Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 09:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Close encounter of the "thud" kind

OK, my immaculate arctic silver beast has been scratched by a not-so-well maintained Zen that was being driven by an ill-mannered female wearing a track suit. DISGUSTING!! And I'm really cheesed off about it -

As you can see, although there is no dent, its looking really bad with the scratches & the paint chipped off so I have no option but to go for a bumper repaint. Depending on where I get it done (Dhingra or Pandit), it will set me back by (probably) 2 to 4k. Not to mention the fact that I need to find the time to leave the car at the workshop to get the job done. All so unnecessary - even more so considering that I collected this trophy without even running the race so to speak!!

This was Tuesday evening around 6pm, was parking the vehicle at the DLF City Club in Phase IV prior to walking across the road to the Galleria market. So we entered the Club (daughter & me) and we were crawling along the long driveway, looking for a parking slot. Spotted one next to a Black CRV & proceeded. Reaching the spot, took a gentle right turn, stopped, engaged reverse gear & was crawling (probably 3-5 kmph?) back into the slot.

So picture this - front wheels on left lock, car reversing slowly into the slot, my full attention on my right ORVM & the reverse guide camera in the inside RVM. Next thing I hear, a loud THUD, the ship rocked gently, I hit the brakes & we're wondering like "what the heck?".

Looked in front & there's this Zen which has stopped up ahead & there's this young aggresive female (I will not call her a lady because her mannerisms weren't suggestive that she was anywhere near ladylike) who has jumped out of it & is dancing about & shouting while surveying her damage (bumper dangling & probably dents on the rear left side). Guess what? Madam was zipping through a non-existent gap (at a fair speed) between the Safari & the wall on the right & she whacked my fender in the process.

And she was screaming at me! Like I was the one who was at fault! So the conversation went something like this -

SHE: What the hell, all you guys who drive these big cars are the same! Can't you see where you're going?
ME: Excuse me (Scratching my head)? Me not seeing - what about you? You banged my car trying to go through a gap that wasn't there.....
SHE: (interrupting) Look at what you've done - you've s.c.r.e.w.e.d. up my car completely....
ME: And you've screwed up mine as well - look at it. Couldn't you see that I was parking?!
SHE: Oh, big deal, that's nothing compared to whats happened to mine. And did you signal with your indicator that you were turning? How the hell am I supposed to know!
(Mind you, I was already reversing into the slot & she's talking about indicator blah, blah)
ME: Is there any reason for you to be zipping around inside the club premises at 100 kmph? (exaggerated but what the hell.....)
SHE: 100 kmph? Now isn't that an exaggeration! (Blah, blah, blah.....and then some more blah)
Then she started getting a little offensive so I told her to carry on & that it was no point talking to her; she made a few more derogatory remarks but I didn't retort back because she was, after all, a member of the opposite sex & my daughter was also in the car.

She carried on ranting so I had to finally tell her politely that she should F.O. then she got into her car & zipped off while I reversed into my slot & surveyed the damage.

So unfortunate & unnecessary wasn't it! And, as happens with these things, for absolutely no fault of mine. Those who are familiar with the City Club will be able to visualize what I'm talking about - there is absolutely no scope of zipping by when someone is parking, you have to wait till the person is done before proceeding! Did this hyper, stressed out, moronic & aggressive female realize this? I guess not. Has she learnt her lesson? I doubt it! Will she be reminded of it every time she sees her damaged car? I hope so.

I was left with a bad taste in my mouth & a ruined mood for the rest of the evening & the better part of yesterday. And now I gotta get the painting done as well. Cest la vie............
Old 31st January 2008, 10:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear about this, suman. if this had happend in traffic it would have been understandable (but not nice, even though!); racing inside a closed space is nuts.

there are people who are with absolute no sense about the dimensions of the their drive. added to this, if they drive like Schumy's relative - we have a perfect recipe for disaster.

i just hope that the damage to the other vehicle was on a high end! (I am being mean here!)
Old 31st January 2008, 10:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

LOL at the title Suman!! But nevertheless an irritating thing to happen. Best of luck with the painting!
Old 31st January 2008, 10:20   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Suman, bumpers will inevitably get scratched in the city, even when your car is parked. Repaint the bumper only once every 3 - 4 years to take care of the stratches. For now, give her some good polishing (rubbing kind).
Old 31st January 2008, 10:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Not good at all. These female drivers drive like the roads are theirs and nobody can interrupt and stop them. When in traffic I always prefer to overtake these lady (femals) drivers as we do not know which way they will be moving as they will be driving on the centre of the road. How much ever you ask for the way be it honking/horning/using dipper, they will not budge and move to left side and let others pass by. This is my daily experience with the lady drivers while driving.

Your case is too simple. She should have stopped or should have passed slowly after you parked your vehicle.

P.S: Lady members of T-BHP excuse me for my rant as this is the daily problem which I'am encountering while driving.
Old 31st January 2008, 10:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Now, what did GTO mean by this? Good polishing to the bumper or (d) 'rubbing kind' to the track-suit waali?

Well, Suman, two close encounters within a span of few days. Dangerous man. At one place you were doing 120 kmph and at the other 3kmph. I know how cheesed off you must be, but these females feel they are at an advantage by belonging ot the fairer sex and can get away with anything and everything. According to me they are the most dangerous drivers on this mother earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Suman, for now, give her some good polishing (rubbing kind).
Old 31st January 2008, 10:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Suman, i would rather suggest to go for normal rubbing job as bumper tend to get the scratches usually as being on-road in delhi and ncr. However if you still tend to get to re-painted, do lookout for a good after market painter which will hardly cost you 200-300 rs.

I do understand that it hurts to see your car patched when you drive nicely !!
Old 31st January 2008, 11:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this suman but GTO is right, give it a touchup job or a DIY nailpolish.

Always beware of the lady drivers, I usually slow down when they are near me, let them pass, take the turn etc. Who knows they might bang into you while you are overtaking them, they never seem to use any of the mirrors for the driving, most are pointed towards the sky.

Btw, i need to learn which indicator to use while parking
Old 31st January 2008, 11:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
P.S: Lady members of T-BHP excuse me for my rant as this is the daily problem which I'am encountering while driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
According to me they are the most dangerous drivers on this mother earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Btw, i need to learn which indicator to use while parking
thanks guys, reading your posts made me feel a lot better!!

Quote:
Now, what did GTO mean by this? Good polishing to the bumper or (d) 'rubbing kind' to the track-suit waali?
ROTFLMAO

Quote:
Well, Suman, two close encounters within a span of few days. Dangerous man.
You telling me! Must be one of those transition periods or something - all the more reason why I backed off with the Scorpio yesterday morning mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
i just hope that the damage to the other vehicle was on a high end! (I am being mean here!)
Didn't inspect it closely but it looked like she'll have to spend a lot more than me - the left side of the rear bumper was hanging plus she'd got at least one big dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For now, give her some good polishing (rubbing kind).
Yeah Rush, I did contemplate a DIY but I'm not sure if its going to look presentable. I guess its a good idea to try out with some rubbing compound & then go for painting if it still looks ugly

Last edited by suman : 31st January 2008 at 11:27.
Old 31st January 2008, 11:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
OK, my immaculate arctic silver beast has been scratched by a not-so-well maintained Zen that was being driven by an ill-mannered female wearing a track suit. DISGUSTING!! And I'm really cheesed off about it

I was left with a bad taste in my mouth & a ruined mood for the rest of the evening & the better part of yesterday. And now I gotta get the painting done as well. Cest la vie............
Never mind, let it be. These things happen. A couple of stiff whiskeys and a session with GD bhai will cure you, while the truck needs more than that.
Old 31st January 2008, 11:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well your best got a scratch but hope it left a lasting impression on the gals car?
Old 31st January 2008, 12:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

Thats bad news, Suman.
Maybe i dont know how to read, but for some reason, i kept reading the title of the thread as 'Close encounter with the "thug" kind'. I was expecting something more sinister while reading through the thread. Looks like its time for new contact lenses.

As for the beast, evaluate the damage and then get the bumper repainted.
Old 31st January 2008, 13:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Suman da, thats a irritating kind of scratch, really hamper the beauty of the beast...

Anyway try with some polish / rubbing etc and keep it for sometime, give it to repainting once it takes some more of the scratches in near future (you never know the number of such stupid lady drivers are increasing these days specially in metro cities)

Abhi
Old 31st January 2008, 13:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Suman,

Atleast you learnt two things.

1) You have to indicate when parking
2) You can care a damn about speed limits inside the club premises.

But yeah just get some rubbing compound and scrub the scratches off.(off the car , not off the girl)

Cheers
Old 31st January 2008, 14:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Lol Suman, good title and description. My sympathies are with you and your car.

Even I've had only terrible experiences with lady drivers.

A very similar incident happened with me a couple years ago.

I was parked at a signal and there was a Honda City in the adjacent lane to my right. Although we were parallel, the City was behind, i.e. the bonnet of the City near the rear wheel of my sierra. Just before the light turned green, this probably chick realizes that she's in the wrong lane and wants to turn left (in a 3 lane road with her being in the rightmost and me in the middle). So as I pushed into 1st gear and gently trundled ahead I hear a whack at the rear of the car. She missed the body etc and got the plastic kona that the older Sierras have at both corners of the rear bumper with her front bumper. From what I guess, she had already had the front wheels on "left lock" (just learnt this term ) while waiting at the signal and then just moved ahead when it went green.

The plastic piece fell off and I proceeded straight intending to go past the signal atleast and then stop to see the damage. To my surprise this chick abandons her original plan of going left and instead follows me, and after pulling over next to me starts scolding me for bumping her car!!!

First I tried to explain to her that there is no way in the world that while I'm driving forward, I can nudge someone with the rear end of my car. But unfortunately all this was just met with more abuses about how dangerous "kids" like me on the roads are and how we think no end to ourselves.

Ultimately, I just had to get in the car and drive away since people had started to gather and the conversation was clearly going nowhere.

Most other male drivers in this situation would have atleast realized its their fault, but somehow ladies seem to inherently lack any concepts pertaining to driving. And if the male driver wouldnt realize his mistake there are several ways to force him to realize it. This was just a hopeless scenario.

Most Viewed