Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 03:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

There should be laws for not allowing on a 2-wheeler, kids who are unable to sit pillion on a 2-wheeler either because of age or because the pillion seat is already occupied by someone.

Infact kids should not be allowed on a 2-wheeler as long as their legs dont reach the footrests.

There should be laws to preven saree clad women seated eccentrically on a 2-wheeler, hugely causing imbalance.

If we have the helmet rules citing safety, these should be there too.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th February 2008 at 03:20.
Old 16th February 2008, 03:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
There should be laws to preven saree clad women seated eccentrically on a 2-wheeler, hugely causing imbalance.
I have seen a woman falling down from a scooter after it bumped on a speed breaker. thankfully she was not holding a child. and we were able to swerve in time to save her. And I have had numerous fights with my wife when in india, to persuade her to not sit in that fashion.

It's all a matter of one's respect for one's own safety. we can not be boasting about dirt cheap life style and maintain safety regulations at the same time.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:34   #18
BHPian

Sorry if it's off-topic.......i bought a Child Seat two days back from Mother Care for 7K.

-- Biju
Old 18th February 2008, 15:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Sorry if it's off-topic.......i bought a Child Seat two days back from Mother Care for 7K.
-- Biju
Hi,

How long can the child use it? My baby is 14 months old and I am wondering whether I need to go for it.
He likes to be in the front seat to play with the HU and other controls. Wondering whether he would use the Child seat..
Old 18th February 2008, 16:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Hi,

How long can the child use it? My baby is 14 months old and I am wondering whether I need to go for it.
He likes to be in the front seat to play with the HU and other controls. Wondering whether he would use the Child seat..
This is a combination seat which can be used from Newborn to around 4 years. Till the baby is 6 months, it has to be used rear facing and after that it can be used forward facing.

IMO, babies shouldn't be allowed to play with the controls. (I can do all the talk now, because my baby is only 4 months old.)

Did a test run with her yesterday and she seems to be ok with it. She needs to get used to it.

-- Torqy
Old 18th February 2008, 16:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
This is a combination seat which can be used from Newborn to around 4 years. Till the baby is 6 months, it has to be used rear facing and after that it can be used forward facing.

IMO, babies shouldn't be allowed to play with the controls. (I can do all the talk now, because my baby is only 4 months old.)

Did a test run with her yesterday and she seems to be ok with it. She needs to get used to it.

-- Torqy
Thanks for the details.
My opinion is the same. But he does not think so.
He is restless and is in destruction mode. Everything is undergoing his abuse and we are helpless spectators. All the Best friend!!
I need to give the mobile for repair today.
Old 18th February 2008, 17:00   #22
BHPian

I think two wheelers carry a lot more inherent risk and hence should be more aware of safety needs, particularly for children who are not yet mature enough to understand. The irony is that people seem to be more carefree on a two wheeler.

Anyway, to repeat a famous quote, we can be the change we want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I need to give the mobile for repair today.
OT: look at the bright side - at least it is in a repairable condition
Old 18th May 2008, 20:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
But then its impossible to sit on a 2-wheeler the 'normal' way if wearing a Saree/lungi (or any skirt-like dress I guess- even in the west back in the old days when women used to wear skirts they'd sit side-saddle only.) But even that isnt as bad as sitting holding a child in your arms- the mother may be able to save the child but usually causes potential risk to herself during a fall! :(

Incidentally there are many families who own a car but still travel on a 2-wheeler as a family- blame it on our traffic that have no discipline and lack of more proper, wider roads in many parts of cities!
Luckily they are widening an entire stretch of road on both sides in one part of Hyderabad! Its good as it was getting horribly congested lately!
Old 18th May 2008, 22:47   #24
rippergeo

have you noticed pedestrians walking with children? quite a few of them use their own children as shields from the traffic.
the sheer stupidity!!!!

to make things worse, they walk on the left hand side of the road, making sure that they cant see what vehicles are approaching their children from behind.

Old 18th May 2008, 23:16   #25
BHPian

Once, I have seen a man in his Bike and there was a 7 yearold girl siting behind,hugging him and was sleeping.slowly she was bending down and the guy tapped her to wake her up constantly.There was a 3year old boy sitting in front and sleeping on the tank.It was very risky.But i could not help it in any way.

Way back in my native,I have seen boys standing behind their dad on the 2weeler seat holding their dad's shoulders and enjoying their ride.
Old 18th May 2008, 23:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
have you noticed pedestrians walking with children? quite a few of them use their own children as shields from the traffic.
the sheer stupidity!!!!

to make things worse, they walk on the left hand side of the road, making sure that they cant see what vehicles are approaching their children from behind.
So true! I believe all of us have noticed this. Do not understand what is it with these people!!!

Anywhere you go, you have people walking with children, and the child will be on the road and the parent/adult safely off the road!

The only thought that comes to my mind in such cases is that they have more than enough kids to care about the one on hand! Stay very clear off these types!!!
Old 18th May 2008, 23:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
But then its impossible to sit on a 2-wheeler the 'normal' way if wearing a Saree/lungi (or any skirt-like dress I guess- even in the west back in the old days when women used to wear skirts they'd sit side-saddle only.)
On horses, yes, but motorbikes, no; I never remember seeing such a thing!

Of course, the fact that they will probably we wearing full 'leathers', and will change into the skirt when they get there, might have something to do with that.

(And women still do wear skirts and dresses in the West!)

(I don't think British bikes even have that special footrest on the side. But then, I've never been a bike rider)
Old 19th May 2008, 22:03   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On horses, yes, but motorbikes, no; I never remember seeing such a thing!

Of course, the fact that they will probably we wearing full 'leathers', and will change into the skirt when they get there, might have something to do with that.

(And women still do wear skirts and dresses in the West!)

(I don't think British bikes even have that special footrest on the side. But then, I've never been a bike rider)
True. I might add that in case of motorbikes, its impossible for them to sit the 'normal' way even while driving (of course VERY few women like to ride bikes anyways!) But on scooter-type vehicles, being a driver is of course possible in any attire.
And yes skirts are stil worn in the west but not as 'standard' an attire as opposed to say 3-4 decades ago.

Last edited by Stanher : 19th May 2008 at 22:05.
Old 20th May 2008, 01:31   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

As in, there are a lot more people who feel free not to do so, yes. If you added a few more decades, though, you'd probably be safer.

Of course, if you were to ask me if I'd ever seen a sari-wearing woman on a motor bike in London....

Old 21st June 2008, 13:41   #30
BHPian

Crazy Drivers/Parents

I saw a crazy thing in Pune today...

A father driving a SX4 ZXI, wife on side in the passenger seat and 4 -5 year old son sitting on the mothers lap and prancing around.

I dread to think what might happen if they have the misfortune to crash and the airbags deploy.... don't people know that if you have an airbag you should never have a child in front, much less sitting on another persons lap !

I thought this must be something that's definitely specified in Bold in the car manual, or atleast a basic warning provided to users when the car is sold to them.

Most Viewed