Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 12:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Unplanned malls adding to the chaos....

Am one among them who HATES traffic and try hard to stay away from it(its not practical. On Saturday i went to Koramangala around 7ish, though i knew it was not the right time to venture out on a weekend but took a chance, to my horror it was hell out on the roads it took about 20mins to reach from Marathalli to the ring road, but from Egpura signal to the Koramangala 80ft road which is hardly any distance took me about 30mins!!! Thanks to the new mall which has opened there recently (i think its lifestyle??) cars were parked on the road... am sure this would be a common scene from now on. Situation is same near innovative multiplex, Marathalli….

People are constructing malls etc which attracts lots of people but don't have sufficient parking for the vehicles.

God save this city!
Old 4th February 2008, 12:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

There was an article recently in Bangalore Times that they are planning to build a mall where the HAL airport is right now, once the international airport becomes operational!

I agree with lohith. A city is anyway not the perfect place for malls. Malls should be built outside the city limits, with good connectivity ofcourse.
Old 4th February 2008, 12:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The particular problem with layouts like Kormangala, generic to most of Bangalore, is that they were:

1. Originally planned as a compact residential locality
2. Badly planned - with no parallel roads to main roads
3. Not meant for the population its witnessing today
4. Its location - where it finds itself bang in the middle of Hosur Road, Airport Road and Indiranagar, is all wrong for its own sake.
Old 4th February 2008, 13:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Am one among them who HATES traffic and try hard to stay away from it(its not practical. On Saturday i went to Koramangala around 7ish, though i knew it was not the right time to venture out on a weekend but took a chance, to my horror it was hell out on the roads it took about 20mins to reach from Marathalli to the ring road, but from Egpura signal to the Koramangala 80ft road which is hardly any distance took me about 30mins!!! Thanks to the new mall which has opened there recently (i think its lifestyle??) cars were parked on the road... am sure this would be a common scene from now on. Situation is same near innovative multiplex, Marathalli….

People are constructing malls etc which attracts lots of people but don't have sufficient parking for the vehicles.

God save this city!
Heard this on Radio City. I think there was some kind of event/promotion going on. Moreover, the President of India was here in Sat & Sunday. Was this creating proboem with lot of diversions which Police had put in?
Old 4th February 2008, 13:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lohith, You took the words from my mouth. Infact I was also stuck there for an hour during that time. I have never seen such a jam before on IRR. From Indiranagar flyover to Maharaja Restaurant took me 50min (between 6:45 to 7:35PM). It was total chaos right from halfway from IRR.

I was damn frustrated that day.

Abhi
Old 4th February 2008, 13:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Today the moment a big space is available either a mall or a apartment would built there... Its about how much money can be made not that how helpful/troublesome it would be for the people...

snaronikar dont think this jam was due to prez vist, yea airport road was jammed, guess that was due the prez's visit.
Old 4th February 2008, 13:24   #7
BANNED

These incidents are not specific to any city. In fact with one-ways missing, other cities are more chaotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
God save this city!
Old 4th February 2008, 13:50   #8
BHPian

Not just the Inner Ring Road, even Outer Ring Road is not spared.
Considering the number of apartments/IT parks being constructed in Outer Ring Road, I doubt if We will be able to call it ORR after a couple of years.

This is the hottest topic in our office cab when we travel from Hennur to Electronic City
Old 4th February 2008, 14:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

i was staying at egipura some 2 years back. and with the office in RV road, had to take the route in front of forum everyday! did that for 18months and then shifted to Uttrahalli.

had enough of the koramangala crowd and traffic! Man, that place is always in a jam!
Old 4th February 2008, 14:45   #10
BHPian

I think Govt should not sanction such mall.All building should show a plan which won't affect the main stream traffic.
I think recently they brought such a law but I think it will hardly will get effective.
Why can we people BAN the mall.
Please don't go to such malls.If Govt can let us do it "4 the people"...
Old 4th February 2008, 14:52   #11
BHPian

Isn't it madatory for malls to have sufficient parking facilities for patrons in order to get their permits. AFAIK, all malls in Delhi/NCR have parking spaces within themselves.

\N
Old 4th February 2008, 15:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rules are meant to be broken, atleast in india few have decent parking but many hardly can accommodate few numbers.

SO the visitors have to park on the road, and we know how good are people parking
Old 4th February 2008, 15:23   #13
BHPian

Yeah, it looks like Airport Road - Koramangala IRR will become an unofficial parking space for the new mall!! - similar to what happened in Marathahalli!

Wondering what is in store with Airport Road traffic once the Kempfort which is undergoing renovation to host a huge mall very soon..Kempfort's cramped parking lot can't take morethan 30 cars at a time.
Old 4th February 2008, 15:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Heck i too was caught in traffic for almost 40 mins ... It's coz of Lifestyle Mall ...
Old 4th February 2008, 16:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks like quiet a few from tbhp were caught in that jam anymore???

Most Viewed