Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 15:08   #16
Team-BHP Support

Carry the lens kit with you to wash just in case. Avoid driving with windows down and use mild AC, some people get dryness when driving in AC cars for long, so carry some lubricants also. In case of irritation, immediately remove and revert to glasses.

Otherwise just proceed as normal.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:14   #17
BHPian

My wife prefers disposable lens as she claims that they are more comfortable for long drives. And she also says blinking a lot and not staring for a long time also helps.
AC is always pointed away from her to reduce the dryness.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:04   #18
BHPian

Which is a better medium: Spectacles or Lenses

Abt a couple of days ago , i had gone on a joyride to Sirmour, H.P. (gr8 ambience & natural beauty). Rushed there in the morning at abt 7am using the following route:

Delhi-Murthal-Sonipat-Panipat-Karnal-Shahbad(180kms)- (Turn Right) towards Kala Amb(Abt 60 kms from there). Straight road, minimal traffic.

At kala amb, u can goto Nahan Or Naraingarh or Renuka Wildlife Sanctuary. All the places are great for a rejuvenation from routine issues.

Now on the same day , i decided for the comeback. Now starts my problem:

I started at abt 5 in the evening & touced the NH-1 in an hour's time at abt 5:50. As lights were fading pretty quickly i turned on the blaze.

Now, after the sun had gone for a good night sleep at abt 6:30, a major issue i faced was the glare of the cars coming from behind. They were moving on high beams. Well i found a solution to that by twisting the Rear View Mirror to Night mode. But the ORVMs were causing a lot of discomfort. Also as this was my first/second time i was driving in the night on a highway i was facing a lot of issues. I was feeling a lot of strain on my eyes (whether due to my first time or due to the extra glare on my spectacles). I was in a lot of discomfort & couldn't concentrate on driving, though managed the rest of the drive in abt 3hrs till Delhi Border.

Now, i want to ask all the guys that whether i should get a polaroid spectacle(that anti glare type) or whether i should opt for lenses while driving at night.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Your thread has been merged with the existing thread on the topic. Henceforth please do a search before you post.
Old 17th December 2007, 19:42   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Now, after the sun had gone for a good night sleep at abt 6:30, a major issue i faced was the glare of the cars coming from behind. They were moving on high beams. Well i found a solution to that by twisting the Rear View Mirror to Night mode. But the ORVMs were causing a lot of discomfort. Also as this was my first/second time i was driving in the night on a highway i was facing a lot of issues. I was feeling a lot of strain on my eyes (whether due to my first time or due to the extra glare on my spectacles).
What is the power of your lenses? Anything above 4 or so, and you may be better off with lenses. Anything below 3 and you may be better off with glasses since the difference is not worth the effort of using lenses.
The glare problem - I guess you need to get used to that.
Lenses avoid that sort "halo"/chromatic aberration around light sources.

But remember that recommended use period for lenses is 8 hours at a time; but I normally use them for well above 14 (average being 12 hours). At least 2 -3 times a month, I go above 18 hours; and have gone up to 20 hours on more than a couple of occassions.

I use soft lenses (not monthly or weekly disposable ones).
Old 17th December 2007, 20:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

At night i prefer wearing spectacles instead of lenses as its more comfortable and also with anti glare lenses in spectacles, it helps in clearing some of the glare of oncoming head lights.
Old 17th December 2007, 21:36   #22
BHPian

Are there special glasses for night driving...just to cut the headlight glare.....non-tinted?
I don't wear spectacles otherwise.

-- Torqy
Old 17th December 2007, 22:04   #23
BHPian

@Backstreetdriver

Bro! The spects power is -2.25 each with no cylinderical abberation. The thing is that once you witness the light from behind it kinda gets embeded in your eyes for a moment & then its quite hard to concentrate in front of you.

Anyways, i think i shud go for an anti-glare glass lens. Wat do u suggest,will it help.

Another thing is that when i drive in the city i dont feel that much discomfort as the speed is too slow, but ya it certainly discomforts me.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:18   #24
BANNED

Varun, 2.25 is low power. With that, you really do not need lenses, because you should be able to move around normally, and even drive around in case emergencies without the glasses at all. (only reading and making out 2 feet and smaller object at 50Meters or farther will be problem.

So, stick to the glasses, and try out the anti-glare ones.

But remember that so many people are uncomfortable driving in night; even some professional drivers do ask me to spare them of night driving.

Do not feel bad or strange about this. You will need to learn to adjust and look away, and even allow vehicles with big headlights to pass.

In case you cannot adjust after one more drive, I suggest you try driving in sparse traffic with an experienced driver with you.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:58   #25
BHPian

Slightly off-topic:

I have never used lenses, always glasses and feel comfortable with them.

I always carry two pairs with me. One normal glasses - Carl Zeiss lenses with anti-glare coating. These are really a boon while driving in night. One has to experience these to fully appreciate what wonder anti-glare coating is. The other set are powered sun-glasses - Essilor Crizal lenses.

\N
Old 18th December 2007, 12:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Varun, 2.25 is low power. With that, you really do not need lenses, because you should be able to move around normally, and even drive around in case emergencies without the glasses at all. (only reading and making out 2 feet and smaller object at 50Meters or farther will be problem.

So, stick to the glasses, and try out the anti-glare ones.

But remember that so many people are uncomfortable driving in night; even some professional drivers do ask me to spare them of night driving.

Do not feel bad or strange about this. You will need to learn to adjust and look away, and even allow vehicles with big headlights to pass.

In case you cannot adjust after one more drive, I suggest you try driving in sparse traffic with an experienced driver with you.
Yeah you have to adjust.My power is minus 5 in both the eyes and i wear only glasses now and i anyday prefer driving in the nights than in the day.Its just that i have adjusted to it and enjoy it.Once u get adjusted to the do's and don't of night driving there wont be any problem
Old 18th December 2007, 12:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

In my experience of late night driving I prefer Lenses for a few reasons:

1. A lot of the times in our dusty conditions our spectacles pick up scratches which magnify refraction/dispersion of the light from the vehicles coming from the other side. This can be a major problem for most people.

2. In lenses, I've always seen no additional refraction/dispersion & that for me makes a world of difference in seeing what is ahead of me.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Now, after the sun had gone for a good night sleep at abt 6:30, a major issue i faced was the glare of the cars coming from behind. They were moving on high beams. Well i found a solution to that by twisting the Rear view Mirror to Night mode. driving at night.
Hey, I am not aware of this 'twisting' feature. Is it only in some cars?
Old 18th December 2007, 14:11   #29
Team-BHP Support

I feel the same way as Iraghava. I have been using lenses since the past 6 years or so, and i have felt them to be quite comfortable however i look at it. I use the soft lenses, and the monthly disposable ones among them.

For night driving, just follow the instructions given by others at the start of this thread. Basic thing is to wash them once in 8 hours or so with the lens solution to keep them moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hey, I am not aware of this 'twisting' feature. Is it only in some cars?
Vnabhi, this should be there on your Fiesta as well. All you need to do is push back the knob you have on your car's rear-view mirror and it switches to 'Night Mode', where reflections from beams of vehicles behind get cut out. Remember, use it only for night driving. To do so, reverse the process mentioned earlier.
Old 19th December 2007, 22:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Basic thing is to wash them once in 8 hours or so with the lens solution to keep them moist.
Is this a kind of rule, otherwise the problems caused are normal?

Why I ask this, is because, I had been observing this and thought this to be a problem with my eyes only. After a longday of wearing the CL my vision probaBly gets blurry, unless I blink repeatedly.

I would try taking the CL off and putting back after washing to see if that helps me.

The other problem is, my eye power is between 2.5-3 in each eye for both the spherical and the cylindrical components. The doc adviced getting spherical correction only, as getting both will not enable me to procure a soft-CL which will be uncomfortable. With that, I see potholes or road irregularities better with specs than with CL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks