Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 11:03   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
... the bride's dad (another real estate millionaire) gifted him a Skoda Laura
Think I got married a bit early.. Maybe I can talk my FIL into something worthwhile :-)
Old 12th October 2007, 11:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
cos they also have mind to think that other guy sitting in a bigger vehicle can also be very nasty and after that experience they might not be able to sleep for days

no offence to anyone
Being nasty isn't something to be proud of. That exactly is the malaise we're talking about on this thread. Don't take this personally, but your post goes off the mark in a way not too pleasant.
Old 12th October 2007, 11:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Probably the reason for this "rash" driving is too much low end torque.. As someone mentioned here, Scorp tends to lurch/jerk in a kind of drunken dance when coming to a stop or when starting off from stand still. Of course, this does not explain a lot of rash driving when the vehicle is cruising along..
Old 12th October 2007, 11:22   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Probably the reason for this "rash" driving is too much low end torque.. As someone mentioned here, Scorp tends to lurch/jerk in a kind of drunken dance when coming to a stop or when starting off from stand still...
If thats what they love so much about it, shouldnt they have invested in a cradle instead?
Old 12th October 2007, 11:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post

what i'm trying to say here is that bad scorpio drivers (period) do their acts against small cars not against the bigger ones like Safari,Sumo,Qualis Cabs etc.
To rephrase , bad drivers of all vehicles do their acts against smaller vehicles. What I am trying to say is that there are bad drivers ( period ) to be seen in all vehicles . And bad drivers are "secular" in the sense that they cut across all religions, regions, caste, econoimic strata, education levels, profession, cars owned etc.

All drivers of smaller cars usually complain that SUV drivers are road hogs and SUV drivers complain truck / bus drivers are maniacs.

And for a cyclist and a motorcyclist all 4 wheeler drivers are maniacs.

For a pedestrian who wants to cross a road , every one else on the road is a maniac!

This is certainly not a " mine is bigger " kind of argument. Just an observation on a very common trick our minds play , which is to see and perceive only what we want to see and had made up our minds on earlier , irrespective of inputs to the contrary.

No offence meant to anyone.
Old 12th October 2007, 11:37   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats well put W12. I have a unique perspective though - I see all other road users(smaller, bigger) without exception, as maniacs
Old 12th October 2007, 11:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
To rephrase , bad drivers of all vehicles do their acts against smaller vehicles. What I am trying to say is that there are bad drivers ( period ) to be seen in all vehicles . And bad drivers are "secular" in the sense that they cut across all religions, regions, caste, econoimic strata, education levels, profession, cars owned etc.
ROFL!! Too good mate and extremely true.

Quote:
All drivers of smaller cars usually complain that SUV drivers are road hogs and SUV drivers complain truck / bus drivers are maniacs.

And for a cyclist and a motorcyclist all 4 wheeler drivers are maniacs.

For a pedestrian who wants to cross a road , every one else on the road is a maniac!

This is certainly not a " mine is bigger " kind of argument. Just an observation on a very common trick our minds play , which is to see and perceive only what we want to see and had made up our minds on earlier , irrespective of inputs to the contrary.

No offence meant to anyone.
Yeah agreed! It is just the common sentiment isn't it? If there is ever an accident somehow the public always seems to think that the mistake was of the fellow in the bigger vehicle!
Old 12th October 2007, 11:38   #53
Team-BHP Support

w_12, while you have a point with what you said, i still cant get out of my head the image which the Scorpio has come to portray, despite how much i like the vehicle.
Old 12th October 2007, 20:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
what next guys ?

In bangalore , IT corridors are as bad as any in terms of lane cutting and rash driving . So the point about It guys driving their santros / swifts / balenos sedately, following all rules , is just a theory.

as far as I know, traffic in bangalore is like a zoo in peak hours , where a CEO of a company will be cutting lanes as much as a cabbie. So this condescending attitude towards " uneducated " others can be saved for future use IMO.

Purely My personal opinions .No offence meant to any one.
That's right. IT guys are as bad as any other (I'm one).

Anybody can drive rashly. But when an educated person does that it's a MORE SEVERE offence. So, when a CEO / IT guy does that he/she becomes CHEAPER than a cabbie. I've seen well dressed guys at the rear seat keeping mum when their driver cuts red, swerves lanes etc. It's like they think "I'm not doing it. It's my driver.".

That's one reason why i decided not to take the company transport. They drive like complete MORONS. BMTC drivers are better in comparison.

-- Torqy
Old 13th October 2007, 03:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

Now that this thread exists, it makes one retrospect. Two incidences (now when I recall they coincidentally involved scorpios)

1> Me and my sis are returning on a Saturday night from somewhere and we catch up with a scorpio doing all sorts of things in traffic to get ahead of it. Soon we are at an open stretch and Ikons murderous third gear takes the 2.6 crde from the windscreen and puts it in the Rear View mirror. After a few kms we slow down looking for a particular joint when the scorpio passes by. While doing so it cuts so vigorously near my front right fender, that I had to swerve to avoid a hit. I realise soon that there was no external stimulus, it was only his bust ego which caused him to act like that.

2> On the expressway we catch up a scorp and it straddles two lanes. Trying to overtake from any side would result him closing in a little bit. Very soon the expressway widens up and the third gear takes it, but while overtaking this guy spits pan (betel) on our car (thankfully or windows were up).

Both those occasions, first thing that hit my mind was that these guys have no class, it will indeed be self degrading to take them on. Second occasion we had 4 people on board so could have really taught him a lesson.

Now the most important part. It is still not right to generalise that scorpio owners are bad/rash. It is just that for some reason (be it advertising or the name) the car also appeal to a certain section.

I would hence also add Sumo Qualis to the list. But then, that would be for the taxi trade section which is taken for granted as comprising of uneducated drivers. We are talking about personally owned vehicles here. However most Safari's are pretty decent in Kolkata.

Last edited by 1100D : 13th October 2007 at 04:00.
Old 14th October 2007, 23:17   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Where I live and work, the real estate boom has turned illiterate villagers into millionaires overnight, and guess what the Scorpio is a status symbol for them. I personally know quite a few of these overnight millionaires and would be millionaires and almost all their dreams is to own a Scorpio.
They next upgrade to a Skoda, ie. after selling the second plot of land which was in the family for generations.

Most of these guys were not even having a clue about cars and driving and today they come and ask me " Saar, idhu Scorpio gaadi yengaithe??"
(Translated : Sir, how is this Scorpio vehicle?)

No offense to anybody who owns or drives a Scorpio, this is just my humble observation.

I have seen a couple of such examples.
Old 15th October 2007, 00:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Disclaimer: No ofence meant to any Scorpio owners.

I have seen a few guys who used to ride rickshaws and have got themselves a Scorpio after this so-called real estate money (even if that means liquidating valuable assets). What would a rickshaw driver do when given a Scorpio (which, again no offence meant - looks like a rickshaw from the driver's seat)? No prizes for guessing.

This rant is about how I've come to know about them - one of my friend runs a car accessories shop - they generally come there and say "saar, 1 TV, 1 boofer, 1 decku, 4 super speakers, 4 tyre capsu". My friend keeps talking about how they'd come with their rickshaws for the same sometime ago and when he refused working on the autos, now that they have a Scorpio - they try to flaunt some ego.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 15th October 2007 at 00:21.
Old 15th October 2007, 00:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

I thought it was only in Hyd that most of Scorpio drivers try to bully the other vehicles. I have been noticing this for the past few years.

Scorpio is sure a status symbole in real estate people and politicians. Innovas slowly replacing the scorpios for the later class of people. Even the AP CM's convoy and other ministers cars were replaced with black scorpios. Earlier they were using the old TDI Safaris.

It is a style in telugu movies to show the hero or villan driving in a convoy of Scorpios (90% of the time it is black). Earlier they were using Sumos and don't think twice exploding a few of them in to air.
Old 15th October 2007, 02:54   #59
BHPian

While I agree with most that Scorpio's are driven quite rashly compared to other vehicles, i would like to invoke my experience with the vehicle while at it, I feel in a congested city like Bangalore the size and punchy engine does give you a temptation to 'go for it' feeling more than other vehicles!

Yes,political stooges and real estate guys are the major bunch here! In fact you would be interested to know that one of the major dealer's nowadays Sheeresh belongs to a major real estate guy!

These guy's need no Scorpio,any vehicle they sit in gives them the same kick! Unfortunately no other car seems to grab their attention. As far as the jerky stopping,the vehicle does not stop as well as it moves! repeated braking from high velocity 'fades' its focus in stopping,

So my two bits as a practical observer(since i own multiple uvs includes scorpio) is: It is the loose nut(s) behind the wheel who dunnit.

Last edited by Desert fox : 15th October 2007 at 02:55. Reason: typing omisson
Old 15th October 2007, 13:20   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
What would a rickshaw driver do when given a Scorpio (which, again no offence meant - looks like a rickshaw from the driver's seat)? No prizes for guessing.

Looks like most of the posters here are extremely class conscious and were born with multiple silver spoons in their mouth and a garage full of ferraris and porsches. So much so that Scorpio becomes an autorickshaw! or it is a case of seriusly impaired vision. Hope Balenos and Ikons with a k & n sticker and a loud exhaust and wide tyres do not look like Maserati and lamborgini to you. And what does an actual auto rickshaw look like to you ? childrens tricycle?

Unfortunately not every one in India is born so lucky. May be your friend can refuse to sell stuff to Scorpio owners and put his money where his mouth is , if he does not like selling to autorickshaws

BTW, why should we expect an autodriver to remain an autodriver all his life ? he can move up in his life just as we want to move up in ours. he can do anything with the car he bought with his hard earned money , as long as it is not illegal and not against laws of the land. Would you like an "auto driver " to question the number of speakers / woofers in your car ? I dont think so.

Nothing personal here and Absolutely no offence meant or taken.

P>S> some other favourite cars of the "real estate " auto guys - Esteem ,old zen, swift D , Ikon D ( now fiesta ) ,Skoda 1.9D , and once they really make it big , Mercedes C class .

May be you can psycho analyse these cars and their drivers as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks