Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 01:58   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

I hate passengers who adjust the left side mirror for their visiblity,i really appreciate the person who came with the idea of electrically adjustable mirrors and placing controls on driver side.
Old 16th January 2008, 02:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
My irritants,
4) Sound system jerking: Friends trying to prove they have the most credible sound system adjustment tactics.....result?.....my 25k sound system sounds like a rickshawwalla playing ALTAF RAJA!!!
Thats funny!! I can't imagine your plight,when you have 'Hum tho tehere pardesi' blaring in the car!

I'd probably jump out of the car and escape..
Old 16th January 2008, 12:23   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a GF who was, in many respects, a better driver than me, I always felt 100% safe when she was driving --- but she always used to check her hair and make up using the RVM before setting off.

No skin off my nose (or cream on it!), it was her car and her face --- but why?

I guess there should be a separate thread for the habits of drivers that annoy us when we are the pedestrians...
Old 16th January 2008, 14:03   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
1. It's very sunny/hot outside, Let's Take The Car (LTTC).

2. If not 1., then it's very cold outside, LTTC.

3. If not 1 or 2, hmm it's cloudy, might rain, LTTC.

4. Too much pollution, LTTC.

5. And the ultimate one, "You no longer Love/Care!" By now you give up..OK baba, LTTC!

Why is it that I jump to 5 Directly and NO 1 choice for me. I have seen many of my recently married friends doing 5 at First only.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:08   #65
BHPian

I have driven the car with A/C on for some distance only to realize that someone has a window open at the back seat! How about that?
Old 16th January 2008, 14:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Knees

I have a couple of friends that just can not seem to keep their knees away from my shifter. I do not like grabbing for a gear and shifting a knee cap instead. If it happens to be a girl of the feminine persuasion then it is absolutely no problem at all.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2008, 14:52   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

...except for her, of course!
Old 16th January 2008, 16:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

I need to add one more point here. Its my brother turning off the AC and opening the windows in the most polluted part of roads. I hate it when he do it. He keeps saying the sound of the blower is unbearable.
Old 16th January 2008, 17:15   #69
BHPian

Irritating habits per person

Mom,
- Gets into the car from left back door only, Thinks the right leg should be put in first... its auspicious..No wonder US is so advanced. the drivers their enters with right leg
- Does not like the windows open even 1%, she will get cold, she doesnot allow A/C to be switched ON... again Cold/Fever... So its air proof..
- Does not like ICE to be switched ON .. it hurts.
- If stuck in traffic, will constantly nag the driver (Me), doesnot mind exiting and catching a BMTC
- Keeps reminding me that buying a car is a waste of money and it was easier going in a bus

WIFE
- Following the Mother-InLaw, No Windows, No AC fortunately likes ICE
- She doesnt end complaining on how she was duped because of marrying me
- Likes to start anthyakashri.. ends up in a fight,
- She likes backseat on average and bad mood
- She likes banging my daughter .. I will tell later what my daughter does
- Her hand reaches my mouth from back with all short eats picked up on road, even after i advise that iam driving

Daughter (4 yrs)
- if in front seat, pulls the glove box, slams it WHAM!!!
- Play with the volume knob on the HU... tear it basically
- push all button she can on the dash... Up Down window etc
- leave all trash..popcorn. icecream cup, plates, slippers etc in the car
- when in back ... Close my eyes from behind, pull ears, etc .. (Do RTO have rules for this)
- switch on and off the roof lights

SON.. 9 months
- loves cars bikes right now... wants to play with the gear lever in a running car
- pulls the steering wheel
- shift into my lap when driving
- ofcourse pee everywhere in the car

Big Brother
- No problem, except when mother is there, they have a nice fight.. my mother fights with everybody on earth
- He says my car is fine, only i have a problem... .cant discuss car related problems.. he owns a swift.. he loves music.. fantastic ICE he has ..

General habits are
- No one knows which place to go in city.. so we drive up till end of the street ... switch off the engine.. discuss for 15 mins then start driving in an undecided route
- when everybody is ready, I start-off cleaning windshield, then front of car, okay then back, then top.. So u see... its not acceptable for people sitting inside.. They start off complaining

fortunately we dont get too many guests.. but even if i did.. I make sure they know who is the boss....
Old 16th January 2008, 17:58   #70
BHPian

1. NO SMOKING - Period. I am a smoker myself and this rule applies to me as well.

2. People getting in with muddy/dirty footwear. I insist on well known people - family mainly - that they tap their feet to gether after sitting in the car, with the legs still outside. Cant do it with some people though.

3. People who sing along with the ICE - especially out of tune.

4. People who ask me some questions and expect answers, when I am planning a nice overtake manoeuvre.

5. My kids trying to feed me chips and titbits when I am driving.

Ceers,
Rajan
Old 16th January 2008, 18:27   #71
BHPian

Here are my worst ones.

1) Most of you guys know that I have some gauges on the dash. Tacho, Vacuum, fuel pressure and air fuel ratio. When people who don't understand anything about cars get in my car, they start saying things like "yeh sab kya timepass lagaya hai" "yeh sab se kya speed badhta hai?" Some people point at the tacho and say "issey power badhta hai kya?" "Yeh kya silencer se boom boom awaaj aata hai? They try to reason saying "yeh sab lagane se gaadi Ferrari nahi banega"
The moment I hear this, I just stop the car and ask that person to get out, catch a cab and go home. Believe me, I've done this quite a few times.

2) People who refuse to wear seatbelts saying "Idhar koi nahi pakdega" These fools will never understand that it's for their own safety, not for some traffic cop. I refuse to start the car until and unless that person is not belted.

3) Backseat drivers. People who keep nagging, saying things like "slow kar, bhaga mat." etc. For these people, I downshift and floor the gas when they start nagging like that. Either they ask me to stop the car and get down or they shut their mouths and sit.
Old 16th January 2008, 19:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire View Post
Irritating habits per person

Mom,
- Gets into the car from left back door only, Thinks the right leg should be put in first... its auspicious..No wonder US is so advanced. the drivers their enters with right leg
- Does not like the windows open even 1%, she will get cold, she doesnot allow A/C to be switched ON... again Cold/Fever... So its air proof..
- Does not like ICE to be switched ON .. it hurts.
- If stuck in traffic, will constantly nag the driver (Me), doesnot mind exiting and catching a BMTC
- Keeps reminding me that buying a car is a waste of money and it was easier going in a bus
generation gap, never sems to end. high time you accept it as your fate (I did).

Quote:
- Likes to start anthyakashri.. ends up in a fight,
hmm, so what starts with 'fight'?

Quote:
Daughter (4 yrs)
- if in front seat, pulls the glove box, slams it WHAM!!!
- Play with the volume knob on the HU... tear it basically
- push all button she can on the dash... Up Down window etc
- leave all trash..popcorn. icecream cup, plates, slippers etc in the car
- when in back ... Close my eyes from behind, pull ears, etc .. (Do RTO have rules for this)
- switch on and off the roof lights

SON.. 9 months
- loves cars bikes right now... wants to play with the gear lever in a running car
- pulls the steering wheel
- shift into my lap when driving
- ofcourse pee everywhere in the car
seriously, invest in a car seat. you already see how annoying and dangerous it is.

Quote:
- when everybody is ready, I start-off cleaning windshield, then front of car, okay then back, then top.. So u see... its not acceptable for people sitting inside.. They start off complaining

fortunately we dont get too many guests.. but even if i did.. I make sure they know who is the boss
now, we didn't ask about your annoying habits, didn we?
Old 16th January 2008, 21:02   #73
BHPian

Back Seat driving tops the list for me -- even after me driving for the last 18 years my dad never stops to advice on how i should watch out for the cyclist and the motorist even though the guy is like half a KM away.

Couple of other things that annoys me are

*People treating the roads as dust bins and dropping trash on the road sitting in the car - more often than not these are the guys who complain about our dirty roads and cities

*On long drives your fellow passengers asking you to stop the car every now and then for some reason or the other - Somebody wanting to answer nature's call, somebody wanting to click pictures etc.
Old 16th January 2008, 21:41   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you hold it there a minute... I just need the loo... that tree will do fine.

Yep! It's usually me, that one!
Old 16th January 2008, 21:55   #75
Team-BHP Support

great

ajmat - this is a very interesting thread. Loving it!

A lot of us BHPians share so many similar passenger woes.

Few posts did stand out in the crowd, though.

Two of them below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
More so if front passenger falls asleep and rests his/her head on the gear knob !!
How is that possible? - Unless, you have a column shifter - or: your front passengers are either very tiny, or children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire View Post
Irritating habits per person.
General habits are
- No one knows which place to go in city.. so we drive up till end of the street ... switch off the engine.. discuss for 15 mins then start driving in an undecided route

fortunately we dont get too many guests.. but even if i did.. I make sure they know who is the boss....
I feel for you four_tire, I really do.

Most Viewed