Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2017, 11:18   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not so very wrong. The principle is correct, just the distance is a bit much. less than a foot will usually do.

That two-foot drop will do less harm than the really wrong and all-too-common method of pushing it shut.
Dropping the bonnet from a height may be right for the newer cars, having come from Amby and Bolero, I would differ. Ambassador's bonnet was quite heavy as was the Bolero's. All one needed to do is to place the bonnet and press it firmly along the rim.

More pertinent is the fact that the bonnet hold/release mechanism should be good to hold the bonnet in place. I dont think any bonnet would need a drop from height if the mechanism is good in that particular car.
Old 14th January 2017, 12:59   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Dropping the bonnet from a height may be right for the newer cars. ...
It depends how you define newer. I learnt the lesson over thirty years ago, but my father (born 1913), ultimate authority of many aspects of my driving life, was a pusher, not a dropper.

So newer, yes: last three or four decades only
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 17:02   #183
BHPian

Valet Parking is not to be trusted. Period. I remember one case when I gave my Pajero to be parked, but the guy seemed to be trying to fiddle with the 4x4 lever instead of just using the Gear Shifter! Told him to get out of the vehicle, and parked the vehicle myself. From then on, never could trust a Valet to park. One occasion when the guy attempting to adjust the ORVMs with his hands without realising they are electrically operated!
No chances need be taken anymore.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 18:35   #184
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I dislike the way all these valets park. Also the chaps at these tyre centres and detailing centres and car showrooms and car garages.
All of them accelerate unnecessarily and brake hard and then they drive in a jerky manner.
I NEVER give my cars to any of them to drive - only to specific, trusted people, like one driver in the Skoda garage and one Supervisor there. No one else is allowed to touch my car.
The fellows at Tyre Empire HSR are nice enough but I prefer to put my own car on the ramp by my own effort.
The fellows at 3M HSR too are nice but I don't like their jerky driving habits so even there, if at all I go, I do the same and put the car on the ramp myself.
Car Showrooms?
By Heaven! Most irritating indeed!
Hotels? Forget it! No way, except perhaps at hotels where I know the GM's personally and even then as far as possible, I prefer parking myself.
Restaurants? Never! I would rather park myself and walk back a distance to get to the restaurant.
We have in India an innate problem with respecting other people's property. I really detest this attitude.

Ref dropping the bonnet from an inch or two above when closing it vs placing the bonnet down gently and pressing it shut. As per my experience, one can do
either, irrespective of the car one is driving. I mostly drop the bonnet from an inch above the catch, in my Skoda and similarly, in my Gypsy. But whichever method one uses, one should take care while doing it.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th January 2017 at 18:38.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 07:27   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

And personally witnessed mis-handling by these ...

Was at Ritz yesterday for a company town-hall meet. I dont give my car for valet-parking, so they let me go inside to park. After the meet, went to pick up my car. One of the valet's got into another car, and all he had to do was take a right turn from the parked spot around a pillar there, and go past me towards the exit. And in just that -less than 10 m - he pushes the car way way beyond what was required - like his life depended on saving those 2 extra seconds.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 08:52   #186
BHPian

Havent had any bad experiences with the valet parking till date except for the first thing those people do, adjusting the seat per their need. Have to follow the sticker in sticker method to get it back to MY comfortable position.
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:12   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

the valet refused to take my car saying "who drives these cars" ... what I was a car too
Another way to look at it is; perhaps the chap didn't know/was not comfortable with using the column operated gears in the Padmini and hence the refusal
Old 14th September 2017, 10:50   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Havent had any bad experiences with the valet parking till date except for the first thing those people do, adjusting the seat per their need. Have to follow the sticker in sticker method to get it back to MY comfortable position.
What is the sticker in sticker method?
I always face the issue. Valets/friends adjusting the seat. And it takes me sometime and few trials to get back the seat to my comfort position. Till then I'll be irritated. Was trying to find out an easy way to figure this. Didn't know there was a scientific method. Can you please give the details / point me to right place?
Old 14th September 2017, 13:39   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Was trying to find out an easy way to figure this. Didn't know there was a scientific method. Can you please give the details / point me to right place?
No scientific method, place a tape at the seat and to the lower portion of the floor. Next time someone adjusts your seat, match it to re-position.

Source - http://boredomtherapy.com/genius-car-hacks/

Last edited by dre@ms : 14th September 2017 at 13:41.
dre@ms is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 14:00   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for sharing a simple but not so common method to adjust back the seat to one's desired level. It is not only in the case of valet drivers but also when other individuals i.e mechanics (when out for a test drive after service/repair), friends or relatives (during trips) adjust the seats as per their comfort when they have to drive your vehicle. Have always virtually struggled to get back my desired seating position after someone else has driven the car. Have even tried putting up marking using a marker pen but then it entails straining the eyes to locate and align the markings especially during the night time. Use of stickers/tapes is much more convenient.

Regards.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 18:07   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not so very wrong. The principle is correct, just the distance is a bit much. less than a foot will usually do.

That two-foot drop will do less harm than the really wrong and all-too-common method of pushing it shut.
Will work just right for any VAG and Tata car, but I doubt the same for a light build car like Kwid or Baleno (No offence to any respective owners) but I feel the latter cars will take a hit on their bonnet sheets.
Old 14th September 2017, 19:30   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Havent had any bad experiences with the valet parking till date except for the first thing those people do, adjusting the seat per their need. .
Looks like you have not seen how they handle cars inside the parking area
Old 14th September 2017, 19:41   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looks like you have not seen how they handle cars inside the parking area
Not sure how they would have handled, but luckily not a single scratch or dents anywhere except for the seat pushed forward :(
Old 15th September 2017, 00:10   #194
BHPian

Back in 2012, a valet managed to ram our cruze AT straight into a wall.
The driver was fine, but attempted suicide immediately post the accident, since he was scared of the consequences. He was stopped just in time, before he jumped off the hotel roof.
I cant find any pictures of the car now, but basically the frontal impact was hard enough for the dash to move inwards. Needless to say, the car was a total loss.
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 07:47   #195
BHPian

Could you claim insurance in such a case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Back in 2012, a valet managed to ram our cruze AT straight into a wall.
The driver was fine, but attempted suicide immediately post the accident, since he was scared of the consequences. He was stopped just in time, before he jumped off the hotel roof.
I cant find any pictures of the car now, but basically the frontal impact was hard enough for the dash to move inwards. Needless to say, the car was a total loss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks