Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
OT:but must say the cars sold in these places costing lesser have poorer build in terms of interiors and exteriors no info on the engine quality, but i was told the engine and the mechanicals/eletricals of the car are same!(i have seen a few cars from pondycherry when i was in my early teens, often have noticed cheap plastics and seem to have lower build quality, i have checked this like 7-8 years ago have no idea about the cars there now as we moved to hyderabad after that!). this was done inorder to reduce the costs to the buyers there!
I have to question this logic. its like saying that each vehcle mfg must have a seperate line for all UTs ,which would make it a logistical nightmare. The reason the cars are cheaper there is because the state taxes are lower. we had a car that was bought in daman, being registered in goa and driven in Pune.
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:16   #32
BANNED

i meant a civic in mumbai runnin PY plates. in bombay most cars are MH 04 to save tax really. now most companies have stopped doing fake papers so all have to choose mh o2. though some companies still do it for petty 5k.
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:53   #33
BHPian

In this connection, I recall seeing a CH xxx number plate in Delhi about ten years ago. It was similar to the AN plate mentioned here: two letters and three numbers. I assumed it was the old numbering system for Chandigarh (which would presumably have had only a handful of vehicles in the 1970s).
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
UK might stand for Uttarkhand.
I thought it stood for " U & Kingfisher "
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:12   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Id also think its an earlier registration transferred. Chandigarh used to have 2 alphabet plates as well, as illustrated on these 2 Beetles.

Came across this picture, id say its an early Madras regn.

And while Im at it, here's my Uncle's first car, an Austin in Madras. Note the format of the registration.

Old 2nd November 2007, 23:17   #36
BHPian

yup chandigarh did have 2 letter plates,
my dad had a car 'CH 415'
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Infact Pondichery even had single alphabet numbers, P XXXX

Old 2nd November 2007, 23:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
UK- UttaraKhand. Previously known as Uttaranchal and got changed to Uttarakhand in Jan 2007. Don't ask me why
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
UK might stand for Uttarkhand.
Nope, Uttarakhand still uses the UA XX code which was introduced when the state was first formed as Uttaranchal. So it can't be from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I thought it stood for " U & Kingfisher "
Yeah, right!
Old 3rd November 2007, 20:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I dont think what u are saying is correct.
There wouldn't be much difference in Ex- showroom prices..Its the taxes which bring about the difference in total cost of the vehicle..
Pondicherry has less tax(%) in comparison to Chennai.

No manufacturer will have a separate production line for the lower quality cars to be sold in PY etc..

guys it was really a long time ago, if thats truly not the case then its my bad.
Old 4th November 2007, 19:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
About 6 months or so back, there has been a modification in numbering in Kerala. Previously each District was having a unique number serias (plus two mador districts having one additional number series), KL 17 being the last. Now it got changed to each RTO having a unique number series.
KL 18 was last..3 major districts got extra numbers.. KL15 is exclusievely for KSRTC
Old 8th November 2007, 10:42   #41
BHPian

They're all same....!

[quote=rider60;614202]OT:but must say the cars sold in these places costing lesser have poorer build in terms of interiors and exteriors no info on the engine quality, but i was told the engine and the mechanicals/eletricals of the car are same!(i have seen a few cars from pondycherry when i was in my early teens, often have noticed cheap plastics and seem to have lower build quality, i have checked this like 7-8 years ago have no idea about the cars there now as we moved to hyderabad after that!). [quote]

The interiors and the paint worn out soon of the Cars which are in Coastal areas like Mangalore & Pondicherry. I do not agree with you, when you tell that manufacturers have a different variety of plastics (or whatever it is) to be installed in vehicles of same name. Prices vary from city to city based on the distance of that particular city to the city of assembly, contributed by the transport charges. For Example, Toyota vehicles are pretty cheap in Bangalore as compared to Delhi, cos they are assembled in Bangalore. The corollory of the same theory applies to hero Honda vehicles which are assembled in Noida/Delhi.
Old 14th November 2007, 17:17   #42
BHPian

Ernakulam area got individual numbers for the JRTO offices. Just before that KL-17 came when Muvattupuzha became full RTO. Now, KL-39 is Thripunithura, KL-40 is perumbavoor and KL-41 is kothamangalam (IIRC) People still have affinity to the KL-07 which is with the Kakkanad/City main RTO.
Old 15th November 2007, 11:48   #43
BHPian

Yesterday, on my to Cochin,saw a red zen. It had a normal number plate, but it has also got a number plate (the same size as the original) affixed to the rear bumper with the numbers written in Arabic.

Sorry guys could n't get a picture..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks