Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 23:48   #166
BHPian

Re: Untrained Security Staff at Hotel Gates: Written Complaint addressed to GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
This says it all.

In fact most of the times I have wondered whether these so-called security folks really know what they are looking for while going through the boot/hood/inside of the car.

The way the security (including those manning the gates of IT companies) go through the drill makes one wonder if it isnt all for show purpose. .
Indeed, I echo that very sentiment. To me as a regular observer, it's pretty clear they're automatons obeying orders blindly without an iota of what to look for , as in : "Boss has said check every vehicle, so we're doing that."

The security staff must have received orders from his supervisor, who in turn would have got them from the security company to whom corporates outsource security staff , and he in turn must have got a vague set of instructions from local police station incharge based on his intel/khabari network. So in the chain of orders handed down, the real idea of security is watered down to "open every car bonnet and boot and see what's inside".

I ride to work, but I see corporate security guards go through the motions of 'checking' cars and bags, without the slightest clue as to what they'd do , if they found a real live bomb or such thing. They look at the bonnet and boot of maybe 100 cars every day and might only be able to see a threat if it was like bright red or yellow sticks bundled together or an array of bright flashing LEDs like they show in the movies. A real IED or such would not be identified by these guys, and most potential elements are smart enough to hide these well out of easy sight.
Old 2nd September 2016, 23:56   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Untrained Security Staff at Hotel Gates: Written Complaint addressed to GM.

It is fun when they also have a "bomb sniffer" dog - usually very friendly labradors and german shepherds, who tend to get very interested at certain odours coming from your car - namely, cookies, biscuits etc.

My kids always demand that we stay at a hotel where they have such dogs deployed, so they can go and play with them from time to time. I love dogs too, so why not?

As for the valets - if I know that parking is going to be a pain at any location, or if like some of the folks in this thread so far I'm going out to a bar or pub, I'll just park at home / office and take an Uber / Ola.

Weekend nights when I occasionally drink are favorite hunting grounds for cops doing DUI checks so it's even more not a bad idea - and valet parking people do funny things to cars, like to this poor Lamborghini a couple of years back.

Pity we can't all find valets like this chap in Monaco, parking Veyrons, Lamborghinis etc like a boss. (drool, I want his job)

Last edited by hserus : 3rd September 2016 at 00:04.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 06:44   #168
Team-BHP Support

Re: Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare

Quote:
parking Veyrons, Lamborghinis etc like a boss
Nice video, but it appears even he forgot to use parking brakes - around 2:50.
Old 9th January 2017, 13:34   #169
BHPian

So my birthday celebration on the weekend, just turned a little bit sour. Had gone to Doolally Andheri on Saturday evening with my better half to just relax and chill. Got home late and being Sunday and my Birthday, didnt bother stepping out and opted for a wind down time at home. Went down this morning to head out for work and just before keeping my bag and laptop at the back, noticed these excruciating scratches and dent on the Rear Left Passenger side.

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-20170109_130254.jpg

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-20170109_130304.jpg

Since I had left around 11:30 PM from the place and that street is chaotic, I hadnt bother checking my car. Plus it was on the passenger side and hence it completely skipped my attention. Fuming, I had a quick look around my car and was further gutted to find this.

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-20170109_130327.jpg

Guessing this yellow paint scratch means the Valet guy must have scratched into a Rickshaw and the white dent and scratches on the back is cause of him hitting a wall or something. Just absolutely pissed off. Dont know whats the best course of action here, whether is it worth posting this on Doolally's Social Media Page or go there and have a word with their Management. Don't know if that would help in anyway as the damage is done. Any suggestions as I am just extremely bugged about this.

Last edited by AnniHilat0R : 9th January 2017 at 13:36.
Old 9th January 2017, 14:56   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Taking rest, just sitting in my car for a while between engagements, I watched a guy parking a car opposite, directly underneath the No-Parking sign. When he got out, from the card key tag, I guessed that this was valet parking.

I too wouldn't expect any consequences from parking in that place. One of the many, many such signs in our city where the sign is one thing, and enforcement is quite another. But what if it was enforced? What if the car incurs a fine, is clamped, or worse... towed away? What then?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 15:52   #171
Senior - BHPian

My guess is they have an arrangement with the local cops not to tow any of their cars. Either that or they have the patrol routes for the cop cars memorized and just park in an area where a patrol isn't set to go through in the next 2..3 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Taking rest, just sitting in my car for a while between engagements, I watched a guy parking a car opposite, directly underneath the No-Parking sign. When he got out, from the card key tag, I guessed that this was valet parking.

I too wouldn't expect any consequences from parking in that place. One of the many, many such signs in our city where the sign is one thing, and enforcement is quite another. But what if it was enforced? What if the car incurs a fine, is clamped, or worse... towed away? What then?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 20:41   #172
Senior - BHPian

A neighbourhood mechanic teaches his workers how to close a bonnet - drop it from a height of 2 feet!!! Thank God, he didnt ask them to slam it down.

Even doors arent closed any more. They usually are banged shut.

Miss good old Amby's sturdy doors !!
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 22:32   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
A neighbourhood mechanic teaches his workers how to close a bonnet - drop it from a height of 2 feet!!! ...
Not so very wrong. The principle is correct, just the distance is a bit much. less than a foot will usually do.

That two-foot drop will do less harm than the really wrong and all-too-common method of pushing it shut.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 11:07   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
A neighbourhood mechanic teaches his workers how to close a bonnet - drop it from a height of 2 feet!!! Thank God, he didnt ask them to slam it down.
I have seen SA's and others at authorized service center do this and this, they say is the right way to close instead of pressing/pushing it to lock though 2 feet seems a bit too high

The exactly opposite is what I heard from a senior guy at Honda for the activa seats. he suggested to keep the seat down and then press slightly in the center of the seat till you hear a click than the way it's generally closed - free falling from its open position.
Old 13th January 2017, 11:13   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That two-foot drop will do less harm than the really wrong and all-too-common method of pushing it shut.
Why do you say that ? A gentle push is .. well, gentle ? The locking mechanism also works to just move the parts aside to let the hook fall into place.

But what gets me more is slamming the doors shut. Bonnets are opened once in a way. Doors - well, almost day-in-day-out. And people slam the doors like they are showing how strong the are !
Old 13th January 2017, 11:33   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I have seen SA's and others at authorized service center do this and this, they say is the right way to close instead of pressing/pushing it to lock though 2 feet seems a bit too high

The exactly opposite is what I heard from a senior guy at Honda for the activa seats. he suggested to keep the seat down and then press slightly in the center of the seat till you hear a click than the way it's generally closed - free falling from its open position.
Because a bonnet is large sheet metal, with just adequate structural strengthening (for pedestrian crash safety), and can easily get dented when you push on it. Pushing it down to close all the time will leave slight depressions on its surface. On the other hand, you can push down on Activa's seat all you want.

Dropping bonnet from a height, so that it would latch properly, is the right way. But yeah, 2 ft. seems to be overkill. Maybe even bad for latch.

Last edited by black_rider : 13th January 2017 at 11:34.
Old 13th January 2017, 12:13   #177
BHPian

After an insulting experience I try not to give my car to valet. Even if that means i have to go a long distance and walk back to the event/hotel. Though some valet drivers don't like this, many drivers at the valet parking understands when I refuse politely and helps me find a parking. I tip them as well.

Its very clear that valet drivers do not take care of customer cars well. Nicks/dents are very common - now one can argue such things happen with everyone. But again you tend to be more responsible when you are asked to take care of someone else's car. The point is such services need to be delivered responsibly - whether complimentary or paid. If something happens they dodge responsibility and will not even apologize - forget paying for the damages unless you know the who's who of the town. Bullying and threatening in such situations are very common. Experienced such an event when a colleague's car was damaged during a company event.

I also happened to see this notice in front of a leading hotel chain. The notice is for the public so not hiding names. The terms are very clear. So please be very careful while giving to valet. Its always better to park the car on your own till valet services take responsibility.

Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-img_20161021_080552.jpg

The insulting experience - For a good laugh.

The first car i bought in my life is a used Premier Padmini. The car was in good condition, neat inside & out. But when i went for a dinner at one of the leading star hotels in Hyd (Don't remember if it was ITC or Taj) the valet refused to take my car saying "who drives these cars" and ran behind cars which had better standards (those days when 1st gen Honda city and Lancer were the desirable cars) Felt insulted, what I was a car too

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 13th January 2017 at 12:28.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 00:03   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why do you say that ? A gentle push is .. well, gentle ? The locking mechanism also works to just move the parts aside to let the hook fall into place.
Because it is what I have been taught by so many people --- and some of them were able to show me the slight depression caused by push-shut people. Check out a few bonnets; you'll find some. Obviously this is not major damage; it is look-in-the-right-light damage. But it is one of those things that, once you know it is there...
Old 14th January 2017, 00:07   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah ! for those lighter-bonnet cars !
For me, with good metal that come with Tata cars, I find it much easier & better to press it shut. But wait - worked perfectly for my Ikon - and now for our A-Star too.
Old 14th January 2017, 06:46   #180
BHPian

Few years back, had a first-hand experience with a valet damaging the gear lever mechanism of a palio. The chap used brute force, not knowing how to engage the reverse gear. Have come to know about similar experiences by a few other fiat owners too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks