Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 18:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Same here. I have driven out of a lot of places just because they insisted on Valet parking my car instead of letting me park on my own. Recently Brand Factory on Marathahalli Road.
Such places should have the option that the valet sits in the passenger seat while you park the car.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:17   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Such places should have the option that the valet sits in the passenger seat while you park the car.
How will it help? So they can get the car back?
Old 24th September 2009, 18:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How will it help? So they can get the car back?
The valet can guide you to the place where he would have parked the car.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:23   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The valet can guide you to the place where he would have parked the car.
Oh ok

No they insisted they Valet park and that i hand over the keys to them. I asked them to show me where to park. They said that we don't know.

Another thing, they took rs 50 even before i parked (Brand Factory). So if they were parking it outside why the rs 50. And yeah i got the money back

But yes next time i will ask them to hop on and guide me to the parking. Thanks for the tip.
Old 24th September 2009, 20:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

^^Heh. Even I did the same thing one time. I never ever give my car to valets. Its too precious for me!
Old 24th September 2009, 22:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No they insisted they Valet park and that i hand over the keys to them. I asked them to show me where to park. They said that we don't know.

Another thing, they took rs 50 even before i parked (Brand Factory). So if they were parking it outside why the rs 50. And yeah i got the money back

But yes next time i will ask them to hop on and guide me to the parking. Thanks for the tip.
Anytime

I have been to Brand Factory once only and i had no idea the valet will take my car out on the road, in traffic. Thats when it struck me that i should have asked him to sit next to me while i drove to wherever they parked.
Old 24th September 2009, 23:14   #82
BHPian

Reminds me of the only time when I had given my Santro for valet parking. The guy had banged it while parking due to which the AC condenser was damaged and the gas had leaked out. I didnt notice it as it was late in night and AC was not used. Saw the next day that AC was not working and it costed about 4k IIRC to refill the same.
Old 25th September 2009, 05:19   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

This is why I love my house. It is walking distance from most of the good restaurants and hotels and multiplexes.
Generally, i either walk, or drive and have my driver drive the car back.
In fact, some of my friends park their car at our house when going for dinner nearby.
Old 25th September 2009, 05:57   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Not only Valets even Authorised Service Centers are bad when it comes to taking care of the car, Last week a NHC almost hit my Punto and sped away, We chased the car and forced it to stop and the driver turned out to be a Honda ASC mechanic and it was some customer's car who gave it for service. We informed the ASC manager of the same but he was defending the driver.

Everytime i giveout my cars for service i specifically ask and write on the Jobcard to avoid a testdrive under any circumstances.
ASC: Ringroad honda, Udyog vihar, Gurgaon
Old 25th September 2009, 10:16   #85
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of my colleagues case, he gives his car to the valet and the driver just drives the car over a wall and the car lands 2 floor down, His zen was gifted to him by his father in law, so there were some sentiments involved, he got the car fixed the hotel owner gave him 25000 out of the 2.5 lac bill, and I forgot to mention the number of times he went there to collect the money. When I joined my new company I was given accommodation in one of the hotels here and they had a valet, once I gave the car to them to park and my engine was still running, the guy cranked it several times even after hearing the grinding noise he could not understand the engine was running. Luckily I was at the reception and just ran to see what could be the reason. I saw this stupid drunk guy at the driver seat. I just opened the door and pulled him out with his collars and asked the security to call the manager. As crowed gathered my folks just pulled me off, the manager came and apologized and gave that guy some tongue lashing but I knew it was all to just show me and soon they will just forget it, but this made me learn my lesson.

Pramod
Old 25th September 2009, 10:40   #86
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

going by these instances it might be more prudent to engage a daily driver from a reputed company for these evenings out or other excursions. they are usually polite, well mannered, drive quite decently and are equipped with mobile phones so that one can call them and have them pick one up at the entrance - their charges are reasonable - around 150 - 200 Rs for 4 hours duty + of course some cash for a meal or tip.

Additionally there is the safety advantage since the driver is sitting in the vehicle the whole time when it is parked so less chance of vandals, damage, loss, thievery etc.

There is a huge advantage in this in case one is attending a party or dinner and has a social drink or two - it is infinitely safer to have a driver who will take one home peacefully and without one's breaking the law by driving one's self.

I prefer to use this method of daily driver every time and I also prefer to use my wife's smaller car when such outings happen, rather than my favourite toy, the Scorpio.

All this can be achieved at a very miniscule cost even when compared with using a Taxi - and one gets the cleanliness, convenience and pleasure of one's own car and one's own music etc.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:46   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
going by these instances it might be more prudent to engage a daily driver from a reputed company for these evenings out or other excursions. they are usually polite, well mannered, drive quite decently and are equipped with mobile phones so that one can call them and have them pick one up at the entrance - their charges are reasonable - around 150 - 200 Rs for 4 hours duty + of course some cash for a meal or tip.
If there any such companies supplying drivers in Pune on demand, I would
like to know.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:53   #88
BHPian

Driver Service in Pune

Hi,

You can hire a driver in Pune from this chap, he is quite reliable.

The URL is Balaji Garage Pune Pvt. Ltd. Balaji Garage Aundh

You can contact on the phone at 020 25887686, or 9890001976.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

whenever I am in Delhi, if I am atending a social do, i never take my (or more appropriately, my mother's) car....I have a friend who runs a travel company, and I always get him to send me a car with a driver. sure, it costs some money (subsidised though!) but the luxury of not driving/parking; being able to enjoy a few social drinks, and not worrying about the safety of your prized possession in the hands of a valet or in a parking lot, more than makes up for it.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:01   #90
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I for one dont like anyone getting near the driving seat of my vehicle
My views are the same. I NEVER give my cars to valets be it at hotels or other places. If they insist, I politely decline and ask them to direct me to a place where I can park my car even if it is far off and I have to walk. Sometimes, I take my driver if I'm in a hurry and don't want to worry about finding parking!

The interesting thing to note is that most valet parking coupons have a disclaimer saying that by handing over the car, you are doing so at your own risk and that the management/valet guy is not responsible for any theft/damage whatsoever!!

I mean why don't people read this fine print before handing over their cars?

Regards,
gpa
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks