Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2004, 17:37   #1
BHPian

m800 vs ikon (what comp can a M800 be?)

i was driving in my m800 from vashi to ghatkopar and was waiting on the shivaji nagar signal. as usual i preferred to be on the left had side so that i could get a clear way out. this fellow in ikon, somewhere between 30 and 40 yrs of age, flashy glares and equally flashy colour of the car came right behind me. there was a B.E.S.T bus on my right which was supposed to be stopping at its stop, right after the signal. so i judge i had to rush as soon as the signal starts. as the signal started, i did what i wanted to do but the fellow in Ikon could not that and the bus did not let him pass. as i surged ahead, i saw him driving so fast that he would just fly off. that started me thinking whether what made him behave the way he did. my opinion is that his male ego did not approve of a lady making away so easily while he could not. or may be he just was in too much of a hurry.

so bhpians any comments on this.

shubbhi

Last edited by manaa45 : 18th December 2004 at 17:38.
Old 18th December 2004, 18:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

hehehehehe, i have a good feeling that it is male ego!!
Old 18th December 2004, 19:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

It's not only towards females, once when me n my friend were going in his M800, this Red Moded Lancer came out from the Karting track in palace grounds. We were going towards Windsor Manor, he got bottled up behind. He tried his best to over take me, but there was this bus which was on the lane next to me.

So he had to follow me till the Cauvery theater junction. We were waiting at a red light and as soon as the lights went green, this guy somehow squeezed between me and the divider and blasted past.

Now there are 2 basic reason for that. Either he wanted to show off his car or he just loved revving it, irrespective of what car he was overtaking.

I mean Cmon, we've revved our cars too. Sometimes, we're so busy enjoying it that we forget about the cars we just overtook. I'm sure some M800 guy must be feeling the same way about me, the last time i caned the Vtec on the ring roads.

Shan2nu
Old 18th December 2004, 22:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45
icar came right behind me. there was a B.E.S.T bus on my right which was supposed to be stopping at its stop, right after the signal. so i judge i had to rush as soon as the signal starts. as the signal started, i did what i wanted to do but the fellow in Ikon could not that and the bus did not let him pass. as i surged ahead, i saw him driving so fast that he would just fly off. so bhpians any comments on this.

shubbhi

u cud have definitely avoided all this .when u already know that the bus is gonna stop on the left and its on the right u cud have allowed the bus to go ahead ,instead of u going ahead.by doing this u cud have made it easier for the bus driver,the ikon guy and for urself.

the fact that the ikon cud not pass u nor the bus means that u just managed to clear the way for the bus to stop on the LHS.

u can call it male ego or or u can also call it poor road manners.
Old 19th December 2004, 11:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

well, satya, talking about road manners, what was the bus doing in the middle lane in the first place? the driver should have stuck to the leftmost lane, specially keeping in mind the fact that his stop was right after the lights! I know these bus drivers are not very educated and the onus lies on us to stick to our common sense and manners. But all said and done, its things like these that add character to driving on indian roads.
As for the ikon guy, i think it could have been male ego as well as a car ego (" how could an M800 better my ikon??" ). More of latter than the former.
Old 19th December 2004, 22:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

cmon amitoj,
just bcas the bus driver is erring doesnt mean u cannot stop.morever before blaming the heavy vehicle drivers ,we shud look at ourselves.it better to give more room to a bigger vehicle than to be forced into giving .
but in this case ,i feel if at all u see that there is someone behind u getting restless ,there is no harm in giving way to that moron,as he will there waiting for u at the enxt signal.
ther is no point in blaming the bus driver in this case .
wat will u do if u see a bus on the RHS and a slower moving vehicle is ahead of u bang in the middle lane.u wait for sometime,flash ur lites ,blow ur horn and if all this does not work u have to go from the leftmost lane.
when u know that there is a faster vehicle behind u adn still u dont give him room,then wat do u think it is?????it is a clear case of pooor road sense.
so i still feel it is a clear case of poor road manners than car ego.

Last edited by speedsatya : 19th December 2004 at 22:17.
Old 20th December 2004, 11:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

arre yaar if i stop to give way to every vehicle thats faster than me, then i will never get anywhere! But i assume by "faster vehicle" u also meant a "faster driver" in it.
I agree with you that its a case of poor road manners.... but it would be unfair to isolate one person in it. All the parties involved here, the M800, the ikon as well as the bus, are guilty of poor road manners. And thats why i mentioned the bus driver's fault.
By the way, just because there is a faster car and a faster driver behind me, doesnt mean that i am obligated to give way to that person at my inconvenience. hehe..."jagah milne pe side dee jayegee". If i am in the right lane doing 80, about to overtake a vehicle in the center lane thats doing 60, and another guy comes behind me flashing his lights leaning into his horn doing 100, then he will have to wait for me to complete my overtaking and move into the center lane. And no one can accuse me of bad road manners here. We all have equal right on the road. If someone has paid more for a car, doesnt mean he gets more share of the road.
Old 20th December 2004, 13:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
u cud have definitely avoided all this .when u already know that the bus is gonna stop on the left and its on the right u cud have allowed the bus to go ahead ,instead of u going ahead.by doing this u cud have made it easier for the bus driver,the ikon guy and for urself.

the fact that the ikon cud not pass u nor the bus means that u just managed to clear the way for the bus to stop on the LHS.

u can call it male ego or or u can also call it poor road manners.
here i would only like to say that, i have driven on that road for almost 8 years now and i know that i might be wrong by taking that route but here i want to mention that people do not try to understand that Bus drivers arent going to change and that fellow could have avoided coming right behind me. in fact i was surely a few steps ahead of the bus and i knew that before the big bus would even rev i would pass by smoothely. anyways this was just an incident i shared and gave my opinion. thanks for ur comments.

Shubbhi

Last edited by manaa45 : 20th December 2004 at 13:09.
Old 20th March 2005, 01:01   #9
BHPian

I know this is an old topic, but I just thought of something so am putting it down.

I think it was just a matter of 'car ego'. You said that the Ikon guy was behind you and that he never over took you. In that case he might not have been aware that the 800 was being driven by a female, so the question of 'male ego' does not arise.

Last edited by bikefreak : 20th March 2005 at 01:09.
Old 20th March 2005, 02:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak
I know this is an old topic, but I just thought of something so am putting it down.

I think it was just a matter of 'car ego'. You said that the Ikon guy was behind you and that he never over took you. In that case he might not have been aware that the 800 was being driven by a female, so the question of 'male ego' does not arise.
I guess that male ego just meant that his ego (male coming from the fact that he was a he, and so more inclined to be swayed by it, and irrespective of what sex the driver in the other car was) got all fired up at the though of an 800cc engine 'outdoing' his 1600cc engine, and that anyone could be better than him...

Cheers!

aveek
Old 20th March 2005, 13:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Or maybe the ikon guy was just ticked off that the bus cut him off and didnt allow him to pass. I hate it when busses bully you off the road.

Drifter
Old 31st March 2005, 03:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

buses

talking about bus drivers just witnessed an accident today at the electric house signal at the intersection the light turned green so a middle aged man zoomed of on his activa as the light turned green not seeing what was in store ahead of him. a best bus wanted to jump the signal and even though his signal was red and the other was green went fast and just rammed into the guy.the guy held onto his scooter for dear life because if he hadnt the bus would have gone over him.the bus driver didnt even stop.just drove away.i was on my bike a couple of cars behind him.quickly got of my bike ran to him and helped him up.at first every one thought he had passed away but miraculously he rode back unhurt maybe just a few scratches.i practially heard that bang and saw him slidding sideways a couple of meters was scary but thank god nothing happend.

so just want to tell every one guys be carefull .drive and ride safe and watch out for b*&^%*^#s like those
Old 31st March 2005, 12:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
I guess that male ego just meant that his ego (male coming from the fact that he was a he, and so more inclined to be swayed by it, and irrespective of what sex the driver in the other car was) got all fired up at the though of an 800cc engine 'outdoing' his 1600cc engine, and that anyone could be better than him...

Cheers!

aveek
i agree with u aveek. it was surely his ego ( but he had seen me earlier when he overtook me) so i said his male ego. the funniest part was that afdter the signal the way he overtook me , omg he would have just flown if the car had wings. actually the point i want to make is that there are only 5 percent mfemale drivers in the whole community of drivers so why we females can be left alone, with all the male drivers being happy with the assumed fact that female drivers dont drive well.

after all it is all about attitude.

shubbhi
Old 31st March 2005, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek

Cheers!

aveek
i agree with u aveek. it was surely his ego ( but he had seen me earlier when he overtook me) so i said his male ego. the funniest part was that afdter the signal the way he overtook me , omg he would have just flown if the car had wings. actually the point i want to make is that there are only 5 percent female drivers in the whole community of drivers so why we females can be left alone, with all the male drivers being happy with the assumed fact that female drivers dont drive well.

after all it is all about attitude.

shubbhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks