Team-BHP - Well-built Uno
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Well-built Uno (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/30393-well-built-uno.html)

was driving to the sriperumbudur track this sunday and traffic was held up for about 15 minutes. there was an accident up ahead a container sized machine part had slid of the trailer and fallen on a uno.i was surprised to see that the unos roof was strong enough to hold out without crushing the occupants. i dunno if this goes to say something about the build quality of fiats

Yepp.. Built like a tank :)

and bear in mind, its atleast a seven-eight year old car.

With our alto, i'm not sure if it'll take that kinda impact today, forget seven years later :D

:) thats the fiat build! its hard as steel. I think the same's with the palio as well (I know I am stoking a hornets nest here!). There is a sense of assurance when you get into the car. But I really dont know if it iwll be able to handle the same on top.

Actually Fiat uses a very strong metal body structure which add to the weight of the car...no doubt a palio gives only 8-9 kmpl due to its body weight.

still lacks the FE which is the main cause ppl stay away from it. I guess the same thing will happen even when Fiat introduces DDiS engines in Palios they will give an average of 15 -16 whereas swift DDiS gives more then 20+

Nothing specific about Fiats here, all European manufacturers (apart from the French till about a couple of years back) make well-built cars. Think Astra, Corsa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 604428)
Nothing specific about Fiats here, all European manufacturers (apart from the French till about a couple of years back) make well-built cars. Think Astra, Corsa.

Second 1100D on that. Have owned an Astra since past 4 years. Had been involved in an accident once. Was on a slope and the dumb truck driver in front of me couldnt lift the truck up when the signal went green. Had kept some distance between the truck and my car before stopping as I knew he would back a bit. But due to some fault in his gear box, the first gear didnt engage and it straight away came onto my car. If my Honda city would have been in this case, the bonnet would have crumbled badly, but there was a slight dent and scratch on my Astra. Really feel European Engineering is sturdy. Yes will absolutely agree about the French part also :p. But still my Astra gives me a safer feeling than my city.

My Friend was telling me just this evening that he bought his 1.2 Palio few years back just cause he saw a Palio which had rammed into the rear of a stationary truck. Front crumpled quite a bit. Occupants safe !!

I remember my cousin mentioning how rugged the Uno was. The wonderful roads in kerala,post monsoon, and the ever-so-often minor accidents really didn't do much harm to the Uno. It wasn't very comfortable,but it sure took a lot of harsh treatment without breaking down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillram (Post 603860)
Actually Fiat uses a very strong metal body structure which add to the weight of the car...no doubt a palio gives only 8-9 kmpl due to its body weight.

Palio weighs about the same as a Swift. And can you substantiate that statement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 604509)
Palio weighs about the same as a Swift. And can you substantiate that statement?

If you are asking this from the FE perspective how much does the Swift return?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 604513)
If you are asking this from the FE perspective how much does the Swift return?

50kmpllol:

Dont ask a maruti fan, whats the fuel efficiency!

Well, I am given to believe, from driving experience, that a Swift, which has approximately 100cc more than a Palio 1.2, returns about 13 kmpl. I'm told, and have experience of the fact that the Palio returns less.

I was actually asking hillram to substantiate this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by hillram
Actually Fiat uses a very strong metal body structure

But we digress...

Body weight is not an indicator of the strength of the shell. The Strength depends on how the structure is designed. I think this is what you are trying to say.

Infact Swift being equally heavy fails to feel equally strong. On the same counts Fords "optimize" rigidity to body weight pretty good.