Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 13:45   #16
BHPian

Phew windsurfer that is a scary ordeal you've been through. Yes, it was a mistake (taking a turn at such a high speed), but thank god that nothing happened and am sure you've learnt never to do the same.

Drive safe buddy.
Old 17th December 2007, 14:22   #17
BHPian

i know guys, it was a mistake. Should not have pushed the car in corners. Well, I have learnt a good lesson and will never do it again.
Old 17th December 2007, 14:43   #18
Team-BHP Support

what tyres are you running? IMHO stock tyres dont do justice for high speed cornering.
Old 17th December 2007, 14:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is the very reason why one shouldn't apply brakes while taking corners especially at high speeds. Since the brakes are not properly biased in passenger cars, the traction between and front and rear tyres differs and causes the car to go out of control.

Make sure you do not take corners at high speeds unless you know what you are doing.

Best way to deal with it is to lift off the throttle rather than applying brakes.
Old 17th December 2007, 15:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

there was a similar post by a swift owner. You didn't counter steer. Atleast that's what i've been told to do on a bike, and what i learnt from that discussion!
Old 17th December 2007, 15:10   #21
Team-BHP Support

counter steer

An excellent article. IMO a must read for all riders

Motorcycle Countersteering - Surviving the Streets - Motorcycle Cruiser

but as the article itself will repeat, practise practise and keep practising.

to actually do it is different from knowing how to do it.
Old 17th December 2007, 15:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
what tyres are you running? IMHO stock tyres dont do justice for high speed cornering.
I doubt even if he had wider tires he would've been spared that moment of scare.These cars are not those super sports cars which can handle corners like hell hound.We just need to be lil' bit more careful and learn to respect few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Another one after SB's post.. Just wonder if t-bhp forum is encouraging people to try out the limits of their cars on public roads??? There is definitely a strong need to convince ourselves that speed is not the ultimate thing in driving!
And why I feel exactly the same,sometimes I do feel the same.No, I'm not blaming the forum for this but it's myself(or should I say ourselves,we are mature enough to decide for ourselves) who needs to be careful and try to control that adrenalin rush.
But anyway, thank God that nothing serious happened and you are safe.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:03   #23
BHPian

Agreed guys.

I am running on stock tyres. i don't think wider tyres would have made a lot of difference. I still might have gone through the same thing with little more control. Still not good enough to risk on highways.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Another one after SB's post.. Just wonder if t-bhp forum is encouraging people to try out the limits of their cars on public roads??? There is definitely a strong need to convince ourselves that speed is not the ultimate thing in driving!

But it could be a case of,
we are reading about these near fatal episodes because they get reported by members and the other near misses on the other part of the world dont even get reported.

A ratio of such reported episodes as against the total number of members. Will be a nice stat to have.

We can then probably conclude, if we inadverently are encouraging.
No offence meant to anyone. Not that any of us would encourage such antics/stunts on public roads
Old 17th December 2007, 16:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Agreed guys.

I am running on stock tyres. i don't think wider tyres would have made a lot of difference. I still might have gone through the same thing with little more control. Still not good enough to risk on highways.
With wider and better rubbers you might not have lost control at all, in the first place. But yes its not worth all this antics on an indian road

To site an example, i almost got sand witched between 2 trucks at 120 kph yesterday night, with one long tractor trailer truck pulling out from service lane without looking. This was a turn downhill and if not for the wider rubbers i would have landed with a very bad incident, even the current once were really tested yesterday if you ask me. Yes it would have been my fault coz of my impatient overtaking from the left

Oh one more thing, once you loose control unless you are a PRO its very difficult to recover, especially in a PANIC, so better prevent it and avoid it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th December 2007 at 16:21. Reason: catch em before you loose em.. the ends..
Old 17th December 2007, 16:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

Good thing everything went fine in the end.

Please be careful with stock tyres, that too on a non- ABS car (My car also doesn't have). Its potential for trouble.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:25   #27
rippergeo

I know this is an armchair analysis, but I'd like to try and explain what happened,
Step 1
you entered and exited the corner too fast
the car did the best it could, what it was supposed to do i.e- it understeered
you couldnt keep the car in your lane, you overshot and ended up in front of the indica
Step 2- you try and correct the situation by tapping the brakes.
bad idea!
(but it might have been your only option-I dont know, I was'nt there)

hitting the brakes transfers the weight of the car to the front wheels and makes the rear lose traction
you ended up pointing to the extreme left of the road, with the risk of running off it and damaging yourself or wrapping yourself around a scenic stone/tree/lampost/railing- you get the picture right?

Step 3- its not a good idea to be part of the roadside scenery so you try and correct the situation by countersteering, might have worked, but didnt in your case(never does anyway), now the possibility is that you might go off road onto the right side of the road.

basically, you went from predictable understeer to completely out of control oversteer. not meant to happen in a front wheel hatch(especially the fine handling palio) but you pushed the poor thing too far (we all do it,some of us live to tell the tale-lucky us)

Things to do to avoid this situation
(in order of my preference)- you may change the order as you wish
1. Slow down- this usually helps
2. get better tyres- this helps too
3. apex hunting/corner carving is best left to trackdays or when you are a 100%sure there is no one around for 1km radius(read as NEVER)
4. braking mid corner is suicide- so dont do that, brake early, downshift if needed and accelerate out of the corner once the car is pointing straight again. if you have to brake, try and brake in a straight line or as close to a straight line as possible.
5. try not to lift off the throttle mid corner either(especially in the lower gears) you have to ease off if needed

Things to do once you are in this situation
1.Pray
2.ease off throttle
3.avoid braking hard,use the least possible braking,that too,only to avoid collisions,and slow down gradually

Never
try and use the hanbrake in an oversteer situation- just makes things worse

we are not drift gods
if in an oversteer, the best you can do is slowdown gradually by easing off gradually and braking judiciously

PS- now all I have to do is sit back and enjoy the brick bats that come my way

Old 17th December 2007, 16:26   #28
BHPian

Though I am planning to upgrade to wider tyres, it would not happen anytime soon. I think, i am too shaken to even try that again. But, the positive side of it, it had cleared my doubts of Palio handling. I was kind of blaming the car for not performing. Now, I am not. This could have happened with any car. I never try these kind of antics on any other car. Last time I was driving a 800, i could not push it beyond 80kmph even on good roads. I am not a bad driver but sometimes you just are over confident. And with a car like Palio, it is very easy to be.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Taking TIGHT corners on HIGH speeds (100+) is a sure recipe for disaster, and it doesn't matter if your Car is ABS or non-ABS or on Stock or Wider tyres.

When driving, know yours and your Car's limitations!
Old 17th December 2007, 16:37   #30
BANNED

What is the angle of curve? If the angle more 60 degrees, then you can easily take it at 100Kmph.

Most Viewed