Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl
AFAIK limiters do not cut off the fuel supply, but control the electrical inputs to the spark plugs. Gurus will be able to throw further light on this.
Actually you might be right - it would be more killing the plugs than stopping fuel supply. Anyway the gurus would know exactly. In my case, the car would just go dead on hitting the limiter, which I assumed to be fuel cut-off.
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Over correcting

I won't beguile you with a "thank god you are safe" passage. I do not know you. For all I know you cheated God and should be dead, wrapped around a power pole. I managed just this but without the death one afternoon but that's another story.

So, that being said, my guess is you tried a quick "flick" lane change at high speed and the rear end started coming around and you probably then over corrected, snapping the rear end around the other way with great force and almost losing control and then you over corrected again. My advice, either do not push it or, go out again late at night, go up and down the same piece of road to make sure there is no debris or obstruction, wait for a big break in traffic, AND try it again and again at much lower speeds and get the feel of it. Then, increase your speed by small increments and try it again until you approach the end of your comfort range. You may learn how to drive this way and you may find out you can stay "cool headed" and handle the situation. I used to test drive vehicles as an engineering tech....we were all self-taught this way, not without crashes.
DirtyDan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

That is one scary experience, great to know everything and everyone was alright in the end. I believe that stretch also has some raised , manhole covers used to see guys jumping over them at high speeds especially during the nights ... Its straight and clear, exactly why its dangerous . Drive safe pal !
hellstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 17:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I have seen red-lining on lower gears as a boast-off thing here in this place by many fellow bhpians. Red-lining is one of the most dangerous thing for the car, for the engine, for the transmission, for the brakes and for everything else in the car and outside the car. I don't understand why would someone want to push his own beloved car to the max redline (which is normally done by the makers in controlled conditions with utmost safety precautions), knowing very well than anything can go wrong and anything can have some imperfection in the manufature which are generally not tested to the max in every car they make.

My humble suggestion will be, leave the bread to the bakers to be made in the bakery....

Let just toast 'em,eat 'em and enjoy 'em..

Good for us..
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 17:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Actually you might be right - it would be more killing the plugs than stopping fuel supply. Anyway the gurus would know exactly. In my case, the car would just go dead on hitting the limiter, which I assumed to be fuel cut-off.
If just the electrical signals are cut to the plugs, the unburnt fuel will get into the cat con and this would damage it. So whenever fuel is cut off, my guess is that the fuel pump is switched off
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 17:58   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
If just the electrical signals are cut to the plugs, the unburnt fuel will get into the cat con and this would damage it. So whenever fuel is cut off, my guess is that the fuel pump is switched off
the unburnt fuel goes down the exhaust pipe and is burnt there due to extreme heat in the pipe. that is why if you follow a car with an FFE at night you will see small explosions inside the exhaust pipe. So I dont think the fuel pump gets switched off.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:04   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
the unburnt fuel goes down the exhaust pipe and is burnt there due to extreme heat in the pipe. that is why if you follow a car with an FFE at night you will see small explosions inside the exhaust pipe. So I dont think the fuel pump gets switched off.
that also explains the slight smell when redlining.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The cat con is placed in the initial part of the exhaust, just near the engine, so that it can come up to operating temperature faster (atleast in the newer cars like SX4). Now, even if the fuel burns in the exhaust, the cat con would have been damaged by then...wouldnt it?
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 19:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

well well good that you are safe....be careful...once i started ripping on a bullet and forgot the opposite braking compared to other bikes.
Had a bad exp!!!!
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 19:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
For all I know you cheated God and should be dead, wrapped around a power pole.
Ouch. I think this is what they say being "brutally frank".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
wait for a big break in traffic, AND try it again and again at much lower speeds and get the feel of it. Then, increase your speed by small increments and try it again until you approach the end of your comfort range.
I do see what you are getting to. But, if you are suggesting that I try redlining the car again and do a flick, Sorry.

The flick never was part of the weekend agenda. My idea was just to have straightline fun and if I had stuck to that on Friday (by braking or slowing down behind the Amby), there would have been no need to create this post.

Anyway, even though the incident keeps coming to mind, it is not like I am afraid of driving or anything after the incident. I still enjoy driving and might even do the occasional fun sprint. Only that I would definitely be more careful next time around.
Old 3rd December 2007, 19:45   #41
BHPian

Good, you came out unscathed.
It could've been worse for you and more importantly for some other innocent soul on the road.

Always put others first. We as good / sensible drivers should try our best to NEVER EVER put the OTHER PERSON (who is outside your car) in any trouble.

Another reason why public roads may not be the best place for fun.

Last edited by Torqy : 3rd December 2007 at 19:47.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:18   #42
BANNED

What a post man...I am thinking you are proud about what you did. You should be ashamed of yourself man and someone should snatch those keys from you. You are a misfit....seriously. I have lost a couple of friends to morons like you behid the wheel. Its a public road, not a race track. If you want to get the thrill do it in your own backyard with your relatives in the car.

I appeal to the MODS to try and curb such posts. What are we trying to prove by such a post? Delete such posts with the member understanding that this is not a boasting issue. Maybe you are not but if it was me i could i have felt like the biggest idiot in the world and never have posted on a public forum.

SupremeBaleno: Whoever you are man THINK. How many people die because of somebody else's mistake. Cant you curb your feelings and take them to a track or someplace. You were plain lucky and so where some innocent people. You probably have been lucky not to have gone through any such situations. I have and twice over. I might be lynched after this post but i dont care, if i have made one person realise his foolishness and make him act like a human being i would be happy.

- Spitfire
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Places???

Are there high speed NON-PUBLIC places in India to learn high speed manuevers and/or testing of one's vehicle??? High speed driving schools exist in other countries. Some attendees are rich people, others are police and bodyguards.

Bondurant Racing School
DirtyDan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

@SpitFire, you are so true to your alias. Anyway, no one's lynching you or anything - you expressed your opinion and on a public forum, you have the right to do so.

But, what made you think that I am proud of what happened OR posted this incident to boast ? To boast of what ? Of redlining the car in the initial few gears (which anyway is nothing worth boasting) or about the soup I found myself in due to an overtaking manouevre I did ? This post was about trying to get some clues to what went wrong.

That overtaking manouevre is something we all would do on a highway and which could also go wrong in some cases. Heck, you could even seriously injure a biker by suddenly turning right / left without putting on the indicators. Its a machine and things could go wrong in the most normal cases.

I do agree that doing 130 on a public road is wrong. But I dont even see mopeds keeping to the 40kmph rule on that road. And that is during daytime. The highways have a limit of 80kmph or so. How many stick to that rule ? How about you ? Can you truly say that you follow all the rules in the book or even know all the rules that exist ?
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:43   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Are there high speed NON-PUBLIC places in India to learn high speed manuevers and/or testing of one's vehicle???
So if i have a gun and dont have a firing range i pull the trigger on a crowded road?
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks