Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 19:58   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ rks and others : Please stop with the Santro vs Swift / others capabilities in this thread. Feel free to open a separate thread for the same.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:03   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

One of the crash pictures did show an air-bag that appeared to be completely drenched in blood. I also noticed performance rubber on this car. Really sorry to hear about the unfortunate death of the front occupants, one of whom was celebrating his birthday. And to be married in December.

Pretty obvious that this was due to high speed....a safe guesstimate of the cars speed would be in the region of 130 - 150 kph. Forget a Swift, even a Benz wouldnt have been protective enough in such a crash. 150 kph straight into a metal pole is disaster. Remember Princess D's fatal crash in an S-Class? If I remember correct, the W140 was doing about 130 kph?

The single most important safety device in any car is the nut behind the wheel.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:14   #63
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Pretty obvious that this was due to high speed....a safe guesstimate of the cars speed would be in the region of 130 - 150 kph. Forget a Swift, even a Benz wouldnt have been protective enough in such a crash. 150 kph straight into a metal pole is disaster
Also important is a precise analysis of why the car became uncontrollable before smashing into the pole. Did it oversteer? These kinds of analyses are routinely done in advanced countries, and there are even private consultancies that do sophisticated accident analysis.

Last edited by rks : 8th October 2007 at 20:23.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really sorry to hear about the unfortunate death of the front occupants, one of whom was celebrating his birthday. And to be married in December.
The single most important safety device in any car is the nut behind the wheel.
That came out sounding not quite right.
Kindly refrain from speaking ill of the departed.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:39   #65
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
a friend of mine had seen the car after the crash.. it was heavily performance modded with k&n filters and NOS.. the 2 other cars were a lancer and a city.. they were racing big time.. R.I.P.
This is a very important piece of information. One thought that that occurs to me is that people often modify a car heavily for improved engine performance, but neglect issues like suspension/steering/brakes/tyres or deal with them in a very unscientific manner. There are obviously very complex design factors involved if a car's capability is increased substantially, as it apparently was in this case.

Once you meddle with the design capabilities of the car, you ought to make sure that all the other aspects are suitably taken care of. That is why I insist that an accident analysis is essential. If the car is performance modded, the police ought to look into whether it was still certifiable as road-worthy; if it wasn't, suitable action should be taken on those who undertook such modifications.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

RKS, please SEE the photos of the wreckage.
NO CAR could have helped. And speed guesstimates are running at 140 kmph or so. That is a speed most cars today can manage without needing mods.
Who do you want to sue?
Old 8th October 2007, 21:09   #67
BHPian

suppose a ferrari instead of swift........ i would be crying to see d wreckage
Old 8th October 2007, 21:28   #68
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
RKS, please SEE the photos of the wreckage.
NO CAR could have helped. And speed guesstimates are running at 140 kmph or so. That is a speed most cars today can manage without needing mods.
Who do you want to sue?
I have seen the photos and they are bad. It could be purely the driver's fault and nothing else. But that has to be established, not just assumed away. Obviously performance mods, such as, NOS, will help in getting the car to 140 kmph very quickly, much more quickly than the stock Swift can achieve. That itself might be one contributing factor for an accident, when such a modded car is in the hands of anybody other than a pro -- leave alone a 20-year old.

But then was the design of the car's suspension/brakes/steering or its tyres in tune with such a presumably heavy increase in pickup/top speed? Did these factors contribute to the accident in any way? Surely that ought to be established as an important piece of data in preventing such accidents in future.
Old 8th October 2007, 21:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Horrific accident !! May the departed souls rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Did this car had ABS/Airbags?
If yes, even with ABS/Airbags, Swift is a sitting duck.
If no, without ABS/Aigbags, Swift is a sitting duck.
And what one-legged flamingo with airbags and abs do you fly, if I can ask ?

Feels sad to know two young lives are lost, due to sheer negligence.

Looking at the mangled mess of the car, IMO no car would have survived a hit with such intensity. Leave alone a swift.

May their souls rest in peace.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 8th October 2007 at 21:41.
Old 8th October 2007, 21:45   #70
BHPian

The Scorpio guy is expecting too much out of an SUV with high center of gravity, and one that had rear leaf springs until recently, and no air bags.

I repeat - you can die in any vehicle.
Your vehicles are pure people carrier. So are the roads - designed for basic movement.

Old 8th October 2007, 21:46   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

NDTV said the accident was due to street racing. How much of this is true is a question one will never get an answer to.

Sadly, two young kids lost their lives in this incident. May their souls RIP.

And rks, it would be nice not to take things for granted about whether the engine was modded or not, if it was what about suspension/brake/tires etc. There is too much to ASSUME that way. And when you are assuming, you are not always right. Just imagine what their parents/friends etc who go through this would feel like. Unless someone comes out with concrete evidence I think we should stick to condolences here.
Old 8th October 2007, 21:51   #72
BHPian

RIP... Race on local streets always means inviting death. If they were racing then this is expected. Thank god no pedestriants this time.

Why man?? Why Race?? Why did this happen?? Wat made the driver loose control... 2 lives hav vanished and just think how many people were associated.

This can happen with anyone, u, me....... anyone... So better opt for safe driving. Never Cross your limits.
Old 8th October 2007, 22:00   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
And rks, it would be nice not to take things for granted about whether the engine was modded or not, if it was what about suspension/brake/tires etc. There is too much to ASSUME that way.
I have to say this.....

<sarcasm>
The brake drum on that swift is painted red.
The red paint on brake drum must have helped the car to stop immediately.
</sarcasm>
Old 8th October 2007, 22:03   #74
Senior - BHPian

Terrible! May their souls rest in piece.
No matter how good a car,or how fast you drive.If you can't control it,you'll end up at the Pearly gates.

Street racing...the worst thing to do.Kill yourself,and take a bunch along with you!
Old 8th October 2007, 22:10   #75
BHPian

May the souls R.I.P. There was this other thread where people were arguing for and against why cars in India needs more bhp. I was for the record against taking vehicles with more bhp(higher max speed) off the road. Such incidents only make me believe that higher bhps is crazy.
NOS and K&N and FFE and what else? Super chargers and so on and so on?
Such things oughta be banned from roads and highways. I say take these cars to a speed bowl and give them a once over. Why kill oneself on the highways and take others lives with you too.
Its a pity that one's recklessness has the ruined the lives of so many.

I wonder the plight of the poor kids' parents who for all their love of the child might have paid up lakhs and lakhs for all the mods without realising that they are giving him the license to go berserk.
However the poor guy has paid the highest price for it. R.I.P

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 8th October 2007 at 22:17.

Most Viewed