Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2005, 18:23   #1
BHPian

Opel Corsa V/S Maruti Wagon R

Hi. I want to share this one experience i had when i was coming back from Lonavla. I have a 1.6 Corsa stock. I was driving with total of 4 plus me driving the car and good amount of luggage in the car. It was during the rainy season. I was going at around 150 km/hr on the expressway. Suddenly i see this white color wagon r come up from behind me as if he had just injected nos and just over took me in barely 2 seconds. I was totally shocked. The car was stock and was a driver and one dude who was sleeping inthe back seat. The driver was driving with his window half down and glared a dirty look as he passed by. I had my air con on and accelerated to around 170km/hr and took me atleast 8 ~ 10 seconds as I over took him. Again I dropped my speed to around 155 ~ 160 again he came and over took me.. His car was wobbling alot and I thought at some point of time he is going to overturn only. Finally I got upto 180km/hr and overtook him and was right in front of him throwing water all over him so he got pissed and tried to overtake but i think his 1100cc engine was upto the limit and backed off since the water was really hitting him as his window was down. it was pretty funny to see him come so fast. Lighter car, lighter load but still.. I was really impressed by my car that it could go so fast and stable in rains and with 5 ppl plus luggage in the car.. Thats German Engineering for you..
Old 3rd January 2005, 18:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have a Wagon R and let me tell you, you have to be stupid to drive a Wagon R at those speeds.

I don't think the the Wagon R has a top speed in excess of 150kmph. And if he overtook you in 2 secs with you at 150, he should have been doin 170+, which that car isn't capable of.

Either that guy had an Esteem engine under that hood or, you have serious speedo error.

I've never had the guts to take my Wagon R beyond 120. Doin 150+ is out of the question.

Shan2nu
Old 3rd January 2005, 19:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

i agree with shan.
there is no way that a wagon r can do 160+.
ur corsa seems to have speedo error.

and wat do u mean by throwing water and that too at those speeds.
u wrer endangering the lives of 7 people including urself.and i dont think u need to be so happy abt u in a 1.6 liter engine overatking a 1.1engine.

drive safe dude,
satya
Old 3rd January 2005, 19:34   #4
BHPian

Speedo is fine... though usually it differs as you go higher and higher but that wagon r was fast.. I dont think it had another engine inside cause the car was like new only(plastic still existed on some parts of the interiors) And ya satya I aint happy but was just wondering how the hell did this guy zoom by me so fast.. Throwing water is when im ahead of him and he is tailgating but due to rainfall the water was flying off behind creating a misty blanket.... But that guy had B*&@s to drive that fast especially with those non existing tyres..
Old 3rd January 2005, 19:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

seems like both of u were on Mission Self-destruction.
doing 100+ in the rain is an absolute foolishness.
and that too 150!!!!!!!!!1.
jsut imagine wat wud have happened if someone ahead of u had stopped .
Old 3rd January 2005, 19:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
seems like both of u were on Mission Self-destruction.
doing 100+ in the rain is an absolute foolishness.
and that too 150!!!!!!!!!1.
jsut imagine wat wud have happened if someone ahead of u had stopped .
Then I would fly over him like the movie tarzan..
Old 3rd January 2005, 19:52   #7
BHPian

Yes man... 1.6 overtaking 1.1 is not a big deal. Even if its a 800 dont race with it if its being driven by a maniac driver.
corsa@180??? How long it took u to reach this speed? Have tried it on some straight roads. Never managed anywhere near this range. Engine noice was not that comfortable beyond 140. As others said, check ur spedo. Whats ur tyre size???
Old 3rd January 2005, 19:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I would fly over him like the movie tarzan
For that, you'll have to get your car modified by DC. Only he is capable of building an Aero-car. Hahaha

Just ask him to fit a rear spioler, upside down. that should work. Lol

Shan2nu
Old 3rd January 2005, 19:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
For that, you'll have to get your car modified by DC. Only he is capable of building an Aero-car. Hahaha

Just ask him to fit a rear spioler, upside down. that should work. Lol

Shan2nu
or turn the exhaust down towards th ground with the force the car will jump up... what say??car would be 'air lifted'
Old 3rd January 2005, 19:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Yes man... 1.6 overtaking 1.1 is not a big deal. Even if its a 800 dont race with it if its being driven by a maniac driver.
corsa@180??? How long it took u to reach this speed? Have tried it on some straight roads. Never managed anywhere near this range. Engine noice was not that comfortable beyond 140. As others said, check ur spedo. Whats ur tyre size???
I have taken the car upto 185.. I have 13 inch tyres. 175/70/r13 Pirelli P44. Car is totally good upto that speed. Engine noise was not comfortable at around 170.. but still good.. Car is almost 3 years old and no problems so far(touch wood). I know its not a big deal but look at the weight of my car with 5 people and luggage and taht car which is like 1/2 the weight. Its not like im proud of it or anything but just seeing it was a little exciting.. I dont know how long it took me to get to this speed but my speedo is fine cause I was doing around 70 at sea face and the cop stopped me saying i was doing round about that speed. So I guess it was fine.
Old 4th January 2005, 00:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was doing around 70 at sea face and the cop stopped me saying i was doing round about that speed. So I guess it was fine.
at such speeds, u wont have a big speedo error.

but as the speed increases, speedo error increases. (nitrous' s 1st law of speedometers)!!!!
Old 4th January 2005, 01:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

i managed a 165ks in mi 1.4 n i think it had some more juice left in it ...the car was very stable.. running stock tires .. only 8500 ks done ...thrs no dbout dat a 1.6 wont touch a 185 carrying 5 ppl ...
neways .. i have asked this b4 ...has ne here ever felt a slipstream ? how does one get inside the draft ? wot speeds ?
Old 4th January 2005, 11:41   #13
BHPian

Sorry i dont have any clue how W-R touches that speed. 150+ ???
Old 4th January 2005, 12:35   #14
bhp
BHPian

guys i have touched about a little over 155 in the wagonR with 4 pax in it and was running stock tyres on the expressway and in the 4th gear bcoz whenever i shfited into 5th the speed decreased . the car was wobbling like anything but it is capable of doing it . i dunno if it was any speedo error or something .
Old 4th January 2005, 12:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp
4th gear bcoz whenever i shfited into 5th the speed decreased . .
shifting to overdrive decreases engine speed by a big proportion..most of the top speed has to be pulled in 4th ..expect only 10kmph gain in 5th ...
most of the speed has to be built in the 3rd n thn transfered to 4th shift to OD whn the speedo needle dusnt rise at alll ignre the engine noise...dats how i think u can get high speeds in necar ..u'll ruin the car for sure ,dont wanna do it every day to work ..its all bout timing ur shifts n finding the gear which has more power n getting the max outta it ... i dont see a reason why a wagon R cant do 160 if the driver really knows how to get thr ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks