Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 07:17   #31
BHPian

After getting ripped of by these punturewala shops twice, I now always keep a spare tube in my bike(no spare tyre you see...)
And since then, whenever i get a punture, and the shop fellow tries to give me a funda that my tube has gone bad, I simply tell him that I've a spare tube with me so he can replace the tube.Almost always the reaction has been..oh...let me fix the punture this time...since u have the spare tube, u can get it replaced anytime later.....

For the tubed car tyres also, IMO its best to keep a spare tube(wont take too much space anyway).

Regards,
Old 4th January 2008, 08:27   #32
BHPian

I'm not really bothered by this. 62K kms including many drives across Karnataka, TN and God's Own Country with only 1 puncture in 5 years in WagonR! I see no great reason to to watch out for nails

Now anyways have tubeless which can go quite a distance with a puncture.
Old 4th January 2008, 09:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

megger, you are one of the lucky ones. 62k and 1 puncture!

"May the luck be with you"
but be careful not to push it too hard! :-)
Old 4th January 2008, 10:09   #34
BHPian

These are the common practices practised by years who make their living by ripping and cheating people. I have come across lots and lots of this category of people.
Old 4th January 2008, 12:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
After getting ripped of by these punturewala shops twice, I now always keep a spare tube in my bike(no spare tyre you see...)
And since then, whenever i get a punture, and the shop fellow tries to give me a funda that my tube has gone bad, I simply tell him that I've a spare tube with me so he can replace the tube.Almost always the reaction has been..oh...let me fix the punture this time...since u have the spare tube, u can get it replaced anytime later.....

For the tubed car tyres also, IMO its best to keep a spare tube(wont take too much space anyway).

Regards,
Good. I am going to store the spare tube with my spare tyre.
Old 4th January 2008, 12:50   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The shop is next to Ganesh Fruit Juice Center. I have not seen Lalithas food joint and Vijaya Bank.
When I was searching for the shop, I was told that it is next to juice center and I noticed the shop.
Thanks a Ton.

Cow dung trick was brought to notice by the resort guy when we found some nails in our cars in Coorg, yeah the mud guards indeed had some cow dung lodged.

One thing i noticed was the performance oriented tyres (esp ones with V pattern) do attract lot of nails where as normal road tyres somehow dont. Last couple of weeks i had 2 screws lodged in my tyres (one while on trip to coorg and second one last weekend), luckily both dint puncture the tyres. Where as the regular road tyres in my iKON rarely used to get affected Maybe due to softer rubber compound also.

Just an observation, and its frustrating to keep checking the tyre thread every time you stop while you are on a highway trip.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2008 at 12:52.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:19   #37
BHPian

For certain class of people, if you are owning a four wheeler transcripts that have to be ripped apart and shell out money.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:12   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just an observation, and its frustrating to keep checking the tyre thread every time you stop while you are on a highway trip.

OTOH, it is always a good practise to have a look at all your four tyres everytime you get out of your car - wiether it is a long or short of medium trip. Or even when you get out for a P break. ;o)
Old 4th January 2008, 19:44   #39
BANNED

Tubes - 2 questions

1. How long will a spare tube (kept in the spare wheel bay, folded, uninflated) last?

2. I know that heavy vehicles follow the practise of putting a wee bit of chalk power between the tubes and tyres to keep teh friction down and "lubricate" the tubes. Anybody knows if this is done on cars / has some experience doing this? Have never come across this practise.
Old 4th January 2008, 22:54   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I know that heavy vehicles follow the practise of putting a wee bit of chalk power between the tubes and tyres to keep teh friction down and "lubricate" the tubes. Anybody knows if this is done on cars / has some experience doing this? Have never come across this practise.
Talcum Powder is a better option. It is basically meant to prevent the layers of rubber getting stuck to each other and rendering the tube useless. Lay out the tube flat and sprinkle talcum powder liberally and start folding. Sprikle talcum powder liberally for each fold. The idea is to get Talcum powder between the folds. Store in a perforated plastic bag or in a paper bag, horizontally in the boot and the tube should stay good for atleast 1 year, without ever being inflated. Taking the tube out ocassionally and making sure it is not getting sticky certainly helps.

Cheers.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 4th January 2008 at 22:55.
Old 7th January 2008, 11:38   #41
BHPian

Yesterday my Bolero got the first puncture at 3700kms immediately after the Tin factory junction to Hebbal flyover. I found a 2 inch bolt (no, not a nail) lodged in the rear left tyre (Apollo Amazer). I had to change the tube as i had run some distance (maybe 100 to 200m) with the puncture which damaged the tube.

Wonder how a blunt bolt could do the damage.

-- Torqy
Old 12th January 2008, 17:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
I'm not really bothered by this. 62K kms including many drives across Karnataka, TN and God's Own Country with only 1 puncture in 5 years in WagonR! I see no great reason to to watch out for nails

Now anyways have tubeless which can go quite a distance with a puncture.
Well on my bike also i had only a single puncture in 25k KM . But more than luck, i think it depends on what roads we travel. Highway or city, if the roads are used by a moderately heavy traffic( like a car/bus for atleast every 4-5mins), then chances that anyone sprinkling nails/wooden planks is rare. Because in such a case a good number of vehicles have to be pulled off the highway and sooner or later someone will identify the culprits. But , we MUST be watch ful when travelling on roads with sparse traffic and importantly at nights.
Old 14th January 2008, 16:47   #43
BHPian

All I say guys is we have enough worries in life. Do not nurure aditional phobias like expecting nails all the time while driving on roads
Old 16th January 2010, 16:53   #44

Puncture !!

(Mumbai)

You will find so many of these on Eastern Express highway. Ideally you wont need a puncture wala on eastern express highway as it is a nice and straight stretch. But still incase of a badluck you might get a puncture.

But here the puncture walas have put their numbers on the roads and are using road as their advertisement place. i many times use this highway, and everytime i see some guy or the other with a punctured tyre on that highway, and sometimes there are two to three punctured bike/cars on that road at a single time. Now how can there be so many punctures on any given day ??

Why cant police or RTO just Nip these guys as they have their numbers and dont need to by heart them also, they can just read them on road !!

Regards,
D-Man.

Attached Thumbnails
Tricks Puncture/Tyre shops play: "Beware of nails on roads" and other experiences-image000.jpg  

Tricks Puncture/Tyre shops play: "Beware of nails on roads" and other experiences-image016.jpg  

Tricks Puncture/Tyre shops play: "Beware of nails on roads" and other experiences-image005.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th January 2010 at 18:13. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread and post in relevant sub forum while opening new thread. thanks
Old 16th January 2010, 18:57   #45
BHPian

Cover around 20kmiles a year mostly in mainland Europe taking in as many Moto GP events and never travel without my tyre plugger. This looks like a Luger pistol where a rubber mushroom is inserted down the barrel where the center of the mushroom then folds in and secured with a screw on adaptor.The end of the adaptor tapers down to a 5mm shaft which is then inserted into the tyre with biceps of big Arnie the trigger action then pops the mushroom inside. The mushroom stem is now sitting proud and excess cut off. A small gas cylinder to inflate. This is purely a get you home or garage job and max:recommended speed is 60 mph. The guy who was rescued was so releived as a breakdown service runs to over £120 that he decided to pop 100mph wheelies along the M25 motorway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks