Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Not just Bangalore and Delhi, Mumbai is not far behind. I just returned some time ago and while waiting at a signal, I noticed that apart from myself, just one more biker was wearing a helmet. 15 others were not. The cops were very much present, but, didn't seem to care. Wonder what happened to the helmet rule.
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel View Post
If for whatsoever reason you failed to turn up without helmet, you have to walk inside, borrow it from someone and then only get inside.
the problem is we find workarounds the moment a rule is brought up.

reminds me of PAN requirements and a small form if one did not have a PAN. 95% of IT returns in my office were done with that form, even if folks had a PAN.
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I know of a big automation IT company located on Banergatta road and who opened up a big campus on outer ring road recently that they do not allow anyone riding a 2 wheeler without helmet from the main gate. If for whatsoever reason you failed to turn up without helmet, you have to walk inside, borrow it from someone and then only get inside. A rule is a rule.
OT: Ah, my office(in whitefield) follows that principle to the core. In fact as you enter on a 2 wheeler, you have to wear the helmets. People sometimes hang them on their arms by the straps and try to enter but they are not allowed in and have to park outside and walk in.
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Not just Bangalore and Delhi, Mumbai is not far behind. I just returned some time ago and while waiting at a signal, I noticed that apart from myself, just one more biker was wearing a helmet. 15 others were not. The cops were very much present, but, didn't seem to care. Wonder what happened to the helmet rule.
Absolutely true Aditya. I also have noticed another thing, which most of the riders and infact few of my acquaintances have also got used to. They hook up their helmet to the rear of the bike and the cops let them go. Once I had just asked my friend how come the cops dont stop you. All he said was, yaar, they dont and even if they do, all I have to say is that, just had taken it off to catch a breather. Was gonna wear it back and the signal. I was like, they believe in this story and he said, they surely do buy it. So people these days garnish their rear spoilers on their bikes with their helmet, instead of wearing one.
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
hence the helmets hanging in hand, bike rear, on head hanging half aearating the HAIR......etc. so that on the gate they can be positioned for a legal entry.
Exactly. Everyday I see this guy riding a silver colour CBZ with the helmet safely sitting in the petrol tank. I see him going like this on the Outer Ring Road all the way from Marathalli to RMZ Ecospace. Once he enters the service road, he juggles with one hand to remove his specs and wear the helmet with the bike still doing good speeds

So corporates enforcing helmet rule wont do any good. People have to understand that helmets are for their own safety. Guess there is a major need for safety awareness in our country.
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:36   #21
BHPian

Well what I feel is that no amount of policing will help.

I have asked a few of people why they dont like to wear helmets, the answer i got for most cases was "Hair ishtile kharaab hota hai".
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwall View Post
First though that came to my mind was 'Helmet could have saved his life'.
May his soul rest in peace.
Sqwall, this guy was from my organisation. We got an email informing us of his sad demise. He is survived by his Father. Very sad indeed. He had just joined the company a few months back. I just hope people drive with more sense.

Are you sure he was not wearing a helmet? Cause I want to take up this with our admin guys to make the helmet rule compulsory for everyone in our organisation as well
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:43   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh_hunt View Post
Are you sure he was not wearing a helmet? Cause I want to take up this with our admin guys to make the helmet rule compulsory for everyone in our organisation as well
You will find that they cannot do much unless

The vehicle is owned by the company
They can withhold compensation / insurance in unlikely event of an accident whee negligence has been proven which I do not think can be done as insueres would have used this clause a long time ago
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear that. heart goes out to his family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Lots of two-wheeler riders have this habit of overtaking a bigger vehicle and then slow down for no reason.

yes i notice it a lot. they put a lot of effort and pass you and once they are bang in front slow down
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

May his soul RIP.

Dont know when people will get responsible, its not just wearing a helmet but also riding carefully matters. if one takes unecessary chances he will be ready for the consiquencess too. anway i dont know if the rider was at fault.

Coming to the point of helmet, just wearing Hemet wont suffice. wearing the right helmet, which fits perfect and is of good quality waht matters.
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:24   #26
BHPian

People here wear helmets for the sake of police not for themselves! Yesterday my cousin met with an accident after getting down from mysore road flyover, a wooden piece fell out of the lorry directly in front of her byke and her wheel went over it, she lost balance and fell, luckily I made her always wear helmet (it was a pain to convince everyday!) and it really saved her from a big cut on face. She had minor bruises and some cuts on the leg....
Its very tough to convince people here to wear helmets or seat belts. The other day when i got my Gsport seat cover done for my swift the installer had put my seat belt hooks under the cover even though there was an option in the cover to hold those, when i asked him to take them out he says most people ask me to do this as those hooks are annoying and 3 people cant sit comfortably in the rear seat, I told him sir, "first save your life then think of comfort".

Whenever I try wearing seat belts in office cabs most cab drivers make fun!! but i never really care about those morons,
this is the attitude of people towards seat belts or helmets.
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:26   #27
BHPian

It is very sad to read about educated youngsters dying like this in road accidents when simple steps taken at the right time / place would have prevented the accidents.

what is it that makes two wheeler riders feel invincible ? Even a helmet is poor protection if a bus bumps a two wheeler from behind. The way two wheelers ride on the streets, cutting corners, cutting lanes, overtaking badly, going on the wrong side of the road, riding on the footpath, even neogiating between much bigger vehicles at traffic signals.

Dont they think of their families back home? dont they worry that their parents will be left without any support in their old age or that their wife will be left without a companion or that their child will never grow up with the security of a father?

Or is the prayer that they offer to the almighty before leaving home every morning sufficient? Is that what gives them the feeling of invincibility? The tikka that they put on their forehead each morning? Do they think that God has the time to look after every single idiot and moron who puts his (and others) life in danger on our Indian roads?

I see plenty (and I do mean, plenty) of men on 2 wheelers balancing a mobile phone on a shoulder raised towards the ear while the helment is 'half-on, half-off' talking 19 to a dozen while continuing to ride a two-wheeler. I really feel so irritated. What is so important that needs to be answered then and there? What is so important about your destination that you cannot stop at the side of the road for a couple of minutes to take that very important call? Idiots, morons, brainless are the words that come to mind and sometimes i do scream it out at them.

It is not a question of wearing a helmet or not or even the quality of the helmet as it is of the head and brain that a helmet seeks to protect. Is it not worth the effort the parents have invested 20+ long years to bring up the child, to educate him and protect him until then to wear a helmet and do so properly? For a parent to lose a young child at the beginning of the most productive and enjoyable phase of his life must be truly heart wrenching. As bystanders we feel so sad when we hear of someone dying in a road accident, one can only imagine the anguish of a parent.

I am sure each one of us (and others who are not members here) would prefer that their son, brother, husband, father (or sister, mother, wife, daughter, as the case may be) arrives home a few minutes late each day, rather than not at all.

"Use your brain, wear a helmet" should be the tagline; not 'wear a helmet, save your life". Or "Use your brain, drive safely"

Last edited by Wheeliej : 23rd October 2007 at 18:30.
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:49   #28
BHPian

Our company disallows entry to any 2 wheelers without a helmet

O yeah .. you have lines of employee vehicles parked outside the gates, people just don't get it do they ?
Old 23rd October 2007, 22:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

It pains to see the careless two-wheelers. First, they don't wear helmets and after that they ride like crazy. Trying to squeeze between two moving vehicles, trying to get on the dividers instead of taking proper U-turns - hell!

I really hope things improve with the two-wheelers. It is indeed saddening. Let his soul rest in peace.
Old 23rd October 2007, 23:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I know of a big automation IT company located on Banergatta road and who opened up a big campus on outer ring road recently that they do not allow anyone riding a 2 wheeler without helmet from the main gate. If for whatsoever reason you failed to turn up without helmet, you have to walk inside, borrow it from someone and then only get inside. A rule is a rule.
I work there. And guess what? I saw this guy leaving the office without helmet. Right in front of the security guard. I was about to ask the security but then...it wasn't something unseen before.

Most Viewed