Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:35   #1
BHPian

Skodas = bad drivers?

Before I get totally flamed, let me say I mean no offence to any other TeamBHPian here, and I am not usually fond of generalizations. Plus, there are probably several very responsible Skoda owners here, and I in no way want to disrespect them.

That said, I have been driving about 50km+ every day for the last 3 years. One thing that has stood out in my experience is that the average Skoda (esp. Octavia) drivers drive really bad! They just edge themselves between cars, overtake from the left and force themselves on other drivers.

All I want to ask is whether there is something inherent in the Octavia that makes people drive rashly? I have never driven one, but is there something peculiar about their acceleration or handling or sideview mirror visibility (or perhaps even target market) that suggests such a trend?
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:40   #2
BANNED

He have had a thread for scorpio and now for Skoda . At this rate we will have a thread for every car. Some one entrepreneurial can start a thread on Nano and believe me that will hit the max posts in no time .

IMHO, the most dangerous vehicle on Indian roads is the humble Indicab, an old age diesel and takes ages to hit 100, but bully everybody on road.
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:47   #3
BHPian

I dont think this is true buddy.. firstly most of the skodas are bought by middle aged guys and i dont think they will be doing an sporty or rash driving.

I have not seen anything unusual with the skodas but ofcourse on the highway they can easily cruise at high speeds..

i think u must have encountered a few petrol skodas or some rich kids having fun with with their cars. But i dont think skodas in general are driven rashly.
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats because Skoda's also appeal greatly to people who pronounce it proudly as Sakoda.
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats because Skoda's also appeal greatly to people who pronounce it proudly as Sakoda.
Sakoda?? Heheh..i haven't heard that before..

I'd be surprised to find someone drive an Octavia around in a rash manner.If they end up hitting someone or damaging their car,it'll be quite an expense to fix things.
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Now whats this? Never seen any Skoda being driven rashly. I try to keep my Sakoda as safe as possible.
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I'd be surprised to find someone drive an Octavia around in a rash manner.If they end up hitting someone or damaging their car,it'll be quite an expense to fix things.
On separate occasions, I seen various Mercs, BMWs, Lexuses and even some relatively rare Jaguars being driven like a rickshaw driver would on the roads of Mumbai.
Octavias? Oh yes, plenty of them are driven rashly.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2008 at 08:48.
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Haven't felt this in Kolkata. In fact most Skoda's I encounter are driven sedately - a large percentage apparently by chauffeurs.
Indicas, Sumos and Amby taxis are the biggest offenders here by far.
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:03   #9
BHPian

Have not seen rashly driven Skodas in Pune. They are intimidating on the highways though, since they cruise at very high speeds, more often than not you see them whizzing past you!
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:47   #10
BHPian

Never seen skoda being driven rashly, regularly on roads, heck never seen a Skoda regularly on roads!

All said.. I firmly believe, a car has seldom to do with rash driving; it's the person behind wheel!
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Skodas are okk.. U can give them way out of sympathy.. considering their maintenance bills .. I have a thing or two to say about Innovas, mostly the taxi ones. They are like constipated elephants on heat. I am no saint on the road, but I am yet to spot an Innova taxi perform an overtaking manuvoure with grace and dignity !
spadival is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:12   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Skodas don't stand out to me. SUVs and any taxi or travels car stands out to me...

But we only notice the ones that "stand out" --- the rest just fade into the general traffic around us. Nobody notices that innova that isn't climbing up your backside flashing its lights. We only notice the constipated elephants (nice phrase, Spadival).
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

Indica, Sumo, Amby, Innova, Qualis, Scorpio... I think, it's a problem with all cars used as taxis on our roads. The CNG driven Fiat taxis on Mumbai roads have no real power and yet they manage to scare people with their stunts. I was going to Team-BHP meet at the Turf Club when steeroid was here and since I was going to be drinking, I decided to take a cab. It was a rickety old car with a good deal of steering play. The driver never crossed 35km/h in the entire journey and yet it was the most terrifying experience for me. He almost knocked down a cyclist while doing 15km/h, almost hit a fruit vendor's cart at a similar speed and cut off a bus while doing 25km/h or so. Boy, was I scared!
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:23   #14
BHPian

It all depends on the mentality of the driver irrespective of the vehicles being driven be it a skoda or any other car, In my personal experience of driving to be honest in have seen both. I would call it 50:50. I have seen a maroon skoda tdi near my house used by 2 people, father and son. The father sedately putters around indicating every turn, giving way to pedestrians. Son drives around like a maniac chasing other cars, tailgating, doing jack rabbit launches at every signal! Believe me i have seen them both drive as they stay behind my place. Its just the attitude sometimes. I wouldnt like to generalize also but i have seen a few skoda's driven rashly and the same amount being driven well. Driver counts. Same cant be said for indica cab's though
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

In Bengaluru I don't think so. I think you meant aggressive drivers not bad drivers. For me Santros and WagonR drivers are bad drivers. Maybe they have a lot of first time drivers. Skodas would not.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed