Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 15:59   #181
BHPian

Re: Will ya stop that!! Passenger habits that you hate!

wow! quite a list of "Will-ya-stop-that" things!

I must say I agree with a lot of the things listed here. My list would be:
1. Touching my sound system and
a. Changing the song - My car, MY SONG!
b. Changing the sound settings - "Son, the bass is too much" or "The back seat is thumpping too much" - Bloody! I have set it to sound best from WHERE I SIT! i.e the DRIVER!
2. Smoking in my car - I smoke, but NEVER in my car.
3. Eating inside my car - GOD! I HATE this.
4. Sudden change of plans - "Dude, take this right!" especially when I'm currently in the left most lane and vice-versa!
5. Back seat driving - It's ok when they say things like, "careful, there is avehicle oncoming" or etc. I hate it when they scream or suddenly freak out, "AAAHH" moments... GRRRR....
6. People who keep bugging me to let them drive my car. My car is my temple. If I want you to drive, you would have already been driving!
7. Those who slam my door shut. Jeez!
8. People who load the parcel tray with luggage!
9. People who adjust the mirrors to do make-up! Blah!

and a whole list of other annoying habits!
Old 17th June 2014, 18:40   #182
BHPian

Wonderful thread!!

I can definitely relate to almost all the rants here on this thread.......well, almost.
I am sorry but a couple of them - I find them quite unacceptable, like the ones highlighted below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I absolutely hate it when passengers in the car change the audio settings. Even the volume knob! When you are in my car, you better listen to what I want to listen to, at the volume I want to listen to and at the equalizer settings that I want. Unless, of course, I have given you explicit permission to play what you like. And in that case, don't keep asking me to change the songs or the volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
b. Changing the sound settings - "Son, the bass is too much" or "The back seat is thumpping too much" - Bloody! I have set it to sound best from WHERE I SIT! i.e the DRIVER!
This is not loving your car and trying to keep it clean or the way you want it - this is purely being inconsiderate to your passengers!!
This is ridiculous - are you guys telling me that you dont mind being inconsiderate to the comfort of your fellow passengers and you dont mind inconveniencing them? Afterall they are asking for volume to be reduced!

In fact, if I was ever in a situation where you refused to reduce volume, I would boycott travelling with you as a passenger.
Basically, you would be the despised one and not fellow passengers, as mostly pointed out on this thread.

Very unbecoming of a Team-BHPian!! What a pity.

Last edited by Kaumad : 17th June 2014 at 18:44.
Old 17th June 2014, 19:02   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
In fact, if I was ever in a situation where you refused to reduce volume, I would boycott travelling with you as a passenger.
That would make two people very happy

By the way, I *might* *just might* consider your request to turn the volume down, if I happen to be in a generous mood. But if you decide to take it upon yourself to reduce the volume without asking me first, you might find yourself walking to your destination or thumbing another ride Of course, your tendency to despise me for throwing you out would be perfectly justified. It just would not matter to me.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 20:22   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
Wonderful thread!!

This is not loving your car and trying to keep it clean or the way you want it - this is purely being inconsiderate to your passengers!!
This is ridiculous - are you guys telling me that you dont mind being inconsiderate to the comfort of your fellow passengers and you dont mind inconveniencing them? Afterall they are asking for volume to be reduced!

Basically, you would be the despised one and not fellow passengers, as mostly pointed out on this thread.

Very unbecoming of a Team-BHPian!! What a pity.
Hey,

My apologies, I might not have been clear. What I meant was that I do not like people adjusting the equalizer settings and lowering the bass. I have absolutely no issues in reducing the volume. I do not like it when they mess with the settings and I have to do them all over again. Most of the time, I am alone in my travels, so I find it reasonable not to change the equalizer settings just for that drive.

Last edited by DDiSLover : 17th June 2014 at 20:24.
Old 17th June 2014, 20:46   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

My apologies, I might not have been clear. What I meant was that I do not like people adjusting the equalizer settings and lowering the bass. I have absolutely no issues in reducing the volume. I do not like it when they mess with the settings and I have to do them all over again. Most of the time, I am alone in my travels, so I find it reasonable not to change the equalizer settings just for that drive.
Perfectly agree with you. Reducing volume isn't a problem if someone has to attend a phone call or an issue with loud music, changing equalizer settings or bass, SW settings is a strict no-no unless being asked to do so generously for experimentation.
OneToughRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 21:30   #186
BHPian

Quote:
wow! quite a list of "Will-ya-stop-that" things!

I must say I agree with a lot of the things listed here. My list would be:
1. Touching my sound system and
a. Changing the song - My car, MY SONG!
2. Smoking in my car - I smoke, but NEVER in my car.
3. Eating inside my car - GOD! I HATE this.
4. Sudden change of plans - "Dude, take this right!" especially when I'm currently in the left most lane and vice-versa!
5. Back seat driving - It's ok when they say things like, "careful, there is avehicle oncoming" or etc. I hate it when they scream or suddenly freak out, "AAAHH" moments... GRRRR....
6. People who keep bugging me to let them drive my car. My car is my temple. If I want you to drive, you would have already been driving!
7. Those who slam my door shut. Jeez!
8. People who load the parcel tray with luggage!
9. People who adjust the mirrors to do make-up! Blah!

and a whole list of other annoying habits!
Allow me to add to this list:
10. People banging my doors (or boot lid) shut.
11. Passengers opening the door without looking. A friend almost hit a motorcyclist while opening the car door! Another friend just opened the door wide open and hit a pedestrian (no injuries luckily!). A simple look to see if the coast is clear wouldn't hurt that much..
12. Friends "borrowing" my car without asking me first, especially when they are drunk to the bone. By principle, I do not drive after drinking, even if it was only a pint of beer. What gives another person to drive my car after having a drink?
13. People who are driving my car not caring for it like I do. For instance, parking in an open area when there is a designated covered parking available for me, not turning the A/C off before starting/stopping my car, etc

The list goes on!

On a side note, I would agree to a person moving the mirror to put on makeup or changing the song, or adjusting the volume etc if they would just ask me first.
Some of the people I have had to drive around don't even ask or explain their actions. It pisses me off when they act as if they have the authority to do whatever they want in my car. Most of these people are those for whom I'm doing a favor by dropping them. Bah!

P.S - I apologize for all the CAPS letters in my earlier post. My emotions just got the better of me!

Last edited by DDiSLover : 17th June 2014 at 21:32.
Old 17th June 2014, 22:29   #187
BHPian

Quote:
11. Passengers opening the door without looking. A friend almost hit a motorcyclist while opening the car door! Another friend just opened the door wide open and hit a pedestrian (no injuries luckily!). A simple look to see if the coast is clear wouldn't hurt that much..
13. People who are driving my car not caring for it like I do. For instance, parking in an open area when there is a designated covered parking available for me, not turning the A/C off before starting/stopping my car, etc
I think for these two points, responsibility lies with the driver or the owner himself. For instance if I've to drop someone, I will make sure the doors are locked till the car come stationary, doors wouldn't unlock or rather I wouldn't allow passengers to manually unlock and get out till they are not directed to do so.

For trusted people taking car for a joyride, you may give instructions to them and it shouldn't be an issue!
Old 18th June 2014, 02:11   #188
BHPian

Few things that I hate!
1. Messing with my audio system equalizer.
2. Telling me to turn on highbeam.
3. Giving me a lecture on how to "drive" to get more mileage.
4. Eating in my car like a 2 year old kid.
5. Legs on dash.
6. playing with power window switch.
7. Closing doors like it's an ambassador.
8. Not strapping seatbelts when I ask them to and inturn, giving me lectures on why they are not needed in the city.
9. When people are hellbent on proving that x-y-z things in their cars are better than mine.
10. not dusting their feet before getting in.
Old 18th June 2014, 12:35   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
I think for these two points, responsibility lies with the driver or the owner himself. For instance if I've to drop someone, I will make sure the doors are locked till the car come stationary, doors wouldn't unlock or rather I wouldn't allow passengers to manually unlock and get out till they are not directed to do so.

For trusted people taking car for a joyride, you may give instructions to them and it shouldn't be an issue!
True!

Haven't really been able to enforce the locked doors rule with my friends and family though.

And yes, I have had a stern talk with my friends on taking my car for joyrides and they haven't taken it since.
Still, it was pretty annoying when they used to do so.
Old 18th June 2014, 14:40   #190
Team-BHP Support

1. No eating in the car, ever. The crumbs attract pests and causes a stink too. I'll happily stop at a good place to grab a bite.
2. No smoking or drinking. No exceptions.
3. Dirty feet. Can't help much, but I remind everyone while they're getting in. I don't tolerate people putting their feet up on the dash. It's not your sofa.
4. Seat belts. Car won't move until everyone is belted in. Those who don't want to can get another transport option.
5. No rolling windows down in city traffic. The air is un-breathable and I'm left with dirty interiors to clean too.
6. No sitting on the car's hood when at a rest-stop. The studs on denim pockets leave nasty scratches when people slide off.
7. Nobody gets to drive my car. I simply hate sharing the driving seat with anyone, except family (not even them unless I'm unwilling/unable to drive)

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th June 2014 at 14:44.
Old 19th June 2014, 22:49   #191
BHPian

Hi there. Whether we accept it or not, driving a car is a potentially dangerous activity and one needs to ensure the safety of lives and property. When I drive, general conversation from fellow passenger is welcome but I do not want to be drawn into any serious discussions. And I do not like when people try to draw my attention away from driving.
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 04:37   #192
BHPian

Whilst I completely agree with most of the irritants mentioned here, my pet hatred always seem to be colleagues / friends talking on their mobile phones for the entire or the majority of the journey duration , I would understand if it pertains to an important call or a short call , but to just go on about personal and mundane stuff drives me mad. Makes me feel like a chauffeur whilst I'm helping them by offering a lift .
vickzkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:53   #193
BHPian

Let me do the opposite thing of whats happening here. I love my brother in the passenger seat in the front. He is almost like the most helpful driving assistant.He takes the extra effort to guide me when I can't see because its a blind spot. Everybody else is a pain or of no use. Sorry people !!
Blue_V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 20:44   #194
Senior - BHPian

Some of my gripes :

1] The backseat leaners. Rear passengers who sit right in the middle of the backseat even if there are no other passengers, one elbow on each 'shoulder' of the front seats who keep bumping into my seat whenever I break or accelerate and also completely block my RVM.

2] The honkers. Front passengers who feel it is their duty to get pissed off at other motorist or the watchman who isnt opening the gate fast enough on my behalf. They feel compelled to lean over and forcefully depress the horn for 5 full seconds. Luckily I know who these people are in my circle and my reflexes are fast enough to swat their hands away when it starts crossing the AC vent border, reaching towards the wheel.

4] Monsoon AC whiners : Why do you need to turn on the AC ? Its the rainy season, the weather is cool !! Because if I dont the windows will fog up and I will end up crashing the car and killing us both.

5] ORVM stalk fiddling time wasters : Someone has fiddled with my passenger side ORVM and its not in the position I want. I may not have noticed immediately as soon as I start moving. I stop on the side or at a long signal, unbuckle my seatbelt and start stretching towards the stalk.
Why u want to stretch all the way I will do it !!
The mirror is adjusted 30 times and they fail to adjust it in the direction I am saying. Finally I have to do it myself after thanking them for wasting 2 minutes of my life.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 15:58   #195
Senior - BHPian

Pretty new here, and found this interesting topic. Looks like most of the "pain points" have got covered. From my side:-

Good part:
1. I have a Mahindra Quanto - so generally allow a bit of banging the doors shut etc.
2. Liberal about the music being played. I generally pass the remote control to the person who wants to check for any specific channels or songs. People are also allowed to bring their own CDs, USB devices etc.

Bad Part:
1. Joining me, please land up on time. People who don't respect other's time generally riles me up any time. The irritation grows up, especially when the people who made me wait comes with poor jokes justifying the delay, or reminding me that it should be expected (Indian stretchable time and all that non-sense). Next time such folks will find it tough to get a seat in my vehicle.
2. Asking me to drive fast, or violate any specific Motor vehicle rule to make up the lost time. Reminding me of the futility of believing in the rule of law. Comparing with other "better drivers" who drive fast and break rules.
3. Coming up with a route plan which is *very much* in favour to a specific individual (when travelling in groups).
4. Requests for abrupt detours, stoppages. Especially in cities where parking is a problem.
5. Too much usage of mobile phone by the co-passengers (emergency uses exempted). At times I have told folks to stop using their mobile phones. Or I keep mum for the rest of the journey. When there is only one co-passenger he/she generally gets the message.
6. One vehicle going at higher speeds especially when going as a convoy. I deliberately reduce my speed at this point. And when the usual "where are you call" comes in, I ask them to go ahead. In many cases these convoys did not serve much purpose (other than the whole gang having food at the same point), so now I clearly say that I prefer my car NOT to be part of the "indisciplined" convoy. People who are in a hurry have all the rights to leaver early, or over speed etc.
7. Littering the vehicle. Please take back all the water bottles, empty covers etc. when you get down of the vehicle. And NEVER use the magazine holder/map holder (behind the front seats) to hold all this trash.

Mod Note : Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving, and any mention of alcohol. Hence, posts containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) will NOT be permitted.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th June 2014 at 12:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks