Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 06:26   #16
BHPian

That is a great effort by esteem_lover. Not many would have done that by dialling 103. Stretching this little further, do we know if the mini bus driver was charged or did the police let him go after getting some ****???.
Old 6th December 2007, 08:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

I thought this thread was about another cop, who thinks that the road is their kingdom. But this is a real surprise.
Old 6th December 2007, 08:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
You called the control room, you must have given the details as to your location? Whats amazing is that the information was relayed to the right officer at the right time and place.

Now how much of an effor you had to put in explainging the co-ordinates?
The co-ordinates were pretty simple. My talk with the bus driver was when we stopped at one signal (point a) on the inner ring road & there is a distance of approximately 200 metres to the next one (point b). so in this time i called the control room & told them that he was proceeding from point a to point b. There was one left turn in between & i was hoping he would not take that, because if he did, it would have been complicated. i informed the control room that he was approaching point b. Point b always crawls with traffic cops since it is the way out of chennai city.

for chennai bhpians
point a - thirumangalam signal
point b - Koyambedu signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Exactly what WAS your complaint? Why were the police stopping him? To me this is very unclear from your post. Was he drunk? Rudeness is not a crime, it is free speech......like it or not.
My complaint - there is a mini bus that is being driven rashly on this road posing dangers to other road users/pedestrians.
Old 6th December 2007, 09:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1100D : Whats amazing is that the information was relayed to the right officer at the right time and place.
That's what the police control room is supposed to do. Get in touch with the officer nearest to the place and direct him to the spot.
Old 6th December 2007, 09:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

That was an commendable effort from the police.
How did they call you back? Did you give them your no.? I am asking this because sometimes you don't want to disclose your identity
Old 6th December 2007, 09:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Most of the police numbers that are for public use have called id's. That's on way and not sure if EL gave his number.
Old 6th December 2007, 09:57   #22
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Good job, esteem_lover.

A commendable case of a socially responsible citizen and active responsive police department. You've advanced road discipline albeit in your own little way where you live.

While this can be achieved in Chennai and Mumbai, I don't believe Pune is anywhere as good as this, unless it's a politico calling the police, and even then the Pune police is miserably unfit for the purpose.

For example, the traffic junction where the Khadki police station road joins the old Mumbai highway, is a picture of chaos every morning at 9 am. Traffic from the railway underpass floods at the highway traffic light, occupying ongoing as well as oncoming lanes. And the motorbike cop and his constable present, merely gape at the spectacle, like idle pedestrians.

In Chembur last Thursday night, I saw a cop stop and fine a Mercedes for momentarily crossing the painted white line, onto the wrong side of the road. And I have heard that speaking on the mobile phone while driving in Mumbai, immediately promotes one for a non-bailable night in the lockup.
Old 6th December 2007, 10:06   #23
BHPian

It was really good on your part to atleast try and explain. Really good to hear about the traffic guys being so active.
Sigh.... hope this was the scene in every other indian city!
Old 6th December 2007, 10:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well done CCTP & good show John for raising the alarm!

Hope Traffic Police in other cities follow suit!

Last edited by finneyp : 6th December 2007 at 10:28.
Old 6th December 2007, 10:52   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
How did they call you back? Did you give them your no.? I am asking this because sometimes you don't want to disclose your identity
They require you to provide them with your mobile number.

Once during my stint in Hyderabad, i saw a truck which had turned turtle on the road from Mehdipatnam to Gachibowli (time 11PM). This was not there when i had crossed the same point in the opposite direction 15 minutes back. I called 100 from my mobile, gave them the location and described the incident. The people at the control room took my name, mobile number and said this is for the patrol vehicle to contact me in case they couldnt zero in on the exact location. Within minutes got a call from the cops on the 'Rakshak' saying that they have landed at the scene.

Back to the topic here: Good work, John. Looks like all your encounters with the cops have been good.

Here in Bangalore, they introduced Blackberrys to keep track of repeat traffic offenders. A few months later, this initiative which was launched with much fanfare has been dumped saying that since all RTOs are not computerised, they cannot keep track of repeat offences. My question to them is, "DIDNT YOU KNOW THIS AT THE START?!!"
Old 6th December 2007, 11:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great Show El and CCTP, how i wish the bangy cops could also reach these kind of service levels.
Old 6th December 2007, 11:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

guys in kerela also can use the control room facility.i had used tis once.i have saved the no on my mobile against p-9846100100.so that i wont have to search for the no.i had once contacted them when i saw a few people trying to stab a guy in tvm near the poojapura jail.i informed them of the details .it was a qualis green color and the no of the vehicle was also given.they arranged for the police back up force immediately.as i was travelling to shasthamangalam from there i saw atleast 5 jeeps heading to that place.then a police man called me to give the details of what had happend.they called up almost 4-5 times in half an hour.over and above all this-they send a message to me congradulating and blah blah.i was really impressed by the work done by them and this will encourage us to seek help of the police man in case of emergency.

ram
Old 6th December 2007, 11:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Most of the police numbers that are for public use have called id's. That's on way and not sure if EL gave his number.
My conversation with the control room was very brief. i did not give him my name or number. within 5 minutes of me calling the control room, the vehicle was intercepted at the next signal. Terrific work. And the SI who called was so courteous. a double for him.
Old 6th December 2007, 11:55   #29
BHPian

Way to go chennai police. we always curse the police for their rudeness and attitude. however there are still some police personal who still are public servants.

But many of us will not bother about these sort of driver's apart from cursing. EL has given us the right way.. cheers EL.. :-)
Old 6th December 2007, 12:13   #30
BHPian

That's amazing... Hope the Bangalore Traffic police ( with Blackberry and other hi-fi gadgets respond in similar way..

Most Viewed