Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 19:47   #16
BANNED

That nailed thingy is used by govt. agencies - police, revenue and state excise (in Kerala at least) to catch vehicles in event of a chase.
They learnt the technique from "bandh" mongers and criminals who used these to stop potential victim's vehicles. In Malayalam, they are called "allu". അള്ള്.
Old 17th December 2007, 21:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Another common practice is to use the twisted wire from regular barbed wires. The sharpened wire sits at a perfect angle,and rest assured any tire that goes over it gets punctured.
Old 17th December 2007, 23:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely post Ram !! Thanks for the info.
Old 18th December 2007, 00:16   #19
Team-BHP Support

Mi6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
That nailed thingy is used by govt. agencies - police, revenue and state excise (in Kerala at least) to catch vehicles in event of a chase.
It's much bigger than that. They're used internationally - by MI6.
Reference: GoldenEye
Old 18th December 2007, 11:53   #20
BHPian

the first picture reminds me of the movie james bond ,when the rear of the bmw opens and all the caltrops are dropped on the road to puncture the mercedez
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Experience at Puncture Repair Shop

Hi,

I found that tyre pressure is less in a tyre and by morning the tyre was flat. I changed my punctured tyre, tube one, with the spare one and went to the puncture shop after the Domlur signal on the left hand side (in the compound of the closed IOC petrol pump) on the way to commando hospital. It is on the main road and he gets lot of business because of the excellent location.

Here goes my expereience. First he wanted to make my tubed tyre tubeless. It is just a makeshift shop with card board on the road side. I said NO.

After filling air, the guy claimed that there is no puncture and the tube is losing air slowly as the tube is faulty. I noticed that the tube is uneven and told him to replace the tube though I did not buy his theory that the tube does not have a puncture.

My tube size is 175/ 65 R14 and he wanted to use a R13 tube. I asked him the reason and he said that tube radius does not matter.
He did not have 175/ 65 R14 and told me he will get it from a shop which is 3 kms away. He collected 400 Rs from me and went running to the shop. He came back and told me that tube is not available and there is an expensive tube that costs 550 Rs.

I decided to go to the shop and check out the tube. He gave me false directions. After lot of searching and roaming around for 20 to 25 mins I found the shop which is 2 mins walk from his shop.The shop is Karnataka tyres in Domlur and the owner is a Sardarji who is a nice person. I learnt from the owner that the puncture guy wanted a tube costing 150 Rs which was unavailable. So he wanted to collect 550 Rs from me for Avon tube costing 350 bucks. Sardarji told me that the puncture guy takes all customers for a ride. The Sardarjis shop does puncture repairing 24 hrs and I decided to use his services next time.

I went back to the puncture shop and blasted the puncture guy. Just when I was leaving another guy working in the shop came and asked me whether I want to go tubeless. I just stared at him and said NO. The puncture guy whispered something to the other guy and he escaped.

The tube had a small puncture. I knew it, but replaced tube as the tube size was uneven. I was wondering what all tactics people play to make money.

Mods, I started a thread as I could not find a similar thread to share my experience. Please merge if a similar thread exists.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 2nd January 2008 at 14:36. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The tube had a small puncture. I knew it, but replaced tube as the tube size was uneven.
That is not a problem, when you take the tube out of the tyre and inflate it, most of them will have uneven surface with some areas bulging out. This is perfectly normal & you need not replace your tube for the same.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
That is not a problem, when you take the tube out of the tyre and inflate it, most of them will have uneven surface with some areas bulging out. This is perfectly normal & you need not replace your tube for the same.
Thanks Ishaan. I was wondering if it was normal.

I have taken the tube with me to use as a spare one.
Is it advisable to carry a spare tube when travelling on highway? In case the tube is damaged and no shops available for getting a spare one.
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In case the tube is damaged and no shops available for getting a spare one.

thats when you use the stepney!

and then get the flat tyre, fixed as soon as you come to service center.
(Where you can also buy a replacement tube)

In India, I guess that would be within the next 100 kms max.

my reasoning is based on not being sure for how long a time an unfilled tube will last in the heat.
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:09   #25
Team-BHP Support

where exactly is this sardarji's shop in domlur, will be helpful for quite a few of us who live on this side of town.
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
where exactly is this sardarji's shop in domlur, will be helpful for quite a few of us who live on this side of town.
Its on the on the first left road before Shanti Sagar hotel (opposite water tank) in Domlur when you go on the one way from Inner Ring Road to Domlur. Shanti Sagar Hotel is on the left side after Domlur Signal when you come from Airport.

I will post the address and mobile phone number of the shop. The bill must be at home. You need the mobile phone number to get his services after office hours. The puncture repair guy stays near the shop.
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:14   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Please note - TUBED AND TUBELESS TYRES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PRODUCTS. BOTH LOOK BLACK AND ROUND, OTHERWISE THERE IS NOTHING COMMON ABOUT THEM. PLEASE DO NOT - REPEAT - DO NOT EVER EVEN THINK OF MERGING THEM.

Obviously the puncturewallah wanted to pull a fast one. He is playing with lives of people and deserves severe reprimand.

Also, please use correct nominal diameter tubes only. Using a 13" tube in a 14" tyre will cause a sure blowout due to unengineered application.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Its on the on the first left road before Shanti Sagar hotel (opposite water tank) in Domlur when you go on the one way from Inner Ring Road to Domlur. Shanti Sagar Hotel is on the left side after Domlur Signal when you come from Airport.

I will post the address and mobile phone number of the shop. The bill must be at home. You need the mobile phone number to get his services after office hours. The puncture repair guy stays near the shop.

If I remeber correctly, are you talking about the one adjacent to the Lalithas food joint ? On the same side, we have fruit juice center and In the same lane, vijaya bank also exist !
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
If I remeber correctly, are you talking about the one adjacent to the Lalithas food joint ? On the same side, we have fruit juice center and In the same lane, vijaya bank also exist !
The shop is next to Ganesh Fruit Juice Center. I have not seen Lalithas food joint and Vijaya Bank.
When I was searching for the shop, I was told that it is next to juice center and I noticed the shop.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 3rd January 2008 at 17:13.
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The shop is next to Ganesh Fruit Juice Center. I have not seen Lalithas food joint and Vijaya Bank.
When I was searching for the shop, I was told that it is next to juice center and I noticed the shop.

Yes, I believe I am on the right track. For those who dont know, when you enter 7th Cross, Domlur Layout, Its behind Shanti Sagar Rest. They are a old couple who have been there for long time. Lalithas and Vijaya Bank are on the same lane for the landmark. Its been years since I had come to my old residencial layout

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks