Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2007, 22:16   #1
KVS
BHPian

Which one is better for night driving: Spectacles or Lenses?

I have acquired Contact lens recently. I have not used them in long drive. Would like to know from fellow Team-Bhpians experience in long driving using contact lens?

I prefer to use them in my next long drive, because it gives good periphery vision and I can use goggles while driving.

Any one of you use Contact lens, please give me your feed back.

Cheers

KVS
Old 16th December 2007, 23:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

cl

If you have soft contact lenses, you shouldn't have a problem. However, do carry your eye-care kit with you (eye-lubricant, lens solution, lens case, eye-glasses, etc.) just to be on the safe side.

For semi-soft lenses, you'll be better off driving with windows closed - as even small amounts of dust will cause great discomfort - which can be deadly.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Depends on how long a drive it is and whether it is with AC on or off. Contact lenses in general rob your eyes of moisture so it is a good idea to carry some rewetting solution with you in the car and use a couple of drops in both eyes every couple of hours.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to worry boss. Completely okay. Just ensure AC blast not on eyes directly. In car anyways no dust will come in. Its 10x better than driving with specs - enhanced peripheral vision and looks better in pics too

Been using since three years, cant live with lenses!!
Old 16th December 2007, 23:31   #5
BHPian

It depends on the type of lens you have, lenses have different continous wear times.It is better to drive with ac on to avoid dust particles and keep the AC vents away from your face because if its directly blowing towards your face the lens tends to become dry easily.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Also if you are continiously wearing them during the day and driving in the night.Take them out once/clean them which removes the proteins which have accumualted during the day and then wear it again.This way your eyes will breath a little and the same amount of comfort will be back as it was when u wore them for the first time during the day.
Also disposable contacts are way more comfortable for an entire days driving trip than the soft long use ones.
Was a regular user of contact lenses for 3 years until i got a cornea infection and had to bid them a goodbye.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Like everyone said, it's not a problem at all as long as you follow a few precautions. I regularly wear them on my travels which can at times mean that I have them on for up to14-16hrs. continuously while driving & working and have no problems.

But, if possible do try & carry your kit along whenever you're on a long distance drive.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:58   #8
BHPian

Hey KVS.. as the other guys are suggesting, carry your kit along with ya. It can get you in a troublesome situation if the lens pops out ( yeah it does sometimes.. if worn for a long period )
Also carry a spare pair of disposable lenses with the kit. I have been using lenses since 96 and been thru all the trouble, so now i make it a point to carry another pair with me along with the kit.
Old 17th December 2007, 01:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

It can pop out courtesy wind/dust as well!

Another approach i personally do, is to ride in morning with glasses, and put lenses on by night only. so that eyes don't get lenses for more than 10-12 hours at a stretch.

as for additional pair, i carry the old pair (i use monthly ones!) which is typically good enouh for sos purposes
Old 17th December 2007, 07:45   #10
BANNED

While driving, make sure you have a pair of the normal glasses handy on the car - useful in emergencies like eye irritation and lenses falling off - like when wiping the face. You will be frequently washing your face and there is a chance that lenses get displaced while wiping your face.
On trips, carry an extra pair with you, in addition to the glasses.
I have used them up to 20 hours; but not while driving. (not gone on long drives on own car)
Keep the windows rolled up - even when the a/c if off, I keep the glass open only 2 inches or so - want to keep out the dust.

I see no reason to use goggles - but using a good pair of big rimmed photo chromatic sunglasses is a good idea.

Carry a bottle of plain boiled drinking water with you on the car - useful to wash face in case things get too dusty. Washing your face once in 2 or 3 hours will keep dust out of your eyes.
Old 17th December 2007, 08:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

and yes, please don't treat lenses like little babies. if something goes in, just put any decent water you can find. ideally, lens solution - otherwise anything will do. They are made for decent abuse- just make sure after a long dusty day you don't wear lenses the next day. helps the eyes recover the moisture!
Old 17th December 2007, 09:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Neen using it for last 10 years. Once had an issue coz I was not careful. Use a good eyewear if you are riding coz you don't want it to get dry.

Carry a lube ( forgot its name), costs 90rs I guess; helps moist lens/eyes.
Old 17th December 2007, 11:38   #13
KVS
BHPian

Thanks to all of you. Your suggestions are very useful and I do need to worry now. I am using soft lens, which can be used for a month.

Thought I will summarise all the suggestions below.

1. Carry the following
  • Eye-lubricant,
  • Lens solution,
  • Lens case,
  • Eye-glasses,
  • Extra pair of glasses
  • Extra pair of Lens
2. Following pre-cautions while driving
  • Remove the lens and clean them for any protien deposites. This helps for eyes also
  • Use moisture drops every two hours to reduce the dryness
  • Use A/C to prevent Dust
Cheers

KVS
Old 17th December 2007, 14:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

I use contacts for long drives, they are comfortable and is better since you can wear goggles with it. But make sure you raise up your windows, while driving through dusty roads.

Always keep the contacts lens case in your car and also your spectacles.
Old 17th December 2007, 15:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

KVS bhai

that is OVERKILL!!!!

I normally take nothing on bike rides for a day. If its a dusty area - I carry the lens case filled to brim with lens solution - if in case i need to remove lens for something (say you rubbed your eyes, something got in, spices around). one eyed pirate for 40 odd mins, and then back like normal.

No point carrying your world with you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks