Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 18:06   #16
BHPian

I was on my way to college in my cedia, and i was at the Hebbal Flyover, this is an Vehicle Actuated Signal, and trust me guys i have seen tons of people just going after the signal turned red.

Once i was just getting to the signal when it turned red, so i stopped a truck driver comes really fast, i though he would hit me, but he stopped and then started honking the horn, i kept quiet for a while, then i got down from my car and told him to fly over my car if he wanted to so badly go.... everyone at the signal were laughing by then ... but boy was i in a hot mood or what.

Firstly these mornons dont follow the rules, and they irritate people following the rules by pestering them to break the rules.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Jumping signals seems to be the in-thing these days. One starts to look stupid waiting for the signal to turn green, takes a lot of resolve to maintain that decency.
I had someone asking me to go once when there was about 60 seconds left. It was close to midnight. I asked them to get down and walk.

Recently a friend of mine jumped a red in his relatively new Fiesta and got badly rammed into by a maruti van. He has definately learnt his lesson.

As T-Bhpians I think its important for us to adhere to rules otherwise what right do we have cribbing about traffic?

Let the other people on the road feel they are the "bigger" person by racing ahead. We can smile secretly to ourselves and feel content
Old 27th December 2007, 18:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

last night, i had stopped at about 2220 at a signal, where I was to take a "U" turn. a couple of auto's came behind me and started honking. One auto drive had the gumption to come upto me and say - "saar, its past 10pm, dont bother about signals". I ignored him, and moved forward so that they can go ahead.
Sometimes- i wonder - why do people bother breaking rules? is it thrilling? this is sad that people jump.
I had a co-worker asking me- "why do you stop at signals at 0630 in the morning? are you mad?"

Last edited by madan80 : 27th December 2007 at 18:16.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I was once hit from behind by the infamous (Mumbai) BEST bus for not moving before the signal turned Green. There were about 5 seconds to go & he was in a tearing hurry. When I went to the station to register a complaint, I was surprised to see that BEST had already filed a complaint against me.
The cop suggested that I should just forget the whole incident and get the work done as it was just "A minor dent".
That is BEST at its BEST. Instead of cops you should where ever physically possible.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:17   #20
BHPian

I was once honked by a police qualis at the lights, like 10 seconds before the light turned green. I hadn't realized it is a police car, and I did my normal thing of waiting an extra three seconds for all that honking. Then I sloooowly pulled across and merrily went along. The qualis overtook me and then I realized it is a police car.

Reinforced my belief that there is no driver education for cops, and many don't even have license.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:23   #21
BHPian

Good On You Rajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

Been experiencing this for the past two years in Bangalore. I am generally stopped at the front on a red signal. I tend to stop when it turns amber .

When the count down clock shows less than 10 seconds to go, the morons behind me start honking.

I was really getting frustrated with this impatience and on my bike, I just stood my ground and waited for green. Now that I bought a car, I just turn up the music volume, till the signal turns green.

Anyways, I refuse to budge, before the signal turns GREEN...

Cheers,
Rajan
I do the same thing. However if its too much honking I turn around & give them a birdie (If I'm on my pulsar180). In my palio I just raise the volume. (I don't risk a birdie in the car. Its definitely not worth the key-scratch or the dent I might get)

One thing is certain. NO WAY TILL THE GREEN

Cheers
Old 27th December 2007, 22:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Everytime I get to drive in B'lore,this happens. Wait at the signal,and people start honking. The last time I was in India,while waiting at the lights on MG Rd,with over 20 seconds to go before the lights turn green, people start honking. One biker right behind my car starts off too. I wait for a few seconds,and then get out of the car. I walk upto him and ask him if he's in labor,that makes him go on honking. I told him to take a turn towards Shivajinagar,and go to Bowring Hospital so he could get himself admitted into the Labor Room. Oh boy..was I annoyed or what.
Old 27th December 2007, 22:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Best way to ride / drive in bangalore is to get a tipper or earth excavator like JCB with JBL installed .

Last edited by black12rr : 27th December 2007 at 22:17.
Old 27th December 2007, 22:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Best way to ride / drive in bangalore is to get a tipper or earth excavator like JCB with JBL installed .
True!
Or if there were Army surplus Tanks.. that would work even better.
Old 27th December 2007, 22:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

There used to be one signal in one part of Kolkata that I do not frequent, that supposedly turns red (directly from green) for 5 seconds then turns back to green again.

On one occasion, our Fiat approached that green signal after having overtaken a CSTC bus doing 60ish. I had moved to the left lane after overtaking the bus. The signal turned red and I applied the brakes, Fiat came to a Halt at the stop line, only to see that the bus that was a spec in the RVM was now hurtling towards our rear.

The Bus swerved to its right and had become very unstable in doing so, luckily I found the light to have turned green and as I always keep the car in gear on a signal, was quick in releasing the clutch and move forward.

The next Signal the Bus driver caught us up and was all expletives for us having stopped at a red signal that usually turns green in 5 seconds (which is why he disregarded it). According to him people like us should not be driving. Its people like us that cause accidents and not people like him that drive an incapable new vintage machine at speeds that appear to be breakneck but is insanely slow. Worse still, he had the support of his passengers giving him the larger than life persona.

One more time, this time I was a bus passenger, another car did the same thing on a different crossing. The Bus driver who had ample time beforehand to know that the car would stop had decided to race the yellow light only to find the car to have obeyed the red light. He applied hard brakes to stop behind the car. All passengers were topsy turvy.Hence the Passengers castigated the bus driver for having injured so many passengers for saving just one car!! No one, no one pointed out the true cause that the Bus driver was actually driving faster than the safe braking limits and he was adamant at racing the yellow signal that had actually caused this. When I pointed this, the passengers were furious, they said, if I had so much sympathy for the car owners, why dont I move in a car and not a bus.

Last edited by 1100D : 27th December 2007 at 22:27.
Old 27th December 2007, 22:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

The passengers inside the bus are actually dumber than the driver himself. They seem to believe that the bus driver is always right. Unbelievable.
Old 28th December 2007, 01:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The passengers inside the bus are actually dumber than the driver himself. They seem to believe that the bus driver is always right. Unbelievable.
I've heard some people on a KSRTC bus tell me that the drivers who ferry passengers are nothing short of being the Supreme being. On a bus from B'lore to Mysore,the driver of the bus I was travelling in kept doing everything a sane driver would abstain from. From weaving in & out of traffic,to even going on the wrong side of a road with a median (apparently,he wanted to get past the backed up traffic,so he decided to go against oncoming traffic,by going over the median).

All I can say is that feeling the ground underneath my feet (when we got to Mysore) was sheer bliss!
Old 28th December 2007, 01:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
takes a lot of resolve to maintain that decency.
I second your thought on that. I really dont know what anybody could accomplish during that timeframe that they are waiting for the signal to turn green.

Also, shows the sorry state of affairs of our law enforcement agencies. If only the traffic police came down heavily upon transgressors such as these, will the others think twice before attempting anything like that. Enforcement is the key which is grossly missing here.
Old 28th December 2007, 11:13   #29
BHPian

Don't lose heart buddy. It is way of life there. And way of life is different in every Indian city. That's what really makes our Bharat Mahaan.

Cyclists really give me a scare in Indore. I wonder how people drive without much scratches.

Behram - try driving in some of the cities in UP, would love to see how you react then

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Hello to all,

I was in Indore for the full of last week and I was shocked to see that the "signals do their own thing and the traffic does it's own thing". I hope good sense prevails in Indore otherwise there is a disaster waiting to happen. Also in Indore - oldies pottering around in Maruti 800s on the extreme right of the road and nothing makes them to shift lanes. And going round a roundabout to take a right turn ? I looked like a fool but I did go round everytime - MY GOD ! A foreigner sitting with me said - "Behram, I see my death approaching. Do something".
Old 28th December 2007, 11:27   #30
BHPian

We need to watch out for early morning travel and late night travels, when people tend to jump signals. Esp our famous CALL CENTER CABS and TRUCKS, who always appear to go to the LOO urgently

I had a few near misses with them in the IT corridor in BLR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks