Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 08:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Cops in Bangalore - a pictorial depiction

Quick quesiton after looking at the pictures where the cops are pounicing in front of the bikers.I remember reading in news paper and also a statement issued that Cops cannot stop you randomly unless you have brokern a rule like jumping signal , not wearing helmet etc.But if you have not broken any rules you can as well question them why you are being stopped.Can somebody confirm this is indeed the rule so that i will not argue in vague if i get into such situation ?
Old 1st June 2011, 09:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Quick quesiton after looking at the pictures where the cops are pounicing in front of the bikers.I remember reading in news paper and also a statement issued that Cops cannot stop you randomly unless you have brokern a rule like jumping signal , not wearing helmet etc.But if you have not broken any rules you can as well question them why you are being stopped.Can somebody confirm this is indeed the rule so that i will not argue in vague if i get into such situation ?
yes, that is the rule. on the BTP site i do remember seeing Mr. Sood himself mention this.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:11   #48
BHPian

So are we within our rights to refuse to show the required documents if i was stopped unnecessarily and threaten to lodge a complaint ? In worst scenario if that cop is met with accident due to sudden jumping are we liable ?It may happen that to avoid such morons we may swerve to right or left and end up in a accident.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:19   #49
BHPian

Another set of pictures that one can take for this section are cop cars that have their registration only in Kannada (or whatever regional language). Blatant violation of the norm, and more crop eating by the fence!
Old 1st June 2011, 11:12   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
So are we within our rights to refuse to show the required documents if i was stopped unnecessarily and threaten to lodge a complaint ? In worst scenario if that cop is met with accident due to sudden jumping are we liable ?It may happen that to avoid such morons we may swerve to right or left and end up in a accident.
The cops cannot stop you unless you have broken some rule. So if you are wearing a helmet and you are driving within the speed limits and haven't jumped a red light and were driving within the rules, you can refuse to show your documents and lodge a complaint.
Old 1st June 2011, 14:12   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
The cops cannot stop you unless you have broken some rule. So if you are wearing a helmet and you are driving within the speed limits and haven't jumped a red light and were driving within the rules, you can refuse to show your documents and lodge a complaint.
Has anyone tried doing this when you are stopped?
Old 1st June 2011, 14:26   #52
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread and discussion. Though i do not condone any act of breaking the law, but making the folks down the food chain, read that as the cops on the road, as targets of attack will not solve much IMHO.
What is sad is that for one cop that you see maybe breaking the law, we have 100 of "educated morons" who do the same willingly. What is the rationale behind just going on even though the signal is red? Just travel around bangalore one day and you will see 100's of such instances. Cops are quite powerless i feel many times.
The folk sitting on top are so messed up, i don't blame the lower end guys to take bribe, i am not taking sides, but a statement i heard " If people can get away swindling crores, why point fingers at us, who are paid peanuts while the top guys make merry?"
The entire system is messed up big time and needs a overhaul. It should start with educated idiots being penalized big time.
mkh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 16:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

What should the main purpose for the cops be, to stop the erring drivers and impose fines? So that they are no longer a threat to other motorists and to a lesser extent, themselves. Then why do the cops stop mostly only two wheelers? A biker without a helmet cannot pose any danger to other motorists than a car with non-functioning headlamps. If a biker meets with an accident, he himself pays the price. But if a cab without headlamps is in an accident, say with a biker, then the biker has to pay the price.

So, why can't our intelligent cops start flagging down erring cabs or trucks? If they really want to make money and meet the targets, there is no better opportunity than checking the trucks. Are they scared of some strike by truck owners?

Then there is a better opportunity: stop the cars with occupants not wearing seatbelts.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Interesting thread and discussion. Though i do not condone any act of breaking the law, but making the folks down the food chain, read that as the cops on the road, as targets of attack will not solve much IMHO.
What is sad is that for one cop that you see maybe breaking the law, we have 100 of "educated morons" who do the same willingly. What is the rationale behind just going on even though the signal is red? Just travel around bangalore one day and you will see 100's of such instances. Cops are quite powerless i feel many times.
The folk sitting on top are so messed up, i don't blame the lower end guys to take bribe, i am not taking sides, but a statement i heard " If people can get away swindling crores, why point fingers at us, who are paid peanuts while the top guys make merry?"
The entire system is messed up big time and needs a overhaul. It should start with educated idiots being penalized big time.
being lower down the food chain doesn't absolve them of their wrongs nor does it give them the right to abuse the uniform for personal gains. i've seen cops abusing women when checking for documents or caught for violation of traffic rules. i've seen cops manhandle people when confronted or beating people with a stick on their backs. i've seen a cop snatch watermelon off a vendor's cart and shoo him away without paying for it. should we tolerate these incidents just because the cops are paid less?

i do sympathize with their financial situation and agree that something should be done about it, but i'll not standby and let them have their way just because of that!

saw this cop driving in the wrong direction just off Dickenson road (the road from Ulsoor meeting the Dickenson road).

Cops in Bangalore - a pictorial depiction-_mg_9381.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st June 2011 at 17:57.
Old 1st June 2011, 18:02   #55
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
being lower down the food chain doesn't absolve them of their wrongs nor does it give them the right to abuse the uniform for personal gains. i've seen cops abusing women when checking for documents or caught for violation of traffic rules. i've seen cops manhandle people when confronted or beating people with a stick on their backs. i've seen a cop snatch watermelon off a vendor's cart and shoo him away without paying for it. should we tolerate these incidents just because the cops are paid less?

i do sympathize with their financial situation and agree that something should be done about it, but i'll not standby and let them have their way just because of that!

saw this cop driving in the wrong direction just off Dickenson road (the road from Ulsoor meeting the Dickenson road).

Attachment 553523
My first statement was- i do not condone them and clearly i too feel they should not get away. What my intent is to say a top down approach is needed. We are spending so much time on posting wrong doers who are cops, what about our own lot who violate rules at the drop of a hat?
Anyways, i hope the efforts being put are getting us an end result.
BTW Cops AROUND the world have bad apples, just a note, nothing else.
Old 1st June 2011, 18:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
My first statement was- i do not condone them and clearly i too feel they should not get away. What my intent is to say a top down approach is needed. We are spending so much time on posting wrong doers who are cops, what about our own lot who violate rules at the drop of a hat?
Anyways, i hope the efforts being put are getting us an end result.
BTW Cops AROUND the world have bad apples, just a note, nothing else.
my post was not aimed at you specifically - just venting out. i myself have got the raw end of the deal many a time while dealing with cops because i can't speak the local language.

few years back one of my team members was caught by the traffic cops for checking documents somewhere near Indiranagar. his documents all checked out, but i guess they wanted to make some money - they took his key which was on a key chain which had a small pen knife (a blunt dummy). they stated that he was carrying a weapon and fined him for that!!!

as for our own lot who violate rules at the drop of a hat, i believe the cops cannot fine them for lack of evidence. well, i intend to provide them the evidence.
Old 5th October 2011, 15:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

my wife and i were having lunch at Beijing Bites in Indiranagar (near BSNL office) and were sitting near the window facing the junction. i saw many people driving on the wrong side the quickly get through the signal, but what ticked me off was this policeman on the bike.
Cops in Bangalore - a pictorial depiction-_mg_2222.jpg

Cops in Bangalore - a pictorial depiction-_mg_2223.jpg

see the nincompoop behind him. i'm sure he's thinking - if he can, so can i! cops blame people and people blame cops and the vicious circle goes on and we spend more time listening to radio on four wheels!
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 17:37   #58
Oxy
BHPian

Now how would you expect sanity to prevail on our roads when the general public is watching the cops themselves breaking the rules?

The root cause is that these traffic cops are only interested in filling their pockets by imposing fines rather than indulging in some traffic management. As someone rightly pointed out earlier, why a cab with non functioning headlights is let go in favour of fining a biker without a helmet.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:43   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Now how would you expect sanity to prevail on our roads when the general public is watching the cops themselves breaking the rules?
Do we have cops in Bangalore? Seriously, are you joking?!!
Old 13th October 2011, 11:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

see the nincompoop behind him. i'm sure he's thinking - if he can, so can i! cops blame people and people blame cops and the vicious circle goes on and we spend more time listening to radio on four wheels!
You carry the DSLR with zoom lens to restaurant also?

Most Viewed