Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 11:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Must Read:
www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf

very good stuff on helmets;
Motorcyclist At Large: 10 things that are making your helmet useless

Helmet Replacement
Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:

The helmet was subjected to an impact.
The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration.
The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.

source: Shoei 2007
Old 11th October 2007, 21:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
No helmet is designed to protect you from such catastrophic situations. Please wake up.
I didn't say that the helmet should take the weight of a truck.It supposed to provide some protection,and looking at the quality of many helmets I know for sure they won't provide any protection.

Agreed,that even the best of helmets won't help,if a person is destined to go under the wheels of a truck. The chapter closes right there,when the biker skids towards the wheels.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Agreed,that even the best of helmets won't help,if a person is destined to go under the wheels of a truck. The chapter closes right there,when the biker skids towards the wheels.

I DON'T THINK SO

something I cannot explain/ justify.

I am gonna be one tough cookie for my angels, when they do come.
Old 12th October 2007, 20:14   #19
BHPian

Accident in Tnagar

I find this trend of taking shortcuts and illegal turns growing. Also in Chennai even if there is red signal, guys keep on going. I found the disturbing trend of people honking even when there is red signal in Bangalore. I thought chennai will be better. But except for Mount Rd. nearly in all other places people just keep on going even if there is red signal and traffic constable is helpless. What can we do to make people aware of these dangers?
Old 11th November 2009, 08:57   #20
BHPian

Road manners

I'm posting in the hope that this thread is still active since the topic is oh so valid with every passing day.
Its very easy to derate and destroy a system than to improve upon it, especially where human behaviour and tendencies are concerned. People get the system they deserve and people deserve the system they get. Honking, rash driving, selfish and dangerous behaviour on road are all a manifestation of the way society is moving towards. In Delhi as in almost all parts of India everyday i see people increasing speeds of their vehicles even if they see school children, etc. crossing. The fact that it may be a zebra crossing or not is irrelevant -it only indicates your attitude towards you own species. Unfortunately there is no check or education, training about road behaviour, etc. Its the same whether its a teenager, or a 50+ gentleman, or a lady or some burra sahib sitting at the back of his official sumo/tavera and unmindful of the fact that his driver may be breaking every norm in the rule book. Being posted in Delhi for almost 3 years till 2008, there were instances when i would get so fed up with my driver that i would ask him to get off the wheel and i would drive while he would sit in the co-passenger seat with a sullen expression on his face. This rule breaking gets more rampant with ofiicial vehicles especially police, politicians, etc. but the common man driving (as they say) is equally party to it. Its high time there is a concious decision to improve our road manners.
Regards,
atul singh
Old 11th November 2009, 13:19   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sad. Well, no point in discussing on the helmet now. Had the biker depended on what's inside his head than what's covering it, and followed the rules and used a bit of gumption, he'd have lived, (probably to buy a better helmet atleast).
Why do people try these stunts and play with their lives? What's more pathetic is that careless drivers and riders who see such accidents still don't learn from them.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
.........What's more pathetic is that careless drivers and riders who see such accidents still don't learn from them.
Yes. But unfortunately they are only too willing to learn how to break the rules. For example, people waiting for a red signal without honking at the guy in front. Then when the guy in front breaks it, they follow.

The attitude that the guy in the bigger vehicle is at fault, whether it actually is or not, doesn't help either. If a motorcylist does something stupid, gets hit by a car and lives, and sees the car driver getting screwed by the police, he obviously isn't going to think too much about what he could have done to avoid the accident.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post

These helmets won't take the weight of a bicycle..how do they expect holding a person's brains intact after going under a bus?
Ironically, does that brain which chooses a roadside product over a standard one (thoroughly knowing the quality of the product) call for a protection from a better helmet than the one it chooses? Apparently not.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:56   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

[quote=straightdrive;1577081]
The attitude that the guy in the bigger vehicle is at fault, whether it actually is or not, doesn't help either. quote]

Well, I'd view it this way. Bigger the vehicle, bigger the responsibility, no matter who is at fault. While I was in UK, I saw this Ad which left lasting impression on me.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Ironically, does that brain which chooses a roadside product over a standard one (thoroughly knowing the quality of the product) call for a protection from a better helmet than the one it chooses? Apparently not.
Absolutely not,I have to agree. Choose a cheap product, and God be with you. Having said that, there's always a factor of doubt when using a reputed brand too.I've heard of instances where riders (with some of the best helmets around) crashed, and although the impact wasn't all that harsh the helmet came apart like an orange. Some were lucky to walk away, some weren't.

Most Viewed