Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 12:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

What would you do,.......
Surprise, this is the reason most people state for not helping out a fellow being. But put yourself in the injured persons shoes for a moment and image the situation. Yes, there are bad apples everywhere, but that really is the exception rather than the norm.

My mother and I were returning from a visit to our farmhouse when we came across a jam up on the highway. All the vehicles were merging into one lane. We thought there was some road work going on. When we came closer, we saw the reason for the jam. A scooterist must have been knocked down and was lying unconscious in the middle of the road bleeding from his head. Not a single vehicle had stopped to help, but instead we had large trucks trying to squeeze past the unconscious person.

We instinctively stopped the car and looked at each other. Here we were in the middle of a highway about a 100 km from Bombay on the old Mumbai-Pune highway, out in an area where we didn't know anyone. We could either have driven off hoping that someone else would help the person as we were worried about the same hassles you mentioned if we helped.

But we stopped, went to help the person. As soon as we did, we had truckers stopping to assist us as well. They put the man in the back seat and we drove him to the nearest hospital which happened to be only about 15 mins away. Again we were worried about what formalities etc we would be subjected too. Would they accuse us of knocking down the scooterist? Exactly the opposite. The hospital staff were extremely polite and immediately came to the aid of the man. They didn't ask us any questions and instead thanked us for helping out.

We took the number of the hospital down and left. No police problems, no hospital problems nothing.

We called the hospital 2 days later to check on the status. The man was ok, with only a concussion and a broken leg. His family had traced him to the hospital and were relieved to know that he would be ok.

Sometimes we must put our own doubts behind us and do what is right. more often than not, it will work out.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its disgraceful, i think its the same story of every city. how sad that a life could have been saved if someone would have taken some initiative.

Have heard from many that in India there is no value of life. i think the incidents like these just prove it right!
Old 13th September 2007, 13:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

the driver of the bus / Sumo (according to one news channel) fled from the spot for sure - apparently fearing mob fury - but the place is generally not that much crowded except on Public Holidays.

OT:
the strech is more than 1km without potholes, speedbreakers and is a perfect stretch for flooring the gas pedal - but IMO what drivers dont realize is that there are 3 areas where people do cross the road. so the stretch is actually accident prone.

Coming back to topic:
the cops may have feared mob fury. the video footage is more painfull - the people were actually taking a look at the accident and drove away - without a single vehicle caring to stop and help. IMO - had it been in proper Calcutta - some people would have carried the guy to a hospital. atleast i would have helped the guy.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 13th September 2007 at 13:04.
Old 13th September 2007, 20:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But put yourself in the injured persons shoes for a moment and image the situation
I had said this earlier in this forum and will repeat- I always put my blood relatives in victim's place and try to give the best I could

Quote:
Yes, there are bad apples everywhere, but that really is the exception rather than the norm
It's exactly the other way around. Might be all my experiences are bad. Hope to get good experience as you got & motivated to do it again with more enthu

Quote:
As soon as we did, we had truckers stopping to assist us as well.
Biggest problem: Who will bell the cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
But we stopped, went to help the person. As soon as we did, we had truckers stopping to assist us as well. They put the man in the back seat and we drove him to the nearest hospital which happened to be only about 15 mins away.
Hats off to you. We will not forget these things in life & whenever our thoughts gets through it, it's a heavenly feeling (esp if we saved the victim)

--------------------------------------------------------------
a. It's always suggested to get a like minded one or two person from the group while carrying the victim to the hospital.

If the victim was accompanied by another person, nothing like that. It reduces half of your pressure and you can just play the role for transportation.

b. While carrying him/her to the hospital try to inform his/her relatives or friends (through contacts from cell phone/visiting card from purse/identity card)

c. If possible just find out from the nearby shop what exactly happened & inform him that u r going to help him by admitting in the hospital (might be useful when people turn against u) (don't waste precious timing here)

We may waste 2-4 hrs or even a full day. But it's worth while we save many years for the other.
Old 13th September 2007, 23:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Horrible!!
The various problems that the cops create & the hassles involved in proving one's innocence ..thats what makes most people run away without helping the injured. If only the cops were to use their brains, thousands of lives could have been saved. coupled with the fear of getting entangled in a legal rut, hospitals avoid treating such cases.
what a sorry state of affairs!
Old 13th September 2007, 23:21   #21
BHPian

A shame really. That too in the so called civilized city of Kolkata!!
Old 13th September 2007, 23:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Disgusting. My condolences to the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Its pathetic to see, Unfortunately this is not the Kolkata we know of (atleast I know off)..Since this happend in the IT hub, there was no so called IT people to help him out...This is very very unfortunate...

Had this thing happened in proper Kolkata, he would have been taken care off but locals and the non-IT people...THat is what kolkata is known of for their helping nature..

Abhi
Do you mean that the the bus driver was either a non-local or a techie? Or that only techies crossed his path?

To be honest, I've never seen a case in BLR where someone has not received help after an accident. I guess we are lucky.
Old 13th September 2007, 23:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quite true, v1p3r..
I've seen so many accidents,where the individual was either badly injured,or not at all (at the most he/she was just shaken up after skidding & falling down). I have always noticed people coming to the person's help,offering water & helping move their bike/scooter & parking it to a side. Invariably,someone or the other stays with the injured for a while,before proceeding with their chores.

I remember crashing my bike on Airport rd once ( in front of Guntroop officers colony).I lay on the road for a good 3-4 mins,and a few guys helped me up,and someone moved my bike to a side while I sat on the sidewalk.

Last edited by Nitin : 13th September 2007 at 23:33.
Old 13th September 2007, 23:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

May his sould rest in peace, sad to know people care less about their fellow Citizens.
Old 13th September 2007, 23:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its really really sad and sorry.

I am sure that in proper calcutta this life could have been saved. Sector V is so different!

What it takes in situations such as these is to get the locals mobilized. One person, it takes just one person to do that.

Seek help from a few people standing at a nearby pan-biri shop (the spoils of a developed nation has not yet touched us, so we can still find a few willing helpers), keep your car away for a moment to prevent any misunderstanding that you hit him. Hire a taxi, take the victim to the hospital in it, have another person assist you on that. (However locals would get motivated enough to take him by themselves).

Yeah all that is not taught at sector V. Neither these would not be part of the yearly appraisals or goalsheets. A lot of new shine!!!

Last edited by 1100D : 13th September 2007 at 23:47.
Old 14th September 2007, 08:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Disgusting. My condolences to the family.
Do you mean that the the bus driver was either a non-local or a techie? Or that only techies crossed his path?
How can you expect the culprit who is scared by now to stay there, He is already scared of mobbing even if the stretch is not crowded...He will run for shelter which is common...

I have stayed in places like Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kanpur etc and I can still tell you that the general public in Kolkata are very helpful, I have 3-4 instances in my family which will illustrate my claim...

Let me tell you that the place where this incident happened is not quite the Kolkata which people know (Thats the reason I dont like Salt Lake, I always felt it is different than Kolkata !!), This is the stretch where you will find only cars, bikes, people going to the IT park etc as it is deserted (this stretch is much like the eCity phase 2 road in blr passing from infy, wipro, hp)...Hence, I told that it becomes all the more important for people on cars to stop and help him...

Abhi
Old 14th September 2007, 08:36   #27
BANNED

Mob violence is a serious threat IMO.

About 3 years ago I saw a scooter coming the wrong way and a Zen barely touched it. Entirely the scooterists fault. There was no damage/injury, however, this being near the slum area around 100 ft rd Indiranagar, the mob soon pulled the girl driving the car out and started hammering her. When I went to help her I got hammered too [and that too by the women from the slum so you cant even fight back].

Luckily soon her father came with some people and the issue was settled.

What help can be rendered to the victim [in the event of an injury] when the driver is hammered in the first place?
Old 15th September 2007, 00:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

The newspaper mentions something about government officials on their way to amusements parks, or something to that effect. I'm sure they come from 'Kolkata proper', and don't work in the IT sector. I'm also sure they don't work on 'yearly appraisals or goalsheets', or do they, 1100D?
Old 15th September 2007, 01:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

I feel really sad for the Victim may his soul rest in peace and give strength to his family to get thru this:(

Last edited by ramie2400 : 15th September 2007 at 01:29.
Old 15th September 2007, 08:45   #30
BANNED

Why not start a thread about having contact numbers of all team-bhp members city wise for any kind of emergency?I hope all bhpians are more then happy to help atleast their bhp pals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks