Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 11:07   #31
VBV
BHPian

I can tell you similar stories. Even if it were a hand asking you to pass by, do not overtake if you are not sure.

I've had an instance on the hairpin ghat section to Ooty. A LCV guy asked me to pass him and when I was about to overtake him, a black accent came in front of me. I don't know if the truck driver did it in negligence or in ignorance. But he put my and my family's life at risk. And I also did the same by listening to him.
Fortunately, the oncoming vehicle was moving upwards and was able to slow down naturally. But I was not spared from a few stares, lots of honking and a few words...

VBV
Old 10th December 2007, 12:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby.sam View Post
If the roads are clear, blow horn continously (Stebel or Hella can really work here) and overtake, so that an oncoming vehicle driver and the driver ahead of you are alert.
Reminds me of the call centre cabs here in Bangalore.

Old 10th December 2007, 18:42   #33
BHPian

I normally end up on the other side, ie I am in my lane, and a big vehicle from the opposite direction overtakes another, merges into his own lane, and another moron in a car, blindly following the big vehicle ends up right in front of me.

And about blind curves, don't even start there. It is almost guaranteed to see a car coming at you at EVERY one of them.
Old 16th December 2007, 14:05   #34
BHPian

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
I normally end up on the other side, ie I am in my lane, and a big vehicle from the opposite direction overtakes another, merges into his own lane, and another moron in a car, blindly following the big vehicle ends up right in front of me.

And about blind curves, don't even start there. It is almost guaranteed to see a car coming at you at EVERY one of them.
One day we might see you also as the moron in the car following a big vehicle blindly. There is a simple reason. If you always wait then your speed dies and big buses also pass by you.
Old 16th December 2007, 15:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
My request to all BHPians, - don't get influenced by those crazy drivers who blindly follow vehicles while overtaking. Always wait for your turn.Let other guy do what he wants. Don't get into ego traps.
How do you guys control the urge to cut a guy off who has cut you so rashly? I get into the tendency of cutting him off and make it even, most of the time. I'm sure I'm not doing the right thing, but somehow can't resist.

Would like to learn/hear from you guys on the techniques/rationale you apply to outgrow/overcome these type of urges.

Regards
Rex
Old 16th December 2007, 16:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
VBV : Even if it were a hand asking you to pass by, do not overtake if you are not sure.
For all we know, the when the guy asked you go ahead, his intentions were good. Esp in the ghats, the twists & turns would hide any on-coming vehicle which neither of you is aware of, or can foresee. May be he hasnt anticipated that there is a vehicle coming up from the opposite direction.

No one can stress enough about driving safely. And safety means being careful through every twist, turn & straight.
Old 16th December 2007, 19:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
How do you guys control the urge to cut a guy off who has cut you so rashly? I get into the tendency of cutting him off and make it even, most of the time. I'm sure I'm not doing the right thing, but somehow can't resist.

Would like to learn/hear from you guys on the techniques/rationale you apply to outgrow/overcome these type of urges.

Regards
Rex
You're not alone.

I'm trying my best NOT to do it again.....but then some moron will pop up in front of me again. I'm much much better now. Maybe the REALIZATION that no amount of "training" from me will be enough for these idiots is helping me.

Besides, you never know when you'll do that to a rowdy.

Old 17th December 2007, 15:29   #38
BHPian

I have seen some truck guys using absurd signals like waving the hand for you to pass but actually they want to turn right, when argued with one guy he said " Oye hath dikha ke right liya tha andhe ho kya"
I knew there was no point arguing, but to be safe from stupidity of others.

One more on the list of driving safe :-)
Old 17th December 2007, 16:03   #39
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For all we know, the when the guy asked you go ahead, his intentions were good. Esp in the ghats, the twists & turns would hide any on-coming vehicle which neither of you is aware of, or can foresee. May be he hasnt anticipated that there is a vehicle coming up from the opposite direction.

No one can stress enough about driving safely. And safety means being careful through every twist, turn & straight.
You could be right, that's why I am not sure about whether he's done it in ignorance of an oncoming vehicle. Though I was furious at that point of time, I realize I cannot be sure of his bad intention. But as you put it, I need to have my own judgement and be careful.

VBV
Old 17th December 2007, 16:08   #40
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post

Regards
Rex
Tell me about it. I am usually a good driver, but when I get into one of these rages, it changes me and the change is something that I don't like as an afterthought.

I've told my wife to tell me when I am getting into one of these rages, sometimes if someone gives you the tap on the head, it helps.

VBV
Old 22nd December 2007, 09:43   #41
BHPian

Same here VBV i get out of the house with a cool head thinking i wont get angry or get into a 'rage' when i drive my car, but then no matter how slowly or carefully i drive, there is always sum idiot or the other who drives in such a way that i have no choice bu to get angry... Guess i Will have to try the tap on the head thig tough

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks