Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2007, 14:33   #1
BHPian

Which is your worst traffic spot?

Which is that place where traffic is so unthinkable in peak hours that you would get the shivers when you think of going there?

I think every big city will have a few notorious spots like this. And we all will have some such spots that we love to hate.

While I was in Chennai, it used to be Panagal Park and Doraisamy subway for me. Unfortunately Panagal Park was a favourite spot for my wife, and she doesn't drive, so it was on me to undertake the adventure whenever I couldn't win the argument.

And the specific spot within Panagal Park that gives me knock-knees is the corner after Prince Jewellery where the road curves and squeezes towards left, and then you can either continue on Usman road or turn right towards Mambalam.

While taking this left turn, if you happen to get squeezed by a bus on one side and an auto (most likely) on the other, you would know. I have drawn blood twice here, the yellow blood of the autos. And the wine red bumper of my car showed it to good contrast till I decided to go for a touch up.
Old 31st December 2007, 19:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

In bangy a few to name

Mekhri Circle to NandiDurga Road.
Mekhri Circle to Sankey Road towards Minsk Square.
MG Road.
Hosur Road and this road its in-definite. Traffic jams even at 11pm.
Old 31st December 2007, 20:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Many years ago,it used to be the Trinity Circle area in B'lore. I used to hate having to take that route on the way to my college.
The other spot is on Richmond Rd,just past Victoria layout.
Old 31st December 2007, 20:42   #4
BANNED

At Ernakulam

The 2 km stretch from Kaloor Bus stand to Kacheripady.

Starting from the bus stand, the buses insist on getting into the middle of road, and go off to the side at the bus stops.

THe worst point on this stretch is the North Overbridge. The approaches are not straight, and there are bus stops and other roads on both sides. The bridge itself is very, very steep, and according to folklore, if you can crawl up this bridge in peak hour stop and go traffic, you can drive in any road / country / stretch. Due to the steepness and narrowness of the bridge, cause ways exist on both sides of the bridge (which are not too steep) and are used by the bikes and ricks, and during peak time, small cars too. The buses from the both sides have to get into middle fo the road to enter the main bridge, and small vehicles have to go to the side for entering the causeway.

On the other side of bridge, there are bus stop (on both ends) and sides have to be switched again.

If you want to go to the north railway station from Kaloor side, you have to get down from the bridge and take u turn immediately to the left, and will get into the small vehicle traffic from the cause way. If you want to go to SRM road (where I live) from the city, again, you cut across the small vehicles' way on the kaloor side.

I almost always get butterflies in my stomach.
Old 1st January 2008, 12:18   #5

In Bangalore, BTM Layout road will take the cake. Earlier, jams on that road used to start only after 8:15 - 8:30 in the morning (when kids are off to school and moms/pops are driving on the way to office, supposedly). But off late, you can get stuck there at whatever time you choose. If you need to catch that morning flight, don't even think of hitting that snooze button...

The Elevated Highway will only make things worse, as there will be more cars waiting at the tight spots (Madiwala, Koramangala before IRR) now than before...
Old 1st January 2008, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

the worst traffic spot these days in Mumbai is the Western Highway,where the flyover is coming up at the domestic airport Vile parle - Santacruz,if i go from there i reach office fully Muddy and Dusty
Old 2nd January 2008, 07:40   #7
BHPian

In Hyderabad, this credit goes to Panjagutta to Begumpet, Koti to M.J.Market, Ameerpet to K'pally at times to name a few. Its better to switch your engines off and get a towing machine to do the job for you here. Or else, it will be a real fuel economy and driving test for you and your car/bike. Here you can be careful but not the other two wheelers and autos. So expect few knockings if you venture out either in peak hours.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

very true TrueDreamer.
I will add one more
Ameerpet from Hotel Hyderabad to Sarathi Studios.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

In Mumbai - these come to mind immediately -

1) Domestic airport junction (as Ramiee said)
2) Thakur Village Junction in Kandivili
3) The Juhu Galli road in Andheri west
4) The Irla road in Vile Parle west
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:44   #10
BHPian

In Bangalore...
its the KRPuram railway station junction on ORR, for me.
I only dare to drive after 11AM or 9PM on this particular stretch.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:52   #11
BHPian

In Surat.

at Sardar bridge-Gujarat gas circle..9:30AM to 11:30AM.It takes 15mins just to climb the bridge..add 15 minutes to reach the bridge..
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:12   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

To add to what N_C said, I find peddar road quite bad off late as well as Mahim (Both the roads leading from Shivaji Park to Bandra).
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:41   #13
BHPian

adding two more

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
In Hyderabad, this credit goes to Panjagutta to Begumpet, Koti to M.J.Market, Ameerpet to K'pally at times to name a few. Its better to switch your engines off and get a towing machine to do the job for you here. Or else, it will be a real fuel economy and driving test for you and your car/bike. Here you can be careful but not the other two wheelers and autos. So expect few knockings if you venture out either in peak hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
very true TrueDreamer.
I will add one more
Ameerpet from Hotel Hyderabad to Sarathi Studios.
I will add Somajiguda-Begumpet stretch and the one between Mehdipatnam and Tolichowki.
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

This stretch right outside my house.. From Ramada Palm grove all the way too Juhu Centaur. Always jammed. Its a terror on sundays and holidays.
Old 4th January 2008, 15:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quite a few in Delhi/NCR. Which one to name is the dilemma..

Most Viewed