Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2008, 21:33   #1
BHPian

Dont get mugged this year!!!

Hi,

The start of every new year brings in bad news from the roads... most of the accidents are attributed to the effect of alcohol. I thought i would put in my 2cents in the forum regarding the other form of danger on the road, which is present all year round - Getting mugged. IF you are from Bangalore you have already heard the sad things that happened to many over the last few years. No plan is fool proof but i can think of a few things to avoid getting mugged. Please add to the points and spread the word to all friends and family. I say that cos i have heard of horrific things happening to people. These are my personal views and i am sure you guys can add to the list.

1) As soon as you get into the car, make sure you lock the doors. Particularly at night. It is a simple thing to do but easily forgotten. remember you will take atleast 10 seconds to drive off from the spot and someone can easily get into the car, particularly the ones with central locking since all doors open up together

2) Again, if your car has central locking - Do the same when you switch off the engine at a traffic signal.. CLOSE THEM DOORS JACK!

3) Avoid driving with your windows down during the night... be particularly careful on roads which have large potholes and where you need to be dead slow.

4) If you see an accident victim on a lonely stretch of road, the best you can do is to call the cops or the local ambulance service. You dont want to get mugged when u stop to check. Unfortunate that there could be someone grieviously injured needing your help, but you gettng down will not save his life. SO CALL THE COPS OR THE AMBULANCE.

5) You might be a 7 foot, 350 pound monster, but dont think you cant be put down. Carry a pepper spray with you in the car, always. They are available at health and glow stores all over the country. It is better to be thought as a sissy than to be fed through a straw for the rest of your life. I hope the point has come across strongly...

6) Never offer lift or accept any lifts. There are stories of women asking for lifts at the middle of the night at certain places (OLD madras road in bangalore, for eg) ... These women might have only two things in mind. To bury your stiff or to bury you stiff. I dont think you will want to gamble here

7) When faced by people (even if it seems to be only one guy) trying to start a fight on a lonely stretch of road, please walk away from the fight.. ahem... drive away from it... the second half of point # 5 holds good here as well.

PLEASE ADD TO THESE POINTS AND, HOPEFULLY THIS THREAD HELPS ATLEAST ONE PERSON IN FUTURE.

Wishing everyone a Safe motoring this year

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2008 at 10:24. Reason: language edit.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

These things are being discussed time and agin here in this forum. But anyways, this will help quite some people just to refresh their minds. Good points to note tough.
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Keep a wheel spanner next to the handbrake as handy.U never know what might happen.Has helped me many days in many ways.
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'am keeping a stick (same size as the US Police uses). Its a very hard and is handy.
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:34   #5
BHPian

Thank you. Will follow the wheel spanner advice
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

Actually mace (pepper spray) is a much better idea than just short sticks. Problem with weapons is that, if you don't know how to use, it only gives psychological advantage. If the robbers are not deterred by your weapon, you'll get beaten up by your own weapon.

If you are confronted by robbers and if you fully intend to fight back, some things should be kept in mind.

1) Not everybody can fight, it is not the strength or physique or skills, it is the mindset. Even a physically weak person can give hell if she/he has the fighting spirit. Think about this very hard before making the first move. You can't stop once you start, it will make things worse.
2) Make sure your family is relatively safe inside the car. If they already have your kids/family/friend, it may be a good idea to just co-operate. No possession is worth a life.
3) Best weapon is your car itself, if you are still inside with your family, use it like a weapon to make a path and escape.
4) If you are outside the car having to do hand-to-hand, keep one thing in mind. You don't need to defeat them, or teach them a lesson, etc, leave that to film heroes. Fight just to create enough distraction to get back into the car and get the hell out of there. This is why pepper spray is most effective than most other weapons, it creates ample distraction.
5) Irrespective of your skill, you are most likely to get hurt, be ready for that. That's a reality about street fights.
6) Know your strengths, know your limitations, don't try to win, and don't lose.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey Samurai, that is good advice.
BTW,do you carry a sword, as in your avatar?
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good compilation here.

Adding to it, if you are on a deserted road and if you hear / feel that you have hit anything, keep driving till you reach a populated area to stop and check. Do not stop immediately on the lonely spot. There are cases where mugger's throw rocks at the vehicle and then attack when the occupants come out to check!
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
BTW,do you carry a sword, as in your avatar?
No, I basically have wooden bokkens, not steel katanas, I don't dare keep them in a house with 2 small kids. Unlike the real katana, bokkens don't provide deterrent even though they can be equally effective. I am wondering how soon I can purchase pepper spray.
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Recently a car guy was beaten to death in Delhi by to bikers. He was beaten with a baseball bat which was in his car.
After a minor accident, he got into an argument, got out of the car with the baseball bat.
The bike guys snatched his bat and beat his head to pulp.
So all you guys, unless you are martial art experts, do not count on a stick or a spanner.
Two people can easily snatch it out from your hands.
Even you manage to hit someone hard with a stick or something similar, that guy can retaliate, and if there are more opponents, the stick or spanner will be taken from you.

So when you hit with a weapon it should either create enough distraction so that you can run away. An example is pepper spray.
If its a non distraction weapon, it should be strong enough that after one hit the other person should not be able to get up. For example a Gun or a sword.
Another weapon can be a realistic looking gun. It may not be able to fire bullets, but will be good enough to scare people.

When I was in Bangalore I used to carry a huge knife in the car. but then I realized that if I hit someone with a knife and there are multiple opponents, its not going to be effective.
The knife can be used against me as I am not a martial arts expert. Moreover with the knife I have to come out of my car.
When I am in the car, I have a very powerful weapon. The car itself. In Bangalore, biker gangs used to loot people on lonely stretches, by colliding against car and trying to stop etc.,
If I refuse to come out of the car, and refuse to stop when couple of guys on bikes try to stop me, the 1 ton vs 200kg weight principle will see me emerging victorious.
So out went the knife.

So if you really want to know how to be safe on the highway, you should know how to run away, or you should be sunny deol with "Dhai kilo ka haath"

"Ye haath jam uthta hai, to admi uthta nahin uth jata hai"
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:08   #11
Team-BHP Support

knife/ weapons in your car.

try explaining that to the cop who finds it during some routine patrolling.
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:30   #12
Team-BHP Support

That was part of the reason of getting rid of the knife. There is a law which says that the maximum length of a weapon without license(sword/knife) is 5".
Don't remember the exact length though.
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Man, I am glad I am not in B'lore. Though, it might not be long before this hits neighbouring Chennai too.

Nice points, Samurai. Need to check out that pepper spray thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
it is not the strength or physique or skills, it is the mindset. Even a physically weak person can give hell if she/he has the fighting spirit
Yep, as is said, "It is not the size of the dog in the fight that matters; but the size of the fight in the dog".
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Six Inches.
A knife is defined as a strip of metal which is sharpened on both sides.
common kitchen knives are sharp on only one side.

most famous knife would be a Rampuri.

better than a pepper spray. get a spray of any pain reliver.
That also causes a lot of burn esp if used on the face and is quite easy to explain to anyone.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd January 2008 at 16:50.
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:51   #15
BHPian

No spanners and rodsplease

As many have counter argued, I suggest that you do not carry anything in the car like spanners and rods cos they may and will be used against you. let us say they have blocked your path with a couple of 2 wheelers, A pepper spray can solve a few problems for you. You dont need to get out of the car.. just put your hand out and spray one of them .. and if the situation permits, threaten the other idiot(s) that this stuff blinds people for life...

but before you take any action, please remember that there is no turning back. you cant be singing "we dint start the fire" after you take any offensive action, including verbal assaults.. like i said before, let better sense prevail and sometimes, it is better to lose your money, car and the phone than ...

i'm no master on the subject but i 've been in ugly situations before and life has taught me a lesson or two, which i am actually glad about

Most Viewed