Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:10   #1
BHPian

Techie dies in road mishap opposite HAL police station

This happened on Friday 19/10/2007.
BMTC bus hits a biker from behind killing him on the spot.
Saw the body lying on the road.

First though that came to my mind was 'Helmet could have saved his life'.
May his soul rest in peace.

I wonder why the helmet rule is not enforced strictly in Bangalore.
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:13   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwall View Post

I wonder why the helmet rule is not enforced strictly in Bangalore.
Do we really need some outside agency to 'enforce' a rule for our own safety? I think the bigger question is why don't people value their own lives enough to wear helmets?
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwall View Post
This happened on Friday 19/10/2007.
BMTC bus hits a biker from behind killing him on the spot.
Saw the body lying on the road.
Lots of two-wheeler riders have this habit of overtaking a bigger vehicle and then slow down for no reason. Even when I am in a car, I am not comfortable with a bigger vehicle right behind me. Somehow bikers don't mind, and that's a shame. I always put some distance between my car and any bikers ahead of me.
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Helmets in 2 wheelers and Seat-belts in 4 wheelers, people in Bangalore(think it's all over india) seems to avoid them as plague.I just can't understand why the so called bright people can't understand that these devices are on their side when the things turn ugly.I always have to remind most of my friends to buckle up and they do it only after much haggling.
And may this guys Soul rest in peace.It's really sad.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 22nd October 2007 at 11:29.
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even in Delhi, many people do not use helmets. Even when they do, the attitude in buying one is not for safety but to avoid a challan. I have seen many helmets falling down on their own and breaking. See the helmets and you may wonder if they are of any help. Second, people do not use helmets if going say nearby to a grocery store. They think accidents happen only on main roads.
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

There were two nuts in two wheelers in the same road at almost the same place on Airport road. One had his helmet on without the strap locked and the other had his helmet dangling from his hand while driving his bike. (He had an IBM bag). He was weaving between traffic and I just let him go...

What else is there left to say.
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:58   #7
BHPian

Its a funny country when it comes to Helmets. There was much hue and cry from the people and Politicians alike in Maharashtra and T.N when helmet rule was to be enforced. Majority who were anti helmet were worried that they will lose visibility(due to visor), hearing (due to covered ears), HAIR!!!!! when wearing a helmet.

Ironically these are the same guys when given a car will not care two hoots about decking up their car with the most expensive stereos and blast it at full volume and blind up all the glasshouse with the darkest choice of sun film.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:11   #8
BHPian

I don't know why people behave so pathetically when it comes to helmets or seat belts. A lot of my friends and relatives refuse to wear seat belts saying "Arrey yahan koi nahi pakadta hai" These fools don't understand that it's not for the cops but for their own safety. People like these make me want to tear my hair out. Usually, when I have such people in my car, I just refuse to start the car unless they buckle up. Many times, I've even asked them to get out of my car and take some other mode of transport.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:13   #9
BHPian

RIP.

Please let the careless ones go. We need more space in this country.

For others, who care about themselves, their fellow habitants, and the future of their respective race(s), please wear a helmet / seat-belt, based on what you move on.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:52   #10
BANNED

If well educated Techies are avoiding wearing helmats then what about normal people?Come on guys dont take these things as a easy thing take care of yourself and your family always wear helmets and always use your seat belts.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:17   #11
BHPian

Techie dies in road mishap

of late there are corporates which insist their employees coming in two wheelers to wear helmets otherwise they do not allow entry...

all said and done, we need to realise it is our dear life and should think of our family members before not obeying the traffic rules...

poor guy...
Old 22nd October 2007, 19:35   #12
BANNED

The armed forces do not allow two wheelers inside the campuses unless the riders have helmets on. Why can't civilians follow the rule??
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:21   #13
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Lots of two-wheeler riders have this habit of overtaking a bigger vehicle and then slow down for no reason.
Most of the posters in this thread have rightly condemned the fact that the victim did not wear a helmet. But equally important is to develop the correct driving habits.

When I drove a two-wheeler (a Kinetic Honda) for about 10 years in Bangalore, I did the following:

1. Service scooter regularly and keep it in top shape. Especially tyres, brakes, lights, indicators, horn, battery.
2. Fit left rear-view mirror and use both RVMs frequently to know what's behind, especially during lane-cutting/turning.
3. Drive at 50-60 kmph whenever possible, and keep moving by cutting lanes or squeezing through gaps (but not insanely small gaps). This will ensure that most of the bus guys or other big vehicles, including cars, don't breathe down your neck. But never make another guy brake while cutting lanes, especially after overtaking. And slow down suitably, according to visibility (e.g. night time) or road condition.
5. Use both brakes (*very* important for both stability and stopping distance).
6. Let faster vehicles go after seeing them in RVMs well in advance.
7. If it is raining, be extra-cautious when cornering or lane-cutting.

I have had only one minor accident in 50000 kms of driving and that happend at night when another scooter from the opposite direction turned right across me into a side road. Slow speed collision, not much damage.

Yet many people have told me that 50-60 kmph is too fast for a scooter and urged me to drive at 30-40 kmph. I think such a slow speed on the main road is more dangerous as you will be continuously overtaken with the possibility of getting hit from behind.

Last edited by rks : 22nd October 2007 at 20:25.
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
of late there are corporates which insist their employees coming in two wheelers to wear helmets otherwise they do not allow entry...
hence the helmets hanging in hand, bike rear, on head hanging half aearating the HAIR......etc. so that on the gate they can be positioned for a legal entry.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 22nd October 2007 at 20:50.
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The armed forces do not allow two wheelers inside the campuses unless the riders have helmets on. Why can't civilians follow the rule??
I know of a big automation IT company located on Banergatta road and who opened up a big campus on outer ring road recently that they do not allow anyone riding a 2 wheeler without helmet from the main gate. If for whatsoever reason you failed to turn up without helmet, you have to walk inside, borrow it from someone and then only get inside. A rule is a rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks