Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 16:20   #31

May his soul RIP.

RHS Rear door child lock is an excellent pedestrian safety idea. I am implementing it immediately in my car. Will encourage our administration to do so in our car pools too.

BMTCs and Trucks are too huge to control in response to bikes and not as sophisticated as cars. Those drivers do it for thier job. Let us give them that consideration for doing that difficult job for living. We the more informed car and bike users can plan those extra few minutes in our travel plan. Missing signals are the biggest time guzzlers. Other misses can be caught up. If we have 10 signals and every signal is of average 1 minute waiting time. We may miss 50% of the signals due to these external factors. Can we plan that additional 5-10 minutes for that approximately 6-12 km stretch?

At high speeds things happen much faster than we think. We are used to high speed braking but not for other things like skid etc. I have experienced an accident at 160 kmph (odometer) at Bangalore - Chennai highway (I was lucky, it was a Opel Corsa and I was wearing seat belt.). Accident is different at that speed.

Responsible driving is the key. Let us start that from us.
Old 18th October 2007, 13:22   #32
BHPian

Sympathies to the families of the road accident victim.

Agree with Ram 100% - i had posted few months ago that it is safe to assume, when you see a parked car, that a moron will open the door without checking, and you will be hit. Therefore slow down. I wish the rider had been a tbhp member & read that post.

Rash driving by motorcyclists is a huge cause for accidents. Sad that the dead person will never benefit from the knowledge and the ones reading / watching don't learn either.

Was any action taken against the person opening door? Though the death of the motorcyclist cannot be laid at the door of this guy, because he was racing, at least he can be penalised for rash and negligent road behaviour that endangers other road users.
Old 18th October 2007, 14:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freecat View Post
May his soul RIP.
At high speeds things happen much faster than we think. We are used to high speed braking but not for other things like skid etc. I have experienced an accident at 160 kmph (odometer) at Bangalore - Chennai highway (I was lucky, it was a Opel Corsa and I was wearing seat belt.). Accident is different at that speed.

Responsible driving is the key. Let us start that from us.
Let me invite you to this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...gh-speeds.html

I'm sure you'll have some valuable comments.

-- Torqy
Old 19th October 2007, 11:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

does anyone know about who takes the blaim in this case?? Was the bus stopped and was the bus driver / an idiot who opened the car door were taken to the police station or something!!!
Old 19th October 2007, 11:47   #35
BHPian

First of all, may his soul RIP.

Secondly, I see the biker is being blamed. To a large extent, I do support you. But let's take a general scenario on the road. What does the lane discipline say? The fastest on the right, the medium ones on the middle and the slowest on the left most lane. But do any of the people follow this on road, especially the four wheelers. I don't understand why the buses/cars think they are the fastest on road (I mean a busy road and not an empty stretch) that they occupy whole of right lane. So naturally, the bikers try to over take from the left. Anyone who wants to argue over this point can take a ride/drive and actually start noticing the slow moving buses/cars on the right. And from personal experience when I had a chance to speak to one of the bus drivers and ask him why they stick to right lane, he replied " I just dont care, I dont want to be on the left most lane coz its slow!"..I understand his impatience and frustration, but doesnt it come with his job? So next time on, its a sincere request to all people in cars to be more sensitive to the traffic around and choose the right lane. I know most of you here do follow it, but also educate the lesser informed ones.

Last edited by HellwratH : 19th October 2007 at 11:58.
Old 19th October 2007, 11:50   #36
BANNED

Which country are you from

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
What does the lane discipline say? The fastest on the left, the medium ones on the middle and the slowest on the right most lane.
Old 19th October 2007, 11:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Oops, I meant the slowest on the left and so on....will edit the post..thank you!
Old 19th October 2007, 12:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I guess he was trying to explain the correct lane discipline but he stated exactly what we see on the roads...

As I mentioned earlier and someone just echoed, those bus / truck even the small vehicles like auto and other carrier vehicles like to stick to the right lane and never moves along the correct (left) lane at low speed. The reason is bad traffic habits by others and all vehicles parked on the left lane, they dont want to break their speed (relatively slow @~40!!) and stick to the right (fast) lane...

I have found myself honking to these people sometimes, then I overtake from left and I ride / drive at ~20 KMPH in front of them (on fast lane) and then you should see that bus / truck driver.. but still he will not change his lane and move to slower lane... thats how it works in most of the cities in Inida,, sad!!
Old 19th October 2007, 12:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
As I mentioned earlier and someone just echoed, those bus / truck even the small vehicles like auto and other carrier vehicles like to stick to the right lane and never moves along the correct (left) lane at low speed. The reason is bad traffic habits by others and all vehicles parked on the left lane, they dont want to break their speed (relatively slow @~40!!) and stick to the right (fast) lane...

I have found myself honking to these people sometimes, then I overtake from left and I ride / drive at ~20 KMPH in front of them (on fast lane) and then you should see that bus / truck driver.. but still he will not change his lane and move to slower lane... thats how it works in most of the cities in Inida,, sad!!
There is this blue colored private local bus that i encounter almost every day on Bannerghatta road, with people hanging onto it by their toenails literally. It is always being driven bang in the middle of the road... even when left side is completely empty, at least for the next 200 meters. I have to resort to incessant honking (which i hate) and rampant flashing of headlights alongwith small fidgety looking movements of the car in order to get the bus to move to the left lane. And as soon as i pass it, the bus moves back into the center of the road, blocking other hopefuls behind me.
Sigh... "might is right" seems to be the motto for most...
Old 19th October 2007, 12:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
There is this blue colored private local bus that i encounter almost every day on Bannerghatta road, with people hanging onto it by their toenails literally.
Actually, most of these buses on Hosur road and Bannerghatta road are Tamil Nadu state buses that do not care a damn about people on road.
Old 19th October 2007, 12:40   #41
Team-BHP Support

Hellwrath, lets not generalize. One finds the same in majority of the local BMTC buses as well. I guess its the same scene everywhere.
Old 19th October 2007, 12:42   #42
BHPian

Why I am at right always?

May his soul RIP!

You know, why I drive in the centre of 2 lane road? (I use car)

Because if you try to drive at left side, you will find lots of people at bus stop standing on the road for waiting bus. Same time waiting autowalas are there. So one can not avoid them until you avoid that lane. Again I found bicycle riders if I honk them then instead of giving way they try to peddle fast. Also they keep talking to each other while riding, I mean in a row blocking road.

So make sure that atleast on one side (RHS) there is no one, drive near the divider, whatever the speed is...you will move faster.
Old 19th October 2007, 12:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Sad, may his soul RIP.

Accidents like these have become very common, and might increase. thanks to the irresponsible people on the road. its not constrained to a segment of vehicle... Bikes, Autos. Cars, Buses, Trucks... it just depends on who is driving/riding. hope people get responsible and ride/drive safely.
Old 19th October 2007, 12:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Actually, most of these buses on Hosur road and Bannerghatta road are Tamil Nadu state buses that do not care a damn about people on road.
Agree... these buses are more dangerous then BMTC!
Old 19th October 2007, 12:50   #45
BHPian

Benbsb29:

Well, my bad that I didn't communicate properly. My reference was to the amitoj's private bus which very well could be a TN state bus coz most of them do look like private buses.

omishra,
True about the people on bicycles, they try to pedal faster when you honk. Guess they take the "Nothing is impossible" line too seriously..what they dont understand is the limitations of a cycle over cars/bikes etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks