Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 17:03   #61
BHPian

Thursday night, started home from work at 10.15PM and reached home at 12.45AM and this is for the total distance of 6 kms!

The travel was only on Bannerghatta road, got stuck under the jayadeva flyover for 45 mins, then one more hour to reach bannerghatta ring road singal. I guess the road near Mantri Elite was totally flooded and there was no way to move ahead. When I moved ahead I saw around 8 cars abondened on the road with blinkers on. Police moved the cars to the sides to make way for jammed traffic.

And to talk about the rain, never experienced such a rain, visibility was low, and it was raining non stop in full force. I guess even good roads with proper rain water drains were also flooded. This rain was too much for any road.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
The travel was only on Bannerghatta road, got stuck under the jayadeva flyover for 45 mins, then one more hour to reach bannerghatta ring road singal. I guess the road near Mantri Elite was totally flooded and there was no way to move ahead. When I moved ahead I saw around 8 cars abondened on the road with blinkers on. Police moved the cars to the sides to make way for jammed traffic.
On Thursday i turned right from that Bannerghatta road Ring Road junction, when i saw the huge traffic jam in front of me and the water rushing onto Bannerghatta road. There is a narrow back road that comes out at Adigas near HSBC building on Bannerghatta road, which i took from there. It saved me a lot of trouble and time!
Old 17th September 2007, 17:22   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
On Thursday i turned right from that Bannerghatta road Ring Road junction, when i saw the huge traffic jam in front of me and the water rushing onto Bannerghatta road. There is a narrow back road that comes out at Adigas near HSBC building on Bannerghatta road, which i took from there. It saved me a lot of trouble and time!
I was giving ride for two guys till Bilekhalli and had no choice but to go thru this!

The Puttenhalli road was empty and no one used this new good road which was surprising to me! This road connects to Meenakshi temple on Bannerghatta road.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

I was a little lucky on that day as I worked from home. Even otherwise, I do not use the traffic hot spots, so, would not have really got affected. But I looked at those pics in Deccan Herald and I can understand how much of agony people taking those routes have faced. Guys, if you feel it is going to rain like that and if you are lucky to have the "work from home" option, please go for it.

I am at Minneapolis till this month end. I am wondering what miseries my wife and kid will have to undergo at Bangalore if it rains like that.
Old 17th September 2007, 18:14   #65
Team-BHP Support

On sat night, the inner ring road was 4 feet deep on the side from Koramangala going towards indiranagar. Bangalore's finest decided to break the median to enable the water to flow evenly. The water flowed towards the back gate of the KGA.

To make matters worse, someone built an unauthorised wall to prevent sewage flowing into the freshwater area which killed the marine life last year. As a result, the water flowed across the car park into the KGA Pro shop and the gym which are in the basement. 4 treadmills ruined and half the Proshop stock has been damaged.

If only the corporation did the basics and planned the drainage flow.
Old 18th September 2007, 12:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

The main culprit, the main drains blocked(raja kaluve). this is the problem in most of the places.
Old 18th September 2007, 13:59   #67
Ram
Senior - BHPian

My day in Bangalore

As the growth industry powering Bangalore ( the IT industry ) marches relentlessly forward, the number of people commuting between home and work is increasing.

I have seen this happen in Bombay from the 1960s thru the 1980s (the growth and decline of textile mills, followed by the dotcom boom and bust).

Green and beautiful Bangalore also seems to be swiftly becoming an increasingly (even unpleasantly) crowded place to live, commute and work.

Somehow I manage to make a trip to Bangalore with different reasons each time, but there seems to be a trend of one trip every quarter or so.

This time around, it was dear Bangalore's turn to be pounded by heavy rains which turned the sidewalks into molasses.

The underconstruction Hosur road flyover and the frenzy of Bangalore's rush hour saw my 8.5 km trip take 1½ hour, this morning. What is our world coming to?

No sooner had we hit the Silk Board flyover than the road was overwhelmed with a heterogenous mix of vehicles, five abreast, inching along.

From the top of the flyover, we saw showed a bewildering mass of vehicles creeping inch by inch ahead.

To add to the confused melee, some of the vehicles in our direction, decided to U turn on the flyover and head back (wonder why).

The sidewalks were a morass of chocolate soup and more than one vehicle was stuck to the hubs in it.

Bangy suffering the pangs of growth?

Unfortunately Pune is not far behind with the burgeoning campuses at Hinjewadi, Kharadi, Magarpatta, Chakan, ... Where do we go next? Nagpur, Hubli, Satara, Mysore, Kolhapur?

Ram
Old 18th September 2007, 14:22   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Ram,

A great travelogue there

Trust me, I miss badly the Bangalore of upto 10 years back. As the song goes, "Where everbody knows your name" to "A horse with no name" is something I've experienced rather painfully being a native Bangalorean.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

ram I have been going thru this ordeal for the last 3 years now .
I have become immune to this placid everyday scene. My ipod has become my best pal now.

With the construction on Hosur road, the roads have gotten from bad to worse. Icing on the cake is the ignoramus drivers.

Its become a roller coaster drive in our company buses too.Uneven tarring, crater sized pot-holes , no sidewalks etc.

I miss my old city.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:33   #70
Team-BHP Support

lol. Ram, I climbed up the flyover, saw the traffic and stopped on the left side. We got down and were just waiting on top. Saw quite a few cars trying to take a u-turn on top, but cops came and made them turn back around.

For some reason seeing my car and a bike parked next to my car peopel thought there had been an accident and someone had fallen over teh bridge. After that cars/bikes from all over stopped on top to take a look who fell. I realised that just because I stopped, all vehicles were stopping.

I went over to the cop and told him to put a sign or something at the bottom of teh flyover so it doesn't pile up more and they can take the alternate Sarjapur road. The cop abused me and told me that he will fine me for stopping the car. He said this is bangalore and there will be traffic, now go and join the traffic jam before i fine you. He kept saying there is no permission to tell everyone to divert and if I wanted to reach office I shoudl go and join the jam.

It was a really sad state to hear all this from the cop. I just left from there. Took em 2.5 hours to reach work.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:35   #71
BHPian

Same here....I have been here all my life, and I really know how it was 10 years ago...one of my classmates used to attend college daily by BTS bus, commuting daily from ITPL to Bommasandra...can anyone imagine doing it today?
Old 18th September 2007, 14:40   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Ram,

A great travelogue there

Trust me, I miss badly the Bangalore of upto 10 years back. As the song goes, "Where everbody knows your name" to "A horse with no name" is something I've experienced rather painfully being a native Bangalorean.
Ya me too:( missing that beautiful city....i know we will get that back.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

10 years back, balcony ticket cost 30 bucks. 10 years ago, petrol was 33 bucks to a liter. 10 years ago, i was 10 years younger.

These are just growth pangs, like Ram said. Ask people from Delhi how horrible the road conditions were when they were building the Metro. But look now! Am sure they dont mind having gone through all that pain.

Its in the nature of things to go worse before they get better.

By the way, some days back i read that BMTC is planning to introduce a lot more volvo buses and increase their frequency and coverage. This is being done as a stop gap arrangement till Metro becomes operational. Thats something to look forward to, innit?

Amitoj
Old 18th September 2007, 14:46   #74
Team-BHP Support

Tell me about it. When i relocated to Bangalore, i was totally unprepared for what lay before me, in terms of traffic, and total lack of road sense here.

The only solace i find now is that i stay in a region which doesnt get flooded, so alteast my car is safe in the parking lot. Stepping out of the house on a weekend is something we have come to dread now. Drives mean late night trips on the ORR, and nothing more.

I honestly wish some sort of authority who has his b***s in its place comes and takes stern action against the crazy drivers we have here.

Seeing the snaps which many have put up here, i fear the worst in the days to come.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I honestly wish some sort of authority who has his b***s in its place comes and takes stern action against the crazy drivers we have here.
Couldnt agree more. its a typical case of spare the rod and spoil the child.

Today when i was taking my after lunch walk, a guy on a two wheeler was coming on the wrong side of the road and nearly ran me over. Now this is inside an IT park!! And when i politely pointed it out to him, he said since he hasn't hit me, i have nothing to complain about!! Had to let him go with a few abuses only, as it was right in front of my company.

Although its only a minor thing, but still gives a picture of how much respect people have for traffic rules.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks