Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2008, 23:10   #16
BHPian

Quote:
correction in my first post, the traffic cop asked me to let them go as he couldnt register a case
Thanks for the amazing response.
Just got back home from the PS.
Yes, i did get the truck number.
Went to the police station, they told me that a complaint has to be booked with the army police.
The cop was helpful, but advised me not to register the complaint coz military police does not listen to civilians.
He said that the military police too thinks on the same lines, and will not question the integrity of the driver or the pilot.He also pointed out to this incident where an army truck killed a scooter guy, driver was arrester but no case followed and the scooter guy was blamed for it, by the words of the driver of the truck.
He supported the idea of complaining but also said that the military police would be worse than the dirty police that are in khaki......they might just book me for causing inconvinence to the army movement...coz the truk got held up there for a while
And still was willing to help me go though the complain, but all odds were against me.

So, i decided not to go ahead with the army police complaint, but write to 2 news papers about the incident, explaining the situation and how the army jawans start to harass and demanding an apology....how they care a damn about people they are sworn to protect.
I should confess that this experience has left me shaken.
I was so frustrated that my last line to the pilot was," you'll never move ahead in life you'll remain a jawan, a looser all your life, if u cant be fair with your self"(in hindi though) the were north eastern, i almost called them Chinese (now it sends a chill in the back, I said all that while being out numbered 14:1)

I had a 2 fold luck though.
first, that i took the 118ne, but was supposed to take the ikon.
second, that the body got damaged bigtime but none of the glasses broke, the frames for bent though. (i wouldnt be able to find the original green tinted glasses now)
Damage- from right tail to the passenger door(including the door), the whole body had been punched in 4 inches. (Damn! if it had been the ikon i would have been done for, bigtime)
Got a 3rd party insurance on it, cant claim any thing.
Gotta see how much to takes to fix it.

Deplorable attitude of the army jawans though.
Old 11th February 2008, 23:25   #17
Ram
Senior - BHPian

If you got rear-ended it is not your fault, even if the traffic light was green.

The police must register an FIR, whether or not they have the ability to progress the matter. Refusal to register an FIR is an offense in itself.

After that you can lodge a written complaint with the army police, with a copy to the higher officer. As a civilian, nobody can stop you from writing to the highest authority in the land.
Again, India is not a lawless land. But you have to write to the right authorities. Escalate until you get action.
Old 11th February 2008, 23:36   #18
BHPian

I wonder why an organisation that places so much importance on discipline does not instill a sense of self-discipline in its file and rank. Army men, when out of their cantonment, should not behave like a law unto themselves. It's time the responsible ones in the uniformed class took these hooligans to task. I have the highest respect for the army, but am of the opinion that the public profile of their men, like Caesar's wife, should be beyond suspicion.
Old 11th February 2008, 23:38   #19
BHPian

....er..rank and file, I mean.. :-)
Old 12th February 2008, 03:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Gendarmee, have you tried to contact any Army officer regarding this issue? Anyone in the Army that you are acquainted with? Probably BHPians who have relatives in the Army could find out more about this.
I'll touch base with my F-I-L.He should be able to shed some light on how to proceed.
Old 12th February 2008, 08:05   #21
BHPian

Like Nitin said, get hold of some Army officer - and you will be right on track. Team-bhpians should be able to help out.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:56   #22
BHPian

hey gendarmee, just my 2 cents.

Its no use taking action against these army brats. No one has the authority over them. My teacher told me this story once, when a minister with his entire convoy wanted to cross a road which the army was blocking. He came out to speak to the guy in charge and just tapped him on the shoulder (In a friendly way), asking him to allow him to pass. The guy twisted his arm and nearly broke it. His entire convoy was not allowed to leave. The minister spoke to all available resources n only the president and even PM had to intervine to sort out the matter.

I have heard this from several people including my neighbor who is an ex-army general. Saying that only the PM or President has full authority to command the army. Even the army police cannot do a damn thing. So i advise you to be careful.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
hey gendarmee, just my 2 cents.
I have heard this from several people including my neighbor who is an ex-army general. Saying that only the PM or President has full authority to command the army. Even the army police cannot do a damn thing. So i advise you to be careful.
. and second your opinion. No point in running pillar to pillar. Moreover, if you give any comlaint, thse guys should not form a team and wait to take grudge against you.

Nobody has control (except the above 2) over these big bullies. Pathetic. . It happens only in India (I hope).
Old 12th February 2008, 11:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Any one got hit but a Army Truck?
Yes, I have been hit by a air force truck.

I was riding a fiero. The truck hit my rear wheel fender. And my right leg got bruised. With help from a traffic constable, some how managed to take the whole truck full of officers to the jeevan beema nagar police station...

Last edited by gkrishn : 12th February 2008 at 11:13.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I think any complaint against the army personnel has to be filed with the army police.
The civilian police have jurisdiction over anything that happens outside the military campus. The complaint should be lodged only with the local police.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:15   #26
LLL
BHPian

Read the thread and am very surprised at the kind of authority our Govt has given to the army.
Am not surprised that our army is hated in civilian areas wherever its deployed (kashmir, NE)....wonder how many such small incidents go in alienating the local populace and contributing to separatism.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Gendarmee, sorry to hear about your incident, left a bad taste in the mouth - another case of hooliganism by army jawans
Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post

Deplorable attitude of the army jawans though.
It is deplorable but glad that you got out of it unscathed, God knows what these guys may have got up to considering that you were outnumbered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I suggest you go to the media - they will gleefully pick up the story whereas cops will hesitate even to book a case. You have nothing to lose.
Yeah, I would second that!
Old 12th February 2008, 12:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

These "army" guys are known to even beat up local policemen who try to book them and even go to the extent of ransacking police stations !! If the country is protected by such people, who needs enemies !
Old 12th February 2008, 12:44   #29
BHPian

What sort of truck were they in was it the good old SHAKTIMAN? or the relatively new STALLION ? The shaktiman is really a task to drive and even the amount of torque it make s it s difficult to handle it in traffic . Now this aint an excuse to rear end into people waiting at traffic signal s .
THe way the shaktiman moves on snow clad mountain s is so scary on a recent trip to leh with my innova being ahead having just 4 passenger s and a shaktiman loaded 15 of them soldiers fully claded in their gear with luggage although no arm s becoz with arms they travel in a convoy !! I was just tapped from behind on my bumper and lucky there was a big shoulder arond the bend which saved us from going down the mountain .
The army truck stopped and the guys were pretty helpful not the harrasing kinds or maybe it s their homeground and they took pity on us !!

Other than being bully they should have a right of way atleast i feel so if you witness the hostile conditions in leh and kargil drass sector they withstand there would definitely be a change of your attitude towards them !!! It s just a personal opinion .

And yes no 5 finger s are the same no army soldier s are the same !!
WE found them to be very pally and helpful in the entire trip .
Old 12th February 2008, 16:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
These "army" guys are known to even beat up local policemen who try to book them and even go to the extent of ransacking police stations !! If the country is protected by such people, who needs enemies !
Surely there are people among us who are rash drivers. But we never generalize, do we?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks