Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2008, 11:48   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
The elevated highway project in Blore is a white elephant. There are/were only some bottlenecks where flyovers were required. Instead of that, a 1000 cr flyover will benefit only those few who work in EC and drain the tax payer. A meto rail would have made more sense.
I think this fly over is going to be tolled one.
30% or so Govt funded.
Remaining is by a consortium of Builders and Elec. Companies assoc.

So my tax is saved I think.
Old 1st January 2008, 15:42   #92
BHPian

Mera Bharat Mahan,
1. People fear to file a complaint in Police station.
2. Govrnment transport emits most of black smoke. We have to pay for PUC.
3. Cases took 50 years to solve in court.
4. Only employee has to pay taxes.
5. Tax return cheque takes a year or two to deposit in account, if you had paid extra tax.
6. You dont know where is your tax return file, why are you not getting your own money. No status.
7. Before filing complaint, you have to make sure that you are filing complaint in the area which comes under that police chowki.

blah blah blah
Old 1st January 2008, 22:34   #93
BHPian

What will it take to make India Shine??

Guys,

I am reproducing a speech by our Ex-President-Dr.Abdul Kalam:

YOU say that our government is inefficient. YOU say that our laws are too old. YOU say that the municipality does not pick up the garbage. YOU say that the phones don't work, the railways are a joke, the airline is the worst in the world, mails never reach their destination. YOU say that our country has been fed to the dogs and is the absolute pits. YOU say, say and say.
What do YOU do about it? Take a person on his way to Singapore. Give him a name - YOURS. Give him a face - YOURS. YOU walk out of the airport and you are at your International best. In Singapore you don't throw cigarette butts on the roads or eat in the stores. YOU are as proud of their Underground Links as they are. You pay $5 (approx. Rs. 60) to drive through Orchard Road (equivalent of Mahim Causeway or Pedder Road) between 5 PM and 8 PM.
YOU comeback to the parking lot to punch your parking ticket if you have over stayed in a restaurant or a shopping mall irrespective of your status identity. In Singapore you don't say anything, DO YOU? YOU wouldn't dare to eat in public during Ramadan, in Dubai. YOU would not dare to go out without your head covered in Jeddah. YOU would not dare to buy an employee of the telephone exchange in London at 10 pounds (Rs. 650) a month to, "see to it that my STD and ISD calls are billed to someone else." YOU would not dare to speed beyond 55 mph (88 kph) in Washington and then tell the traffic cop, "Jaanta hai sala main kaun hoon (Do you know who I am?). I am so and so's son. Take your two bucks and get lost." YOU wouldn't chuck an empty coconut shell anywhere other than the garbage pail on the beaches in Australia and New Zealand. Why don't YOU spit Paan on the streets of Tokyo? Why don't YOU use examination jockeys or buy fake certificates in Boston? We are still talking of the same YOU. YOU who can respect and conform to a foreign system in other countries but cannot in your own. You who will throw papers and cigarettes on the road the moment you touch Indian ground. If you can be an involved and appreciative citizen in an alien country why cannot you be the same here in India. Once in an interview, the famous Ex-municipal commissioner of Bombay Mr.Tinaikar had a point to make. "Rich people's dogs are walked on the streets to leave their affluent droppings all over the place," he said. "And then the same people turn around to criticize and blame the authorities for inefficiency and dirty pavements. What do they expect the officers to do? Go down with a broom every time their dog feels the pressure in his bowels? In America every dog owner has to clean up after his pet has done the job. Same in Japan. Will the Indian citizen do that here?" He's right. We go to the polls to choose a government and after that forfeit all responsibility. We sit back wanting to be pampered and expect the government to do everything for us whilst our contribution is totally negative. We expect the government to clean up but we are not going to stop chucking garbage all over the place nor are we going to stop to pick a up a stray piece of paper and throw it in the bin. We expect the railways to provide clean bathrooms but we are not going to learn the proper use of bathrooms. We want Indian Airlines and Air India to provide the best of food and toiletries but we are not going to stop pilfering at the least opportunity. This applies even to the staff who is known not to pass on the service to the public. When it comes to burning social issues like those related to women, dowry, girl child and others, we make loud drawing room protestations and continue to do the reverse at home. Our excuse? "It's the whole system which has to change, how will it matter if I alone forego my sons' rights to a dowry." So who's going to change the system? What does a system consist of? Very conveniently for us it consists of our neighbors, other households, other cities, other communities and the government. But definitely not me and YOU. When it comes to us actually making a positive contribution to the system we lock ourselves along with our families into a safe cocoon and look into the distance at countries far away and wait for a Mr. Clean to come along & work miracles for us with a majestic sweep of his hand. Or we leave the country and run away. Like lazy cowards hounded by our fears we run to America to bask in their glory and praise their system. When New York becomes insecure we run to England. When England experiences unemployment, we take the next flight out to the Gulf. When the Gulf is war struck, we demand to be rescued and brought home by the Indian government. Everybody is out to abuse and rape the country. Nobody thinks of feeding the system. Our conscience is mortgaged to money.
Dear Indians, The article is highly thought inductive, calls for a great deal of introspection and pricks one's conscience too....I am echoing J.F. Kennedy's words to his fellow Americans to relate to Indians.....
"ASK WHAT WE CAN DO FOR INDIA AND DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO MAKE INDIA WHAT AMERICA AND OTHER WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE TODAY"
Lets do what India needs from us.

So, what do we do? We as educated and relatively privilaged people, must be able to do something.

Us Team-BHPians must get into talks with the traffic police and organize a traffic awareness drive. I am willing to take up and organize this task. How many of you are game? Send me a PM and even if I have only 10 people, I will start the process. What say guys?

And finally, I would like to quote Winston Churchill - "Bad Politicain are elected by good people who do not vote" - So let us stop blaming the system and let us do someting about it.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 1st January 2008, 22:50   #94
BHPian

Good One

Thanks Rajan, a very appropriate article at the right time.
Old 1st January 2008, 23:32   #95
BHPian

Cheers Rajan,
Great reference article.
Old 2nd January 2008, 00:23   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

A great man. India certainly used to have a shining president --- an example to leaders and statesmen worldwide --- and yet, sadly, hardly known outside India.

Does anybody bother to read the snippets in the newspaper about the current president? I don't. Does anybody call out that the current president is on TV, come and see? Not in this house.

One area in which India has gone very much downhill.

Very sad.
Old 2nd January 2008, 00:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does anybody bother to read the snippets in the newspaper about the current president? I don't. Does anybody call out that the current president is on TV, come and see? Not in this house.

One area in which India has gone very much downhill.

Very sad.
These are the side-effects of having a Pro-active President who doesn't bow down to the school of Populist Politics Thad. A man who does not tow the line of Govt. but rather like his Science background chooses to question every time when he thinks the Govt's role is dubious will never be allowed a long stint in our country in the current scenario.

What our politicians want is a rubber stamp President, not one which uses his or her brains to question their obviously unquestionable logic & decisions.

I agree with you very sad but unfortunately also true.
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:49   #98
BHPian

Check out the Vid in my signature.... May be you will feel better
cheers
_HCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Drove over 100 kms today; spent over 3.5 hrs in my car! (entire day)

Home-office in delhi - gurgaon-gurgaon local-delhi etc

1 drag, 2 small times duels, 1 mad biker, 1 broken down sx4, 1 broken down cielo, 2 crazy lady drivers, 1 manic driver in a NHC and half a dozen diffrent traffic jams....including the mammoth one at Sarai kale khan flyover.

A stupid truck had overturned on almost the very top of the flyover blocking with it almost 3/4 of the road. it was so bad that the entire ring road traffic at peak time was reduced to 1 lane@5kmph at that very point.

That single truck had almost 500-1000 4 wheelers of all sorts jammed behind it. Whats the point of constructing all those highways when a maybe drunk, maybe overloaded, maybe illegal (it was before 9 pm), definately polluting truck can reduce the national capital to a bullock carts pace!! i shudder to think many crores worth of petrol was wasted in changing gears cause of that. Smog here i come!!!

I forgot to mention. No crane was in sight! All we had was two lousy cops standing and waving traffic like they didn't care!

I remember what got me pissed was that one of them cuould have walked back and directed the traffic to ALSO take the road beneath the Flyover! It was simply common sense...but they simply did not care!!

ALL IN ALL it SUCKED!!

I hate this country at times.... no matter what any goddamn economist says..till we have this kinda things happenign here ..i swear India can never be a developed country!!

bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Elito

5th Dec 07
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:54   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker View Post
Hehe Funny.

Myself also settled in India.
A typical migrant Indian in a western country who is a second class citizen doesnt truly integrate with the local society there, for all kinds of reasons, one being viewed as job stealers or just plain outsiders by the local citizens.

Let me add - The trend is now changing in India
A person who migrates to a western country is now considered a loser, as he could not succeed in his own country. There are many successful people in India who have succeded - hence for them there is no need to quit India. Moving out of the country is now becoming thing of inferior people - not superior.

India has given me all the success because I deserved it. So why should i beg a foreign country...........
You are right eflanger. i had 2 offers from the US but didnt accept it just because I know how they treat you. Im a happy man here in India with my Salary, Streets, Politicians, Police, Floods, Riots and anything negative I missed out to mention. But here in India Im treated as a Human being. Not a deprived looser.

Today or tomorrow INDIA WILL SHINE THAN ANYONE ELSE. May be our kids will have a privilege of US person getting today... Live to that point. Dont forget to pay your tax too

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 2nd January 2008 at 01:58.
Old 2nd January 2008, 07:44   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
You are right eflanger. i had 2 offers from the US but didnt accept it just because I know how they treat you.
Not trying to criticize you or India but you should also take a look at how they treat you in India itself, One thing that always disturbs me is how one is treated when lying on road after a crash.

the post is started because of somebody's frustration with the system in india and I totally understand that. And Kalam's speech can change you and me, but still rest of India has a long way to go.

At the end of the day, the love of motherland always pulls us back, but look at what it did to Ms Bhutto.
Old 2nd January 2008, 07:56   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Not trying to criticize you or India but you should also take a look at how they treat you in India itself, One thing that always disturbs me is how one is treated when lying on road after a crash.

the post is started because of somebody's frustration with the system in india and I totally understand that. And Kalam's speech can change you and me, but still rest of India has a long way to go.

At the end of the day, the love of motherland always pulls us back, but look at what it did to Ms Bhutto.
But how many of us here will stop the car when see an accident and take the injured to hospital. Being educated, well aware of vehicles and safety how many of us will do it ? May be in US or UK the govt have a really well equipped SOS service who will take care of every KM of roadway. Other than that I don't think a US Citizen moral is so high that he will come out of his car and help you by taking you to hosp. The max he will call up 911 and report the accident.

We should change ourself first. I was amazed by how Korean(South) behave when he/she sees that someone crossing the road at Seoul. They stop the vehicle at a safe distance and let you cross the road (even if you have not started to cross the road, but waiting near Zebra line) How many of us will do it? At some point of time I feel like S.Korea there should be compulsory military training for at least 2 years for everyone in India too.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 2nd January 2008 at 07:57.
Old 2nd January 2008, 08:33   #102
Senior - BHPian

again, it's not an argument but information. All I am trying to say is we need to learn a lot from western civilizations, only the good stuff of course. there is no point looking down upon them.

in US one of my friend's friend crashed in a CR-V, people surrounded them with their cars since it was a very busy and blind curve kind of area, my brother was helped by somebody on road when his hood was open. the person came out and closed it himself. It's all about respecting fellow human being.

Also in US in pedestrian areas people go dead slow and keep safe distance, and even if it's green signal they stop if they somebody is crossing the road.

And if it was south korea, we would not be discussing this topic. military dictatorship is not an answer to everything.

EDIT: Sorry, I had north korea on my mind. blame national geographic channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
But how many of us here will stop the car when see an accident and take the injured to hospital. Being educated, well aware of vehicles and safety how many of us will do it ? May be in US or UK the govt have a really well equipped SOS service who will take care of every KM of roadway. Other than that I don't think a US Citizen moral is so high that he will come out of his car and help you by taking you to hosp. The max he will call up 911 and report the accident.

We should change ourself first. I was amazed by how Korean(South) behave when he/she sees that someone crossing the road at Seoul. They stop the vehicle at a safe distance and let you cross the road (even if you have not started to cross the road, but waiting near Zebra line) How many of us will do it? At some point of time I feel like S.Korea there should be compulsory military training for at least 2 years for everyone in India too.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 2nd January 2008 at 08:40.
Old 2nd January 2008, 08:59   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

So, what do we do? We as educated and relatively privilaged people, must be able to do something.

Us Team-BHPians must get into talks with the traffic police and organize a traffic awareness drive. I am willing to take up and organize this task. How many of you are game? Send me a PM and even if I have only 10 people, I will start the process. What say guys?

Cheers,
Rajan
Sadly, so many replies and discussion about our political system, but not one single comment about this...

Rajan
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:11   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Sadly, so many replies and discussion about our political system, but not one single comment about this...

Rajan
Count me in for this initiative on Sat Jan 26th.

BTW, Where was it posted?

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:11   #105
Senior - BHPian

patchyboy thats a noble idea . Am in, just hang in there lets see if we can get the boys together and work this one out.

We have had good turn outs at our meets and hopefully this also should work.

Check with the Moderation team if they are ok to hold one such event where-in tbhp is gonna work for a cause.

Why don't you start a thread with a POA, in the meanwhile we can work it out with the moderation team.

Bangy boys what say ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks