Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 00:17   #31
BHPian

While, like Akshat, I too try to keep from making generalizations, I think there is something to be said about the "type" of person who buys and drives a SUV. In Delhi at least, usually, it's an a55hole more often than not who is found driving one (mainly Scorpios and Qualises). (This is not to say that there aren't other a55holes on the road - e.g. Indicab drivers).

And I wonder if one can compare the mindset of a SUV driver to that of a blueline or truck driver in terms of an impression that they 'own' the road.

Personally, I think the vast majority of SUV owners are guilty of self-indulgence, and given the current pressures of fuel costs and environmental pollution, it's quite a irresponsible thing to do.
Old 12th October 2007, 01:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well I too would completely agree with the general sentiment, a large percentage of Scorpio's on the road are driven badly & are a bloody menace even in North India. Again main cuplrits are owners who are local netas, property dealers, goonda types who think they own the road & that their piece of junk can make everyone give them space.

This has happened to me on the highways & the city far too many times & though I too give them a taste of their own medicine, it is very frustrating to see people behaving as if the damn road was given to them as a wedding present.

But, it's not only the Scorpio chaps, Qualis/Sumo cabbies, TATA 207/Mahindra Pick-Up drivers are also as bad. But, their numbers are smallers (Qualis cabs aside) to really jar that much.

Also, I've extensively driven the Gen I & subsequent Scorpio's & have never been able to figure out why people like it. No aspect of it has ever appealed to me.
Old 12th October 2007, 02:35   #33
BHPian

I do not think Scorpio owners should take umbrage at this thread. It is obviously only an observation based on a chance sample that we happen to come across, and nobody would believe ALL Scorpio owners are the same.

The fact remains that the car - maybe on account of its size and cheap availability (comparatively) - is a favorite among the hordes of uncultured brutes we have everywhere on our streets. The term is used only to the sort of people we have in mind when we recall rather unpleasant instances, and doesn't refer to Scorpio owners as a whole. I do not know about other cities, but the problem's evident in B'lore for sure.

Hope nobody takes offense. There's no point in offending anyone anyway.

Last edited by skandyhere : 12th October 2007 at 02:37.
Old 12th October 2007, 08:04   #34
BHPian

Agree about the scoprios in Bangalore. Well, i have thought about this earlier too and if i compare it to say Safari, i must say the Sarari owners are far more gentle - No offence to anyone here, i am just putting down my observations.

Scorpio is a status symbol!! Even in a city like Bangalore!
Old 12th October 2007, 09:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
3. Most (not all) of Scorpio owners are Property dealers/builders/real estate types. I am not saying they are un-educated, but they are unlike the doctor/engineer/IT types in their behavior.
If you think IT folks (most of them engineers too) behave/drive too well, Bangalore would have been a heavenly place to drive in

Lets not generalize things. Scorpios/ Safaris being much taller / wider might give one a false sense of superiority, leading to such a behavior. There is no point engaging with bad drivers whether the are driving a Scorpio or a sedan.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
If you think IT folks (most of them engineers too) behave/drive too well, Bangalore would have been a heavenly place to drive in

Lets not generalize things. Scorpios/ Safaris being much taller / wider might give one a false sense of superiority, leading to such a behavior. There is no point engaging with bad drivers whether the are driving a Scorpio or a sedan.
Well I dont think anyone here is trying to say that the only bad drivers are the Scorpio owners or that all the Scorpio owners are bad drivers. In my opinion all types of car owners can be bad drivers. However observations have led me to believe that there is a greater probability of Scorpio owners (large SUV owners - not CRV for some reason) of being bad drivers as they might get the "own the road" feeling. In a car the feeling is generally reduced. I drive a Bolero around sometimes and the sheer size of the vehicle gives me the feeling too.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:39   #37
BHPian

Scorpio owners are mostly the neo-rich folks from the recent land/ real estate boom. The typical trait of these drivers is to have a thick bracelet, multiple (thick & thin) chains around the neck, top 3 shirt buttons are always open, chewing Paan & other tobacco products and have few thugs along with them. And as someone said that the local thugs usually drive these vehicles and they kind of portray the same arrogance while driving as well.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no point engaging with bad drivers whether the are driving a Scorpio or a sedan.
Very true, a bad driver is a bad driver no matter what vehicle he drives, we are not badmouthing Scorpio owners/drivers, it is just a percieved observation. Again I don't feel it has anything to do with Scorpio bashing as was pointed out earlier, Scorpio is a good vehicle, only sometimes it falls into the hands of the wrong kind of people. Mind you, these people would also drive any other vehicle in a similar fashion. Sad that they prefer the Scorpio to show off.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
How I wish so. Beyond that, I too agree with the general sentiments about Scorps. Man, a Scoprio in black do look like a villian.

My biggest problem off late has been Swifts/Santros with/without large "L" boards. They drive decently when there is less traffic. Whenever there is a slow moving traffic, you see them crawling from god knows where, trying to cut lane or go from left to right. Mostly they contribute to a longer traffic jam.
Here people learn to create traffic jams before they even know where the brake and accelerator is.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
(large SUV owners - not CRV for some reason)
'Cos its not a SUV & definitely not a large one, that's why - now I better get outta here before I'm flamed!

On a serious note, up here in the NCR, its not so much the Scorpios who are the villians, what say NCR guys? I see a fair bit of Scorpio's being driven very decently & tamely & sedately (to give the drivers their due). In fact, most times, they make way for the bigger silver vehicle in their mirrors though you always have the odd one who fancies his chance (and that makes my day !)

Last edited by suman : 12th October 2007 at 09:55.
Old 12th October 2007, 10:34   #41
BHPian

Lol !!

what next guys ?

Instant diarrhoea , when you see a scorpio in your RVMs ? or Insomnia and erectile dysfunction , as you watched an scorpio ad on telly , before going to sleep ? do these symptoms sustain for a longer period if the vehicle is black or white?

In bangalore , IT corridors are as bad as any in terms of lane cutting and rash driving . So the point about It guys driving their santros / swifts / balenos sedately, following all rules , is just a theory.

Btw, which is the one brand of vehicle in Blr , which you cant see being driven rashly? as far as I know, traffic in bangalore is like a zoo in peak hours , where a CEO of a company will be cutting lanes as much as a cabbie. So this condescending attitude towards " uneducated " others can be saved for future use IMO.

Purely My personal opinions .No offence meant to any one.

Last edited by w 12 : 12th October 2007 at 10:36.
Old 12th October 2007, 10:40   #42
BHPian

Scorpio overtakes my vehicle everyday

On my way to office and back home one scorpio overtake me while I am driving at 40-50 kmph. But some time this happens on a sharp blind turn of 2-lane road. While I slow down to 20-30kmph to take turn, this guy overtakes me with the vehicles in other direction are coming to his face at that point. And this maroon colored scorpio is driven by (so called) educated guy in his 30's.

But I always try to keep cool, no hurry. Next sigle this guy tries to overtake a truck /bus from left side, honking. I just pass thorugh from right side. Then again somehow same story...overtaking

Last edited by omishra : 12th October 2007 at 10:48.
Old 12th October 2007, 10:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
what next guys ?

Instant diarrhoea , when you see a scorpio in your RVMs ? or Insomnia and erectile dysfunction , as you watched an scorpio ad on telly , before going to sleep ? do these symptoms sustain for a longer period if the vehicle is black or white?
well,thats not the case here,whenever the so called black scop guys see a safari bearing a HR plate,they dare not to stay close

forget abt throwing someone out of the road.

what i'm trying to say here is that bad scorpio drivers (period) do their acts against small cars not against the bigger ones like Safari,Sumo,Qualis Cabs etc.
cos they also have mind to think that other guy sitting in a bigger vehicle can also be very nasty and after that experience they might not be able to sleep for days

no offence to anyone
Old 12th October 2007, 10:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
traffic in bangalore is like a zoo in peak hours , where a CEO of a company will be cutting lanes as much as a cabbie.
Very well said W12, wholeheartedly - this is true not only in Bangalore but even up here in the North. To me, these are the guys to watch out for because they NEVER look in their side mirrors before weaving from one side to another
Old 12th October 2007, 10:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
well,thats not the case here,whenever the so called black scop guys see a safari bearing a HR plate,they dare not to stay close
Guys, please keep mine is bigger than yours discussions out of the forum. Anyone can do that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks