Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2007, 22:55   #1
BANNED

Hyderabad flyover collapse .

Hyderabad: Hyderabad: Over 20 people were feared dead and another 20 injured after an under-construction flyover collapsed in Hyderabad's busy Panajagutta area late Sunday evening.

The flyover has been under construction for the past one year, and was to be inaugurated this December.

“Ambulances have been called. The death count may rise because there are a number of vehicles trapped under the debris. Gas cutting machines have been called to clear the chunks of concrete,” said Police Commissioner of Hyderabad, Balwinder Singh.

Over 15-20 vehicles were trapped till late Sunday night under the debris. The dead also include labourers working at the site. Even as rescue work was on in full swing, police reportedly lathi charged a crowd, which had gathered there.

A major concern for the authorities was that there should not be too much movement around the damaged part of the flyover, which is still barely standing and may fall down anytime soon unless it is demolished properly using cranes and bulldozers.
Video
We hope all our hyderabad members are alright .

Last edited by unknown : 9th September 2007 at 22:57.
Old 9th September 2007, 22:57   #2
BANNED

guys i was with my friends allmost near that place at that time ...
Old 9th September 2007, 22:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

This was long time coming, considering the haphazardness of construction sites and the unholy haste with which these projects are planned. Reminds you of the "Jaane bhi do Yaaro" Byculla flyover collapse in the 80s in Bombay.
Old 9th September 2007, 23:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats horrific ! Hope all team-bhpians are safe. The guys making the flyover should be dealt the harshest punishment.

May the souls of those who died RIP.
Old 9th September 2007, 23:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

The whole place is a complete mess. Some of the vehicles have been flattened to sheets of metal. And most of these vehicles still have their bulging out headlights still on. Its a bizzare sight. One Honda City even has a hand sticking out from the inside. It probably has more than one person trapped inside as a lot of attention is being given to this car. Another one is an Alto which has a lot of rescue workers around it. A M800 which now resembles a flattened sheet of metal, an auto which has only its base left of a crushed Omni call cab are all making for a gory sight.

The place is the heart of commercial hyderabad with big malls, multiplexes etc around it. The place has been sealed off as police believes that the rest of the flyover will also come down crashing anytime soon.

It was small mercy that this incident happened on a sunday when arguably the least amount of traffic flows through that area. On weekdays and on saturdays that place has lakhs of vehicles passing by every hour.

The next chaos on the roads will begin from tomorrow morning. This place falls on the direct connection route to the Hi-Tec city area (IT hub of hyderabad) for most of the people in hyderabad and secunderabad. So those thousands and thousands of vehicles will probably choke the kukatpally and banjara hills roads as this road will stay closed. I am keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Old 9th September 2007, 23:42   #6
BANNED

Quote:
unholy haste with which these projects are planned.
Its not the haste. Projects in India take way longer than elsewhere - its the lack of quality.
Old 9th September 2007, 23:42   #7
BHPian

I read in the news that the flyover collapsed due to heavy rains. ***? If the constructors can't build a flyover that can withstand heavy rains, he should be lynched. And India building so many new roads and flyovers bridges etc, I just shudder to think what would happen if they had used substandard materials in those.
Old 10th September 2007, 01:47   #8
BHPian

I think everyone must calm down a bit before making scathing attacks on flyover quality. This what our politicians are known for.
There could be many reasons & a thorough investigation will only prove it.

The rain though was unbelievable. Living in Hyd since I was born, the last I remember this kind of rain for a continous 3 hours period was during the 2001 floods.
Old 10th September 2007, 03:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

My friend and I were planning to go from Banjara to Begumpet. My friend felt a little under the weather and thankfully, we cancelled the plan.

The exact reason for the incident is not yet known. They believe it must be the heavy rain, so let us not draw conclusions.

15 is a big number and it is indeed a sad story. God bless their family and friends the strength and courage to withstand the pain.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:17   #10
BHPian

May the souls of those who lost their lives rest in peace.... I hope all Bhpians in Hyd are safe and sound. The people who are responsible for this should be put behind bars immediately
Old 10th September 2007, 09:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexister View Post
I think everyone must calm down a bit before making scathing attacks on flyover quality. This what our politicians are known for.
There could be many reasons & a thorough investigation will only prove it.

The rain though was unbelievable. Living in Hyd since I was born, the last I remember this kind of rain for a continous 3 hours period was during the 2001 floods.
I am not sure what angle you are coming from. These flyovers like other major structures are made to withstand major earthquakes. x hours of continuous rains can not be attributed as a reason for their collapse.
I hope that the public outcry is loud and long in this case in order to bring these errant contractors and officials to justice.

Last edited by xbox360 : 10th September 2007 at 09:46.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
...an under-construction flyover...
Was the traffic moving under an "under-construction" flyover?
Old 10th September 2007, 09:45   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
The exact reason for the incident is not yet known. They believe it must be the heavy rain, so let us not draw conclusions.
Whether rain or not, there is absolutely no excuse for such carelessness. Firstly, it should have been strong enough to withstand heavy rains. And if it wasnt or in the case of doubt, they should have been pro-active in informing the authorities and having that part of the road cordoned off.

I do hope they (contractor and authority in charge) are booked with murder. The lack of value for human life in our country never fails to amaze me.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:00   #14
Team-BHP Support

I was shocked when i saw this report in the news.
I hope that the people who are responsible for such callous construction are brought to book, and are not spared.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Hope all HYd Bhpians are safe.I planned to go and see the F1 race last evening at 10D and last minute cancelled as it started to rain.Thank heavens.
But the common man getting effected by poor consturction is something unbearable and warrants a tough punishment to the builders who are responsible for this diasater.I blame also the government which is largely responsibile too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks