like Monaco street circuit thingy.
Sorry, I have to disagree with your view. Once in a while means of something which happens unknowingly. Even that is a strict no no! It's not a matter if we or somebody else do it or not! Even If we do, it is a mistake. It has to be condemned!
Period!

Last edited by speedzak : 1st September 2007 at 20:03.
Old 2nd September 2007, 08:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post

Doomsday, I just hope you don't join this friend of your when is planning to go street racing.
No worries dude..I'm not planning to join him. BTW he never plans to go street racing. It is always a random challenge; a different one each time; irrespective of displacement, power, body style or the driver. For now, whenever he starts such a maniac crusade- I just threaten him that I'm gonna jump out of the moving vehicle, in case I'm with him. Which is pretty often nowadays. I hope he mends his ways sooner than later.

I told him that the track is not as easy as it seems. He thinks so since there aren't any visible obstacles to dodge. However, he said that if he dedicates 10 days exclusively for it, he can pretty much master it as well.

Most Viewed