Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2007, 12:28   #1
BHPian

Tricks Puncture/Tyre shops play: "Beware of nails on roads" and other experiences

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. Thanks

hi everybody,
Just wanted to share my expierience when i was travelling from kerala to pune.I left from kerala and stayed for one day at bangalore,on my way from bangalore to pune ,i think i was reaching nippani[karnataka border] i noticed a young boy about 14-15yrs doing something on the road, i stopped aside and had a look to my shock i noticed that dude putting nails on the road i went to him and stopped him he started getting scared, i took the nails from him and kept it in my car he said he had no more nails i asked him why was he doing this his reply was he would getRs30 daily for doing this, he was paid by a tyre shop owner the tyre shop was located about 2 or 3kms ahead which i saw later. I wanted to take some strict action against the tyre shop owner but then realized i was in a place where no contacts and did not even no where is the nearest police station i made sure no nails where stuck on my tyres and moved ahead.I realized what all people can do to make money

Last edited by GTO : 15th December 2007 at 15:59.
Old 15th December 2007, 12:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Isn't this a very old practice?
But interesting to know how these road side tyres guys repair tubeless.
Old 15th December 2007, 12:43   #3
BHPian

Welcome to the big bad world of Indian Highways
Old 15th December 2007, 17:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

These guys want to make some money by crooked means and they employ children between 10~14 yrs to do these kind of jobs and these children risk their lives in planting the nails on roads. What a shame. Is there anybody available to check these kind of crimes and put the tyre shop repairs owner behind bars?
Old 15th December 2007, 17:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Happens on the mumbai pune expressway too.Missed a wooden plank full of nails some months back.
All we can do is keep our eyes wide open and always be alert.
Old 15th December 2007, 21:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

A group of people were arrested in Pune for scattering nails around the khadki area (near Harris Bridge and near the Khadki Police station) a few months back.
Old 15th December 2007, 21:47   #7
BHPian

OMG.

Thanks for the heads - up.
Old 15th December 2007, 22:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently, I went with a bunch of friends to Mysore (3 bikes and one car) and we had just left Bangalore when I had a flat in my front tyre

And "luckily" for me, there was a puncture repair shop abt 4 kms down the road and that guy conveniently ripped me off....

But I didnt find any nails in the tube or in the tyre...
Old 15th December 2007, 22:28   #9
BANNED

It would be a good thing to publish name of the shop....
Old 15th December 2007, 22:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Happens on the mumbai pune expressway too.Missed a wooden plank full of nails some months back.
Where do you get tyre repair shop on expressway?
Old 16th December 2007, 00:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Where do you get tyre repair shop on expressway?
Well those nails are to disable the car and lootImagine having to stop on the expressway in the night.Pretty unsafe i must say.
Old 16th December 2007, 09:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its never really a "coincidence" that u find puncture repair shops just when u have a puncture !! I found not one but two 3-inch nails stuck to my rear left tyre.. luckily since its tubeless, the air was released slowly and the tyre started deflating only after 1 day. Tough luck for the repair shop owner !!
Old 16th December 2007, 12:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
It would be a good thing to publish name of the shop....
most of these tiny shops by the highway dont have names.
Old 17th December 2007, 15:42   #14
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Caltrop

Here's something more effective than just scattering nails on the road. A purpose built device.

About twenty-one years ago I visited the Airborne museum Hartenstein, at Oosterbeek near Arnhem, the Netherlands. Remember the 1977 movie, "A Bridge Too Far" about the WW2 Operation Marketgarden (battle for Arnhem)? The museum is a monument to that Sept. 1944 operation. My company TCS's Dutch office Arnag-Tata B.V. was just next door to the museum.

At that museum, I learned of a cheap gizmo used in WW2 to deflate the enemy's tires.

Two nails sharpened at both ends, were welded or twisted together and bent into a tripod. When thrown, this tripod would always land with one sharp spike pointing at the sky.

This ingenious device was called a Caltrop. And the German military trucks carried huge sackloads full of them, for deployment as anti-vehicle devices.

From 350 BC to this day, the caltrop has been an ideal passive weapon--easy to construct, cheap to manufacture. It has wreaked havoc on vehicle tires as well as the hooves of horses and pads of camels and killed or disabled countless soldiers. Unlike other weapons, nothing modern has ever completely replaced it.

OT: The Japanese Ninja had a variant they called Makibishi. Hammered iron plate was cut and bent into these diabolical metal thorns. The Makibishi was sometimes coated with animal-dung to guarantee fever and Tetanus.

Ram
Old 17th December 2007, 16:51   #15
BHPian

@ram: That was some good info about a piece of metal. Thanks.

-- Torqy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks