Team-BHP - Will ya stop that!! Passenger habits that you hate!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Will ya stop that!! Passenger habits that you hate! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/34194-will-ya-stop-passenger-habits-you-hate-14.html)

Superb thread I just came across!

Reminded me of a colleague who used to travel in my car about 7-8 years back when I bought my first car Hyundai Xantro XING XO. He and I used to go together on office assignments sometimes on my car and sometimes on his (he had a maruti 800). He had a peculiar irritating habbit of playing with the power window on his side. He used to fiddle it by opening and closing it very frequently and fastly. Observed him for three four rides and then I started locking it. What was even more audacious that he used to find out excuses and tell me to open the window lock. Open the window for some reason and then start playing with it. Ultimately I had to be open enough and ask him not to do it as it was really really irritating plus my window could get damaged. Ultimately its a machine in there right!

I really wish such people could understand your reactions and mould themselves accordingly. No body wants to sound rude but if you force one to be then its your choice buddy.

Another thing that I hate about some people (specially few aunties and aged ladies) that even though they don't even know how to drive, they will make sure they give you plenty of suggestions on How to drive when they are with you !!!

1. Talking to the driver : Especially on that crucial moments, its just irritating.
2. Stop now : Immediately after seeing the billboard of the shop they wanted to go they shout this. If you ignore and drive ahead and tell them, you will take and U turn and come back, they start giving you sunday sermons on 'being alert'.
3. Smokers : Not of my concerns because, I don't make someone a friend, if he has a friend of friend of friend who's friend is a smoker.lol:
4. Cry for Knee room : I am 6'1", someone who has to sit behind me, even if the travel is for 10 mins, start telling tall boy jokes, something like this : "Hey why don't you remove the driver seat and sit here and drive?". My mind voice : "Why don't you walk home?"
5. Girls and Make-up - I loose my patience completely here, when you see a lip-stick grease or glitters in you upholstery. :Frustrati

Some of the things I hear and hate most:-
1) Giving advice that i should have bought another "better" car. Yeah, I've heard that a lot
2) Behaving as if its their car. The rights are reserved for my wife, kid and parents. None else.
3) Telling me how to drive.
4) Adjusting the rear view mirror for their hair-do
5) Loading up the car with luggage
6) Asking me if I don't have better selection of music
7) Asking me whether I can drive well
8) Looking for faults with my car. I know them better than all

1. Not fastening seat belts - Normally I tell gruesome stories of how people die while not wearing seatbelts. Most of the times people comply.

2. Don't fiddle with A/C or audio settings - ask me how you would like it and if required I shall make the arrangements.

3. Don't wipe the mist on the windshield with your palm - it leaves oily residue, and there's a demister setting on the A/C for a reason!

4. Don't write ABCD, 1234, your name etc if the window panes are misted - for the exact same reason as stated above

5. No smoking in my car - period.

6. Don't fiddle with the sunroof - you do not know how the buttons on that thing work unless you got the exact same model of car as mine, chances of which are very less, or else I would know.

7. Don't shut the doors like this is an amby taxi - I do not hesitate to tell this VERY strictly even to my near and dear ones.

8. Lastly - how I could have got a much bigger car for the same amount I paid for my i10 Asta - I know very well why and how much I paid for my car - so thank you for keeping your opinions to yourself.

Apart from all the regulars - constant 'dings' & 'dangs' due to those whatsapp pings!

I can tolerate many passenger habits listed here to an extent, but the one thing that puts me off instantly is people banging doors every time they get in/out. I have been maintaining my dzire to avoid rattling doors but many of my extended family members still shut the doors as if they are using Ambassadors.:Frustrati

The points that really annoy me...
1) Kids fidgeting with the stuff in the seat back pocket and dropping odds and ends.
2) Kids kicking and hitting my seat - a series of jabs which I can do without - thank you.
3) siginificant other who will keep piling on stuff on the center console, so that it overflows on to my lap!
4) why can't people take bio-breaks at the same time? If we make a rest stop, two people go, the other three say they don't have to go. Half-an-hour later in the middle of nowhere, one of the three suddenly has the urge to go. And shortly after when you think nothing's going to stop the cruise now, the remaining two have to go!!!
5) Kids throwing really loud tantrums from the rear seats

Quote:

Originally Posted by joybhowmik (Post 3472883)
4) why can't people take bio-breaks at the same time? If we make a rest stop, two people go, the other three say they don't have to go. Half-an-hour later in the middle of nowhere, one of the three suddenly has the urge to go. And shortly after when you think nothing's going to stop the cruise now, the remaining two have to go!!!

:) Not to deviate this from the topic. I have seen this in many long distance buses originating from Kerala *. Mostly the habit of men. The bus would be going on in full speed, when one gentleman finally gets up and decides to ask for a bio-break. The bus driver obliges. Within no-time, 80% of the male population in the bus also is there out on the road for the bio-break. Really never understood on what prompted these people to just sit quiet.

On the car, with a small baby for me and my immediate family the routes and bio-break points are now pretty much defined. And a buffer time of an hour added for the baby's needs. Adult members get one bio-break at the same place where we have our meals (be it break fast or lunch).

*Disclaimer: I am a Keralite myself.

I've held off posting here for a long time, but what the heck, here goes.

Nothing can bother me more while driving than a bad passenger. These are some things that send me into a tizzy:

-Passengers who start adjusting things like the ac, and the music playing and the volume the moment they get in.
-People who slam doors:Shockked: Its not a taxi for gods sake!
-People who start folding their legs and sit, or even rest a foot against the dash.
-People who dare bring food into my car:Frustrati. I occasionally allow a coffee or a soft drink, but generally water is fine.
-Not necessarily passengers, but people who lean against my car especially if wearing jeans with rivets. Even worse people who try and sit on the hood.
-I can't have 4 passengers in my car. Not only does it make the car much slower, but depending on the car I have to really watch out for speedbreakers. Not to mention the extra noise so many people make.
-Passengers with dirty shoes who cant keep them on the mat, and have to put their shoes all over the door sills, etc.
-Passengers who keep commenting or reacting to my driving, telling me what to do, etc.
-People who do not know where they want to go i.e do not know the directions to their destination (sometimes their own house), and waste time taking me on a darshan of their neighbourhood.
-Passengers who complain about me slowing down for bumps and bad roads, and driving carefully and comment how they don't need to slow down in their car. While I think in my head let them get 45 profile tyres then they'll know lol
-Passengers who make my car into their store room, they start removing numerous things from god knows where and place it all over the car. Needless to say about 10 minutes is wasted at the end of the journey with them just trying to find the aforementioned numerous things.
-People who say they want to drive my car. In my mind I'm doing a mental comparison of the condition of their car and mine and saying yeah right!
-People who say at the last second to take a left or right or stop.
-Passengers who open their doors without looking to see if traffic is coming, or whether there is a pavement the door can scrape.

I know I know its a long list, don't judge me.

Nice thread this one.
Apart from the usual complaints members have posted here one thing I find quite irritating is people putting up their feet on the seats or the dash.
Door slammers are one's who get my BP to shoot up. I've had some slam door shut with such intensity that the glass rattled. Please keep your show of strength for where it's required.

Nice thread. Here are some things that shoot up my bp.

1. Slamming the doors like it is a state transport bus.
2. Chatting away to glory on the mobile from start till end of the ride.
3. This one specially for my mom. Even if a person is crossing the street a km away she will shout in marathi - "Halu halu arey mela mela toh" which translates to "slow slow aah he is dead". And this is in high pitch. I now make sure she is in the rear seat even if she is the only passenger.
4. FIL - take left, take right, see there's space go on, everyone is doing it so lets ignore the traffic light and so on. Over time I have learnt to ignore all such suggestions.
5. Kids who keep on asking me questions like what is this knob for, what does this button do, how to operate the stereo and so on while I am driving in thick traffic.
6. Of course the famous one - they say take left when I am actually passing the turn itself. This in spite of me asking them to let me know well in advance.
7. Asking me to take the car to horrendously inaccessible places. Those familiar to Pune will know it when I say that I have taken my old Indica no less than the doors of Tulsi shop inside tulsibaug to collect a washing stand.
8. Showing me all and sundry objects on the road. Something like there is cow crossing, look look look a kid crossing, look out he is backing up.
9. Last but not the least shouting loudly (on something completely unrelated to the drive) to scare me out of my wits and make me lose my composure.

Although after driving in Pune for the last 8 years has made me realise that keeping one's mouth shut and mind composed works wonders for making the drive an enjoyable experience, sometimes the balance is lost due to such passengers.

1. Smoking.
2. Intruding into my driving space in any manner, including, as an example, pointing to places/people with hand gestures that come into my visual field.
3. Co-Passenger Driving. I'm sorry, but I decide, when to overtake, or when not to, when to let someone pass, where to stop or where not to, etc etc.
4. Speaking loudly. I can keep up a conversation as long as the decibels are kept in check.
5. Switching from my Driving Music to FM. I have zero tolerance for that RJ Chatter and Adverts.

That's my Top 5.

I have already added my list earlier in this thread, but this one is a serious issue that I have faced sometimes and I hope no one would dare to face!!lol:

In certain carpool sessions I encounter some great Chatur Ramalingams(Silencer - 3 Idiots). Especially when the car is full, they make use of this chance so that they never get caught. Ultimately, I had to literally open the Doors, Windows(illustrative) to let fresh air come in and no even that doesn't fix it. Ultimately the car has to be given a perfume wash!! :)

Great Compilation of driver annoyances. I can empathize with all of you on several of these points.

In addition to the points mentioned, these are a few irksome habits of friends & family that i've encountered.

1. The Tyre Kicker: After purchase of new tyres/apply tyre polish, invariably i run into an expert who can gauge the tyre just by kicking it and leave scruff marks for you to cherish his astuteness.

2. The bonnet strength testers:
a. Type - I : These cateegory of testers test how pliant your bonnet is. All they do is gently lower the bonnet back, and will all the strength they can muster give a mighty push to lock the bonnet back in place. This really tests how pliable your bonnet material is and how prone to deformities they are.

b. Type -II : Bonnet Crash testers: This breed of testers simply believe in gravity to do all their work for them. Drop the bonnet from an ungodly height and see what happens. Good method to test the durability of the bonnet clamps/release levers.

3. Pest Controllers: You are driving, a fly suddenly gets trapped in your car, immediately all hell breaks loose and bedlam ensues till that unfortunate stowaway is plastered to your recently laundered fabric or pristine glass.

4. Interior Decorators: Typically this runs in the family, the better half goes shopping on our annual native place vacation break and comes back with loads of nick-knacks from Guruvayur. Invariably all those has to go in the car. So far i've collected several idols, nettipattom (not sure what its called in English), decorative howdahs, frilly umbrellas and the works.

Also how can i forget all those Barbie, Doraemon, Snoopy and whatchamacallit cartoon sticker thingys pasted all over the dash and music system?

5. Hide-n-Seek: This breed is the most nasty of the entire lot, they have the knack of hiding toffee wrappers, empty wafer covers even banana peels in the several nook and corners of your vehicle. I really dread when i clean the car after a long trip, not knowing what i'll find where and in what condition.

Think this might have already been posted, but here goes one more category:

Navigators

Usually displayed by females, but sometimes males who got something mixed up in their hormones.

"Turn here!"
"Where?"
"Yeah, right here!"
"Oh hell, I mean left or right??"

Whenever there's a passenger navigating, I make it a point to be rude and interrupt their conversation as soon as I am approaching more than one road ahead, or any trees or temples or big showrooms or anything else that looks like the landmark near their house.

And I tell them: "We are directionallu challenged lot, us drivers. We only understand 'right', 'left' and 'about turn'."