Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2007, 19:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

Am appalled how the discussion in this thread is diverted from SX4 to Palio!

And it is fine bcoz a Mod started this OT discussion!
Old 24th October 2007, 19:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Point of the matter is not about the joke TSK had to share. Its more to do with why was the Palio put in a thread related to SX-4.
Hey c'mon, don't u know this is T-BHP and no thread is complete without mention of palio and baleno ;-)

\N
Old 24th October 2007, 20:32   #63
Team-BHP Support

Okay boys,

Lets try and get back to the topic please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Firstly apologies for the misleading title. Over enthusiasm to put the topic for discussion led to it !! Also my anger at the every increasing dents on my Swift from minor skirmishes led to me rushing with the post.

But the fact remains that the gauge of the Maruti metal is their weak link in comparison to the other manufacturers. From the pic you can see at max 250 kgs of weight would have piled on the roof that too not instantaneously.
Therefore roof need not have really dented.
emkay,

Im pretty sure that if you get 4 grown men to celebrate on the roof of any car, there will be dents.
However, im not doubting that some cars dent easier than others, but then again (as below) thats what keeps FE high and manufacturing costs low, which is probably why you like your swift too...right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
One has to take a more pragmatic look into why such a practice is followed by car makers -

1. Lesser metal in tha car will reduce the body weight thus increasing the power to weight ratio and makign the car more peppier.
2. Lesser weight means higher FE
3. Lesser weight means less wear and tear of movable parts (Tyre, brakes etc.)
4. Lesser weight gives lesser braking distance for the same speed.
5. Lesser weight means lesser money to produce cars.

Yes thin sheet metal bodied cars have disadvantage of being fragile but advantages IMO more than outweigh this disadvantage.
Well said DieselFan,

To add another point, the stronger/thicker (~=heavier) the metal is on the roof, will raise the CG of the car and make more bodyroll and pitching happen.

Also, in terms of rollovers its the pillars that must be taking most of the load, and hence the thickness of the roof doesnt really matter too much.

cya
R
Old 24th October 2007, 20:49   #64
Team-BHP Support

Now, since there are many heated arguments going around. Dont know if this would be too OT.

But since we are thinking of using cars to carry passengers 'on' it. Palio is not the winner here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Humm let me think which car is actually designed to take 11 guys not inside but outside. ............
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ve-road-3.html
Can't spot the players in there though! Whole stadium has joined in!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th October 2007 at 20:55.
Old 25th October 2007, 00:11   #65
Team-BHP Support

Since quite a few of you seem to have an idea that some cars would have withstood those hefty grown up set of 4 on the roof let me tell you I really doubt that. And here is why. Many suggested that an Amby can withstand that. The answer is NO it can not... and thats first hand experience speaking. As a kid when I lived in Kanpur one day I heard a loud thud outside the house. It was more like "dddhuppppp... pataaaaak". I came out and saw what had happened. The amby which had come from the office to pick my neighbor up (we lived in a Min. of Defence estate) was parked under a tree. A rotund monkey decided to take a fall from the tree directly on the roof of the car. And that left a huge dent, more like a crater on the roof of the amby. The poor driver who had gone to call my neighbor came back and was standing next to the car with a completely bewildered expression on his face.

So there... the amby could not take a monkeys weight. Anyhow, the roof is the single largest piece of sheet metal without any support to prop it up. The moral being, any cars roof will not be able to avoid a dent if people decide to sit on it rather than inside.
Old 25th October 2007, 00:19   #66
Team-BHP Support

Well I made an OT joke, because this thread is a joke. Five hefty guys sitting on the top of the roof, and roof not caving is kind of hard to believe. Roof will cave in any car, be it a rolls or a Maruti.
So with the kind of silly discussion it is about, this is more like the joke thread, and crazy driver has made the best post on this thread now.

As for owning a palio, we do have a Palio in the family. It was horrible. Gave lots of trouble, and was expensive to maintain. After that we stopped going to A.S.S. and it became trouble free. Now it runs with an LPG kit and is more economical than the safari to run, which is parked next to it.

Regarding the tank like build, once after starting the foot slipped off the clutch pedal and it lurched into the wall at a good speed.But the damage was surprisingly very less.

Any ways I did not refer to the Palio as Polio or Cholera, nor did I call it a Polka dot. All I said that
1. It has a tank like build
2. It can survive 20kg concrete blocks.

Now tell me where have I insulted the car. I have seen posts of Santro's doing 0-100 in 7 seconds, and Skoda RSs churning around 400bhp, etc., etc.,
Can't go about deleting those threads, can we?

If I had insulted the Palio, for example by calling it any names, it could be saying I am offending people who are part of the Palio family or are related to it in any way. But I am only exaggerating the build quality of the same margin.

this is same as Ford fiesta giving 32kmpl and Hyundai verna giving 40kmpl.

So please do not think moderators are biased.
I assure you that if I had dare to insult Mr. Palio, I would have been swiftly dealt with by mods.
Old 25th October 2007, 00:40   #67
Team-BHP Support

As kids, my friends and I have done some really atrocious things. We were a wild bunch. Don't want to go too much into details, but, I can tell you safely, that no car can take much weight on its roof without getting dented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Chaps, don't try this at home!
Old 25th October 2007, 00:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Now, since there are many heated arguments going around. Dont know if this would be too OT.

But since we are thinking of using cars to carry passengers 'on' it. Palio is not the winner here!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ve-road-3.html
Can't spot the players in there though! Whole stadium has joined in!
Hey, that's a mahindra, it is not Italian, right ? It is Desi.
Old 25th October 2007, 00:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

This thread reminds me of those days back in the 80s when the humble Maruti 800 made headlines in the newspapers once for carrying about 20 - 30 people. Forgot the exact number though.

Last edited by rr_zen : 25th October 2007 at 00:50.
Old 25th October 2007, 13:55   #70
Team-BHP Support

Back to the topic once again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
....Many suggested that an Amby can withstand that. The answer is NO it can not... and thats first hand experience speaking. As a kid ...
Ah! That reminided me. When i was a kid, once (out of town) i was allowed to sit on the roof of the amby, right above the windshield with my legs going between the bottom of the carrier and the roof (ie the bars of the carrier were in front of my chest for me to hold on to.).
I was probably 6-7yrs old, and a skinny little child, and i clearly remember the amby's roof caving in everytime i made a sudden move or put weight on my knees when getting on/off the roof.
However, i should also add, that even though the roof caved in slightly, it would pop out on its own once i moved from that area

cya
R
Old 25th October 2007, 21:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
However, i should also add, that even though the roof caved in slightly, it would pop out on its own once i moved from that area
Maybe, the Amby was aware of Newtons third law of motion !!
Sorry for the off-topic but couldnt help it !

Last edited by rr_zen : 25th October 2007 at 21:08.
Old 27th October 2007, 15:42   #72
BHPian

well on an another front - we've seen importance attached to "crash tests" - but is performance on "roof tests" like this - is that so critical ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks