Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 10:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Performance Boosters for vehicle behind you - Your TURN INDICATORS

From the day I have started driving vehicle, I have always observed how the performance of a car behind you can shoot up as soon as you turn on the indicator for right or left turn.

Many many times and I guess always, it happens that when I give the signal to turn left or right, driver behind me which was running at a constant speed, all of the sudden press the pedal to make sure I do not cross before him/her. I guess they feel that the car in front is cat curse and they will have to wait in case I cross from front.

I even have a lots of fun on that as well, sometimes I use it as fun showing my wife that I can make the guy behind me to push the pedal by giving the turn indicator, and as they rush to stop me and pass by, I give them a grin naughty smile, making them realize what they are doing.

I always thought that this is a common trait of taxi and call center drivers in Delhi and Gurgaon. But now a days I see this trait more on well educated drivers, people wearing tie driving big cars etc etc.

Today morning when I signaled for a left turn to enter into my office building area, all of the sudden this scorpio owner, wearing tie and all, pushed the pedal hard to make sure I do not cross before him. Traffic was at 20 KM/Hr speed. very frustrating. And against my rules, I pressed the pedal harder to teach him the lesson, though the wrong way. but I was angry as to how people like him, work on big MNC, behave so badly.
Old 17th October 2007, 10:45   #2
BHPian

I have had mixed reactions in this situation. In some cases, yes, they do try to go fast and make sure they have the way.

I think, if the car behind is able to overtake you when you switch on the indicators, then it must be very close to you - and i guess he probably has the right of way anyway. I mean he is just following his lane.

However, what i found is, if i switched on the indicators well in advance (probably before 5 secs before i make the lane change) most people still honk, but that is more of a FYI kind of honk than an aggressive one.

But again, a lot depends on the kind of locality you are driving. In Bangalore too, i see a difference between RajajiNagar where i stay (sedate) and CVRaman Nagar (little more aggressive).
Old 17th October 2007, 11:39   #3
BHPian

Yeah a trend like that seems to be appearing on NCR roads. But I guess the instigator for this are the stupid drivers who think they have the right to do anything on the road just by turning on their car indicators. I mean I have seen people trying to change lanes when a vehicle is already there. All they do is turn on the indicator and start moving left or right, without checking if a vehicle is approaching or is already sideways! I think it's a case of some bad fishes spoiling the whole pond.
Old 17th October 2007, 12:48   #4
BHPian

i have seen the same "performance booster" effect when the traffice signal turns yellow from green
and this phenomenon is across all cars/two wheelers!
Old 17th October 2007, 13:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Yeah a trend like that seems to be appearing on NCR roads. But I guess the instigator for this are the stupid drivers who think they have the right to do anything on the road just by turning on their car indicators. I mean I have seen people trying to change lanes when a vehicle is already there. All they do is turn on the indicator and start moving left or right, without checking if a vehicle is approaching or is already sideways! I think it's a case of some bad fishes spoiling the whole pond.
These stupid drivers does not even care to blink indicators, or signal to turn.

What i feel is that if there is enough distance between the vehicles and we are driving on constant speeds, then people should respect for the driver asking for turn instead pushing hard to make sure you do not get a chance to turn.

I am talking about the cases where people just push the pedal because you are asking for turn.
Old 17th October 2007, 13:32   #6
BANNED

Just because you have the indicator on does not mean you can cross the other lane. The person taking the turn should assess whether the car behind is too close or a bit far off form him/her to adjust his speed to allow you to turn. If you are crossing over his lane to take the turn you are in the wrong lane and should give him way before turning on to his lane.
Old 17th October 2007, 14:07   #7
BHPian

I have seen truckers using turn indicators (right turn signal) for letting us overtake them. Is this a right practice.
Old 17th October 2007, 17:17   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

LOL rkbharat, your thread title had me in splits. Unfortunately this and some other similar nuances are a part of our daily life. Ever noticed how the oncoming truck suddenly starts speeding when you overtake on a two-lane highway?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks