Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 10:04   #91
BANNED

My drive is hardly 30-45 minutes from home to office or in other way, so normally wont recieve any calls if get any then takes tae car to side and recieves or if traffic condition wont allow than skip the call, no funds to buy "Neeladaat" and having ages old mobile just to use as mobile phone no extra features.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:21   #92
BHPian

I dont like using a headphone since it is even more irritating than stopping the car. The wire can get tangled and cause distraction.

If I am alone, I use the speakerphone or else ask my wife/son to attend the call.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:39   #93
Senior - BHPian

Sony Ericsson HBH PV 702 Bluetooth headset
Nokia original handsfree kit (as a backup) when the bluetooth runs out of charge
Old 5th March 2008, 14:03   #94
BHPian

If you dont have any things else - The best option is to turn the Speaker phone ON
Old 13th March 2008, 06:57   #95

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

All depends on your budget and the features you want. My suggestion would be to buy a unit that is compatible with all bluetooth phones and not brand specific.

Viper

PS - Parrot prices range from Rs5.5k for the basic one to Rs17.5k for the Bluetooth CD/MP3/FM Player.
I basically want one which gets integrated with my head unit(alpine 9883) so that whenever i get a call,the system mutes and the call is played through the cars speakers or the standalone speaker of the bluetooth car kit.It should have a screen which displays the phone no as well.Dont want a HU as i have recently bought one.
Which model would you suggest in the parrot catalogue.Went to your site but apparently its off line.
As a Limit,would prefer not crossing 10k.Can you please tell me which all models are available in india and i can have a look at the USA site.And you still dealing in parrot,right?
Old 13th March 2008, 08:19   #96
BHPian

Use a hands-free kit. Could be Bluetooth or wired, as long as you use it and don't end up with your phone in your hand and car on footpath, if you now what I mean.
Old 13th March 2008, 17:36   #97
Senior - BHPian

I used to use the speaker phone on my SE w700i. Got an Iqua bluetooth headset now which is pretty handy and comfy.
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:12   #98
Senior - BHPian

Rarely

For safety's sake I pull over and stop and then answer or call back. I have had too many close calls from people with their phone up their.....ear.
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:36   #99
BHPian

Just an hour ago, my wife called me and told me that she has been caught talking on the phone while driving, near M.G. Road, Bangalore. She speaks Kanadda like mother tongue. So, I expected her to escape easily. But the policeman took the driving licence, asked for 400. I told her to collect the challan and get back the license. The police issue challan for driving negligently and driving with cell phone on.

I have two opinions about talking on phone while driving. The law says that you cannot have your mobile phone on while driving any vehicle. Not sure if it covers bicycles, which I ride regularly to my office. To my opinion this law is too strict for any practical enforcement. I also don't really think that talking on phone is really more dangerous than, say, talking to co-passengers or meddling with the music player or ogling at some hot girls. All of these do some distraction. But these things become less risky as the driver gain more experience in driving. In California, Arnold made law to ban cell phone driving for drivers below certain age, 21 if I remember correctly. In India, age cannot be a criteria for driving experience. I would suggest that people use their reasoning whether to take the call or not. Or just switch it off if you are not a sale or marketting person who cannot miss calls.

My next car will surely have Blue&Me from Microsoft. So, I will be free to talk
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:12   #100
Senior - BHPian

I never attend ANY calls when I am driving. I always ask my wife to attend the calls. Even if it is from my company director, I never attend calls when my car is in motion or when I am in the driver's seat!!! That is my rule!!!

Nothing is more important than our safety! All calls and emergencies can wait.
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:03   #101
BHPian

BT rulez!!!

My Bose Audio unit has BT built into it with audio & BT controls on the steering wheel. I have programmed the HU's phonebook with a few contacts whom I call regularly. So I do not have to pick up the phone to call them.

In case of an incoming call, the audio is muted and if the contact is configured in the HU's phonebook, their name is announced over the speakers, otherwise it just announces "You have an incoming call". Since I have set up separate rigntones for people whom I know and call me regularly, I know who's calling when it rings itself. Up to me whether to answer it or not and is done by the press of a button on the steering wheel. Pretty convenient feature.

If i get a call while driving, I answer the call only if i'm alone. and talk if its my parents or girlfriend who's calling. Its nice to hear their voice on a 9 speaker dolby surround sound system.
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:21   #102
BHPian

Still if the police want to catch us, they can as long as the phone is switched on as per the law. It does not matter if we are talking or not. If there is a co-passenger, we can at least tell the police that the phone belongs to the passenger. Not sure if the law also does not permit the passenger's phone being switched on. I'm also not sure if the law allows the phone to be switched on flight mode. Anybody has more information on this?
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:35   #103
BHPian

Ok. I did some search myself. It does suggest that passengers can receive the phone call, which means that phone can be switched on if there is a passenger, otherwise, it should be switched off.

See last two questions at Driving Tips, Precautions During Driving F.A.Q - Indian Driving Schools

Other links that I read are:
Public service ads don’t work but jail does! A wide angle view of India
List of countries that ban cellphone use while driving
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:58   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
If i get a call while driving, I answer the call only if i'm alone. and talk if its my parents or girlfriend who's calling. Its nice to hear their voice on a 9 speaker dolby surround sound system.
Must feel really nice when your GF is shouting her head off for forgetting her birthday!! That too on 9 speaker Dolby surround!!
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:38   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
I never attend ANY calls when I am driving. I always ask my wife to attend the calls. Even if it is from my company director, I never attend calls when my car is in motion or when I am in the driver's seat!!! That is my rule!!!

Nothing is more important than our safety! All calls and emergencies can wait.
I'm sure that everyone everywhere is an excellent driver. But picture this - if you talking on the cellphone with/without the fancy BT/ gadgets, etc and i wish you could drive behind your own car or see a recording of your own driving, then you would realize the problem.

Even a slight decrease in speed on a busy lane holds up the traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks