Team-BHP - Have people lost it??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Have people lost it?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/34700-have-people-lost-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 704707)

Rather than doing such a disgraceful act, it'd make sense to just put a polite note on the windscreen expressing your displeasure.

Hey this is a good way to express, so carry some post its in your car and am sure many will get the message!

very good thought!

Reminds me of a incident which occurred with my cousin, a truck guy had rammed into my cousins parked car while reversing. Before leaving the scene he left a note on the car, which had his contact details. Yes this is not possible in India:) it was in UK... anyways if people were so responsible and sensible here it would have saved many of us from lots of stress and frustutaions!

Its definitely a good thing to write a few lines (in a polite tone,of course) on a pastey/ post it note and stick it on the driver's side window. This is definitely good in apartment complexes,where the chances of recurring problems is higher.

Come to the US,and you'd be awestruck if anyone writes a note in a polite tone. The most common thing is to use some black paint,and write the best possible profanities on the windscreen.

I feel that most often, a gentle reminder or a very straight forward approach to asking someone not to do something,works. If its a person with fair amount of education,it ought to work. Of course, welcome to India-where there's no logic/common sense most of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 704707)
Scratching a poor car for no fault of it is criminal. How would you feel if someone else did it to your car? Does it solve the problem? Do you think he would even realize why he got the scratch. Its shameful to have folks who do this and then don't even admit their guilt. FYI vandalizing someone else's property is a criminal offence that can entail jailtime.

Rather than doing such a disgraceful act, it'd make sense to just put a polite note on the windscreen expressing your displeasure. If the chap is educated, he'd probably not do the mistake again. It could very well be possible that the guy has just learnt to drive and isn't even aware of his mistake.

Oh yeah. You think so. Put yourself in the shoes of the person and think. And, if you think it is disgraceful it's upto you. Everybody is entitled to put in their (personal) opinion.

Anyways, this was his way of getting even with the guy or venting out his anger. If others have different views let it be so. Moreover, I'am not justifying here that what he has done is right or wrong. Hope you might have read the topic of this thread.

If you put a post it people will just throw it away let alone read it. Man, you are in India and not in US/Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 704796)
If you put a post it people will just throw it away let alone read it. Man, you are in India and not in US/Europe.

On a lighter note, if a post-it was placed on the car,and you turn around for a few minutes,when you look back,the car would have vanished and the post-it would be lying there. The guy would have added - 'go to hell!'..
lol:

Quote:

Well have you ever tried it before dismissing it without a thought? Its like saying I'll break the law cos there are no cops around.

There are easier ways of venting one's anger than scratching the other guy's car or dumping buckets of paint onto someone else's car. If tbhpians come to this, then we have absolutely no right to complaint as to how badly folks misbehave on the roads :Frustrati. I'm not sure why folks always have to be so negative all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 704807)
Well have you ever tried it before dismissing it without a thought? Its like saying I'll break the law cos there are no cops around.

Nope. I have not. But I usually throw way the papers that are put up on my car thinking if any things urgent is there let them call me back.:)

Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet?

After reading the paint-scratching incident, I am now hysterical at the thought of parking on public roads. God help all of us.

Quote:

Man, you are in India and not in US/Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 704750)

Reminds me of a incident which occurred with my cousin, a truck guy had rammed into my cousins parked car while reversing. Before leaving the scene he left a note on the car, which had his contact details. Yes this is not possible in India:) it was in UK... anyways if people were so responsible and sensible here it would have saved many of us from lots of stress and frustutaions!

frankly speaking, a lot of it has to do with the fear of consequences. here in US, somewhere some CCTV may be recording your activity, and you may be caught for something as simple as not calling 911 when needed. So people tend to do the 'right thing' all the time.

I absolutely agree with ROC here. We t-bhpians consider ourselves a little better than the average driver and if we start stooping down to their level, it is shameful.

T-BHP is supposed to promote safe sensible drivin/riding and I am sad to see some posts in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 704264)
But my bro got the car out after much haggling with the steering, and to teach this guy a lesson, he took his key and scratched the entire left portion of the new santro.

Disgusting act and we have someone blowing his trumphet about the incident. So how sure are you that your bro' was right ?

Even I had faced such tight parking situations, but I just cursed & wished all ills to that owner/driver who wrongly parked his car/2-wheeler and just manage to wriggle my car out.

Scratching the car is too much a punishment to be meted out!

ROC's post-it idea looks good, I should start trying it out, atleast the owner will realize his folly & hopefully will not repeat it.

Did your brother check whether the car was parked in neutral, as is the norm in cities in India. In cases like this, we usually try to push the other car to take our car out, then push it back in place. There's nothing disrespectful in that.

On one occasion, in the office parking lot, where parallel parking in neutral is the norm, my car had rolled back wards reducing the gap between itself and a lady's NHC. The lady, though known and junior to me, started creating a ruckus and was blasting the security person. Another friend of mine, present at the scene just tried to push my car forward, to this the lady objected, that its the security's responsibility and she should not touch the car. Security guard comes in, the lady blasts him, incidentally I was near by that time, I move my car, the lady continues blasting the security,then tries to get me on her side, by saying bumpers can get scratched and all. I tell her that on modern cars bumpers are flexible, usually nothing happens , cars usually roll into each other at almost every major point in Calcutta, nothing happens, show her the scratchless bumpers. She keeps on blabbering and drives off. The security guy thanks me. My friend, him and me have a hearty laugh.

Next day, I see the security guard wave at me while I am parking my car, points to the NHC with a dented left fender. Then we let our imaginations run wild. Next time I meet the lady, show her a lot of concern for her dented fender for which a bad auto driver and a illegally constructed wall was responsible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 705056)
Did your brother check whether the car was parked in neutral, as is the norm in cities in India. In cases like this, we usually try to push the other car to take our car out, then push it back in place. There's nothing disrespectful in that.

Next day, I see the security guard wave at me while I am parking my car, points to the NHC with a dented left fender. Then we let our imaginations run wild. Next time I meet the lady, show her a lot of concern for her dented fender for which a bad auto driver and a illegally constructed wall was responsible.

Is that really true- having to keep your car in neutral when you park? Obviously you'd have to engage the hand-brake,else 99% for sure,the car would move on the slightest incline.

lol: Poor NHC in the hands of the lady..!

Quote:

Oh yeah. You think so. Put yourself in the shoes of the person and think. And, if you think it is disgraceful it's upto you. Everybody is entitled to put in their (personal) opinion.

Your brother was able to get his car out. Which means there was enough space. There was no need to scratch another car. It's like slapping someone's kid if you don't like the parent. And let me tell you, if the owner had happened to come back at that moment, your brother wouldn't be in Bahrain or wherever right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar

It's this sort of attitude from educated people that ensures that we are in "India". You'd be surprised at just how nice Indians can be. I've been extremely stupid in many driving situations, but a mouthed "Sorry" or an apologetic wave and a smile always works, and sometimes the other person just smiles back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 705077)
I've been extremely stupid in many driving situations, but a mouthed "Sorry" or an apologetic wave and a smile always works, and sometimes the other person just smiles back.

Thats exactly what I suggested in one of my earliest posts on this thread.
It makes a big difference when a person apologizes or atleast waves his hand in an effort to tell the other person a particular move was not intentional. That way,there's no room for any sort of road rage or anger to build up.

It would be a really nice thing,if every BHPian were to adopt this simple idea,and wave out to another person affected by your actions,while on the road. if you swerve suddenly ( to avoid something/someone), and someone behind you honks, wave out in a very simple manner and apologize. Would definitely work 99% of the time. The remaining 1% would constitute someone who's just keen on fighting,so avoid them & continue on your route.