Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 10:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
...btw what car do you own ? If it was fast, you could have shot by them and proved it, you have a better car and you are a better driver.
Its an Alto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ignorance is the best comeback to these types. Especially when you are with your family, just drive on.
Couldn't have put it better!

Sometimes you just have to pack your pride and learn to look at the other side; which is very hard, but has to be done! Always looking back at such stiffs, you will know that, at the end, your loss was a lot more than your gain!
Old 16th February 2008, 10:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Silence will win here rather verbal words on such stupid people. In Bangalore I see lot of such people create that kind of scene and its non sense thing.

For no reason they do mistake and try to pass that on others. Few of such funny/dangerous guys carry weapons/guns/pistool so its better to be cool rather than acting on the scene.

I see and face such incidents once a while and try my best to cool down the situation rather than creating more heat. VJ you did right thing in this situation i do agree it frustrates but can't help much about it.

We read similar stories in news paper regularly now a days. so it has become common thing very sad.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 16th February 2008 at 10:46.
Old 16th February 2008, 11:22   #18
BHPian

[quote=VJ_MAVRICK;724784 I have predominantly noted down in Bangalore that some people are so volatile and come back @ you for no fault of our own and the only mantra they follow is that talking aloud in kannada abusing the victim making it look like they are right and the others are wrong and unfortunately just like me many other souls who are not well versed in kannada bear the brunt. I guess their inner conscience is all dead a way too long back.
[/quote]

Sad Incident . Very common . Have experienced it in Mumbai. Delhi / Gurgaon, Bangalore, Pune and Chennai.

best thing is to ignore and move on. Winding down window and shouting is asking for trouble.

Road rage happens all over the World even in places where nobody knows there is a language called Kannada , which exists in India.

To say that even inner conscience is dead , for people who speak kannada is taking things bit too far IMO. Do you really expect to hear Mandarin on streets of bangalore?

dont you think you are generalising things too much here? ( and also sounding holier than though ) . I am sure there is road rage even in the city where your mother tongue is spoken.

Last edited by w 12 : 16th February 2008 at 11:25.
Old 16th February 2008, 11:45   #19
BHPian

@VJ_MAVERICK: bad incident, sadly one that is becoming more prevalent these days. Ignoring them and keeping your cool is the best thing as you have rightly done.

A similar incident i faced:
A couple of months back, i was driving at a sedate speed near BSK 2nd stage complex. As you might know, cars are usually parked on the side. One such indica taxi driver suddenly opened his door completely in order to get out. He was also busy speaking on his mobile.

I had to brake hard and by instinct also swerved a little to the right. Thank God there was no other high speed traffic either behind me or from the front. It also helped that I was keeping a good buffer space between my car and the line of parked cars.

Since the car had stopped by this time, i just looked in the direction of the taxi driver. Imagine my shock when he started abusing me! My little daughter was with me at that time, so i simply kept my cool and drove off.
Old 16th February 2008, 12:28   #20
BHPian

What an irony !

The bad - do bad, behave bad, speak bad and continue doing bad without realising ( does these brains process anything ? ) what bad they had done !

The Good - helpless - can't do good, can't speak, forced to be cool, maintain dignity and let blood boil seated squirmly and let things happen over and over !

The bad continue doing bad not because they are bad, but because the good are NOT DOING anything about it ! I know it is easier said than done but isn't there any other medium ? Do these guys understand the meaning of the word ' culture' ?
Old 16th February 2008, 13:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
... To say that even inner conscience is dead , for people who speak kannada is taking things bit too far IMO. Do you really expect to hear Mandarin on streets of bangalore?

dont you think you are generalising things too much here? ( and also sounding holier than though ) . I am sure there is road rage even in the city where your mother tongue is spoken.

I did not see any place where VJ generalized. As I see it, he was referring to those set of people who take advantage on people who do not know the local language when there is an issue. I do not see a need to be worried about being pointed at, unless one does these cheap tactics to get away with ones wrong doing!

Another point which you made about this happening in all places, true, agree with you on that. But the degree at which it happens in any other part of the country seems to be less. Have you ever seen anyone, who does not know the local language, face such issue very often apart from Bangalore? It might happen in Delhi / Gurgaon / Chennai etc, but the frequency and the chances of something like this happening is very low there (lets not take truck drivers / auto drives and those set of people here. we are talking about supposedly educated people.)

I have driven my KA registered vehicle in many places in TN & KL and in no place was I ever made to feel that I am driving an outside state vehicle. No discrimination. But for the few weeks of me driving a TN registered vehicle in BNG, and man, even the cyclist felt that they have more rights on road!

And, once again i say, all this is against those 'half brained' set of people who does these thing (drive like maniac, blame the other, zero road courtesy, et la...) and not generalizing to the rest. So no need to let it hurt you if you do not fall into the said category.
Old 16th February 2008, 14:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

I recently had a brush with a Merc E Class driven by a middle aged man wearing a suit & tie on the Mumbai Pune Highway at around 8:00 Pm...I was driving home alone from office & this guy comes in charging from behind blaring the horn & flicking the lights like a man possessed & literally tried to fly over my Wagon R....I couldnot do much as I was hemmed by a huge trailer in front & a ST bus on my side, but this guy would just not let go, any way I managed to find a slight gap on the left & gave this man a run for his money for the next 10 Km or so till i needed to turn left for home..but all the way this guy neither quit honking...nor lowered his lights.....and the last I saw of him was charging over the flyover behind a Swift...
Old 16th February 2008, 17:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
VJ, sorry to hear about the frustrating incident & I must congratulate you on the restraint that you displayed. Glad that it didn't snowball into anything further.
Yea suman my restraint though agonisingly painful @ that time definitely saw me through that lest it would have been an altercation i would have definitely regretted later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
very unfortunate incident VJ. people will never accept a fault / mistake when they make it. and yes, the standard approach here is to blame the other guy - turn the whole dam table!

being here has another disadvantage to it, if you don't speak kannada, you are in dead trouble. even if the other person is an educated person (with all those tie / cooling glass / and all accessories you can think of which might lead you to mistake him for a cultured fellow) he will stand there as if he does not understand a word of English and stick to kannada. Maybe this is just to get support. To top this, I know few of my Mallu friends who also resort to this tactic just because of their fluency in the language!

i recently had a guy, who tried to squeeze his bike between another car and my car (both traveling on opposite directions); it resulted in his handle hitting my side mirror and breaking it. that moron did not even bother to acknowledge or for that fact even give a second look!
Yea Happy Wheels You are damn right about garnering local support and i had witnessed and noticed such dramatization of gaining local support when i was with some of my friends and those were cab drivers and luckily that time there were a few local pals who counteracted their tirades. Yea! everyone makes mistakes so do i and if i do i acknowledge by saying sorry and apologising and that expectation is minimal for me however it turned out an altogether different thing and the best i could do was stay calm and thank heavens my family were fine and they were there to cool me down and not escalate the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I have advise for you. It is better not to do what 1100D did. That guy could also find your address and come with an army of friends and beat you up.

I think that is gang like attitude. If there was no accident, just leave it.

Driving on the road is dangerous and many people do not know how to cut lanes.

btw what car do you own ? If it was fast, you could have shot by them and proved it, you have a better car and you are a better driver.
I aint planning to report and you are damn right there and its a pity that i had to go through this but again patience and restraint are very important in such incidents and luckily i got the better off this maverick for sure

I own an alto and its a damn quickie car thanks to the 1.1 engine and also performance mods done on it, surely i think their ego was hurt seeing my ride for sure and they went bereserk. anyways i slept over it now.
Old 16th February 2008, 17:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexister View Post
Not nice to hear such incidents but one sees these happening more often these days.

Better to play safe & back off when someone tries to provoke. They could very well be doing it only to create a scene especially when one is driving with women in the car.
You are damn right on as its a provocation beyond remorse or regret and the best is to hold your nerve and see through it.

Quote:
Ignorance is the best comeback to these types. Especially when you are with your family, just drive on.
Yea GTO ,in such incidents ignorance is bliss and could not agree much as if i were a bit mercurial whoa...whoa...it would have been untowardly different and a mere waste of emotions @ a wrong place with all the wrong people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

For no reason they do mistake and try to pass that on others. Few of such funny/dangerous guys carry weapons/guns/pistool so its better to be cool rather than acting on the scene.
Yea Ravi, given the situation i was in , you never know what were these people upto

Quote:
Sad Incident . Very common . Have experienced it in Mumbai. Delhi / Gurgaon, Bangalore, Pune and Chennai.

best thing is to ignore and move on. Winding down window and shouting is asking for trouble.

Road rage happens all over the World even in places where nobody knows there is a language called Kannada , which exists in India.

To say that even inner conscience is dead , for people who speak kannada is taking things bit too far IMO. Do you really expect to hear Mandarin on streets of bangalore?

Brother w-12 i ain't generalizing here and having stayed on in Bangalore for around 3 years and had personally experienced and witnessed such incidents i stated that and i ain't playing the HOLY FATHER FIGURE here to garner support. Though you like it or not its a fact and such morons are incorrigible be it here in Bangalore or even any other part of the world.

I aint playing down Bangalore or for that matter Kannadigas and i do agree that road rage is a menace in every nook and corner of the world. My agony is on the attitude people exhibited last night and as a matter of fact its on the rise in Bangalore (yes ! because i stay here and witnessed) whether you concur on this or not. Being there and experiencing such incidents matter and i suppose you totally got me wrong. Its not about the specifics of the place or a section of the people speaking a language i referred to matters. Its the attitude, arrogance and intransigence of such lunatics ticks me off and it will no matter in Bangalore or any other part of the world. This is my inference and i stick to it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
@VJ_MAVERICK: bad incident, sadly one that is becoming more prevalent these days. Ignoring them and keeping your cool is the best thing as you have rightly done.

A similar incident i faced:
A couple of months back, i was driving at a sedate speed near BSK 2nd stage complex. As you might know, cars are usually parked on the side. One such indica taxi driver suddenly opened his door completely in order to get out. He was also busy speaking on his mobile.

I had to brake hard and by instinct also swerved a little to the right. Thank God there was no other high speed traffic either behind me or from the front. It also helped that I was keeping a good buffer space between my car and the line of parked cars.

Since the car had stopped by this time, i just looked in the direction of the taxi driver. Imagine my shock when he started abusing me! My little daughter was with me at that time, so i simply kept my cool and drove off.
Yea Sreenidhi! I also fail to understand why people can't take basic common sense into account and that was the best thing you could do.

@ HappyWheels: You are exact on the facts dude about people's indifference to other state vehicles and in particular the cops here make a feast out those souls.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th February 2008 at 22:31. Reason: Try to use the Multi-quote button mate, rather than makin N no. of posts to answer everyone.
Old 16th February 2008, 18:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I did not see any place where VJ generalized. As I see it, he was referring to those set of people who take advantage on people who do not know the local language when there is an issue. I do not see a need to be worried about being pointed at, unless one does these cheap tactics to get away with ones wrong doing!

I have driven my KA registered vehicle in many places in TN & KL and in no place was I ever made to feel that I am driving an outside state vehicle.

And, once again i say, all this is against those 'half brained' set of people who does these thing (drive like maniac, blame the other, zero road courtesy, et la...) and not generalizing to the rest. So no need to let it hurt you if you do not fall into the said category.
If you have an accident in Bangalore, do you expect the other person to learn your mother tongue , so that you can interact with him better? If you do then all I can say is high hopes.

Some one who knows the local language definitely has an advantage, in any city. Speak in Hindi or Kannada in Chennai , if you have a similar incident and try your luck.

If you have an accident in Delhi , chances are that police and public will talk to you only in Hindi. try speaking to them in only in Malayalam or Kannada and see if they accomodate you.

And please stop asking stupid questions like " when did you stop beating your wife " . You have already assumed guilt of all kannadigas and on top of it trying to act smart , by saying that one should feel bad only if one falls into that category. Just to reiterate not evryone who speaks the local language is a thug.

My point is this sort of incident is not specific to Bangalore or Karnataka or Kannadigas. And i stick to this point.

KA vehicles are not checked in TN ? That is a hilarious assumption.
Old 16th February 2008, 19:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have an accident in Bangalore, do you expect the other person to learn your mother tongue , so that you can interact with him better? If you do then all I can say is high hopes.

Some one who knows the local language definitely has an advantage, in any city. Speak in Hindi or Kannada in Chennai , if you have a similar incident and try your luck.

If you have an accident in Delhi , chances are that police and public will talk to you only in Hindi. try speaking to them in only in Malayalam or Kannada and see if they accomodate you.

And please stop asking stupid questions like " when did you stop beating your wife " . You have already assumed guilt of all kannadigas and on top of it trying to act smart , by saying that one should feel bad only if one falls into that category. Just to reiterate not evryone who speaks the local language is a thug.

My point is this sort of incident is not specific to Bangalore or Karnataka or Kannadigas. And i stick to this point.

KA vehicles are not checked in TN ? That is a hilarious assumption.
Whoa whoa! W-12 chill and relax dude, you are taking too much offence and HappyWheels is talking about morons on the roads of bangalore with ZERO road courtesy and for that matter driving etiquette and he is entitled to his opinion just as you and me.
These things happen in every city with the localites ganging up together to victimize the non localite and it does happen in any city however the frequency of such incidents happening in Bangalore is on the higher side and its a fact and maybe you are seeing too many Bangy Tbhpians putting down such incidents here on the forum than any other city. As i recall another team bhpain Aditya (A Bangalorean by birth but currently working in Chennai and he bore the brunt from Chennaites on many a time), so its not state and city specific as you are deciphering.

Having said that, this happened to one of my friend in Bellandur as he was coming home from office on his pulsar inside the bylanes. A Scorpio comes out on the wrong side (imagine in a narrow lane) and my pal expressed his displeasure as to cant you see in telugu ( we guys are andhrites) and i say he has a right to say as it was the scorpio guys fault. And damn those Scorpio weirdos abused him in telugu cussing him about his region,state,place (though they are localites as they are familiar with it) bashed up thoroughly and he had an upper lip cut and bruises and my pal the poor soul was just 10 days away from his marriage when this happened. It was a sad state of affair and having witnessed and experienced such incidents personally i know the agony in being a non localite and such things are uncalled for and unwarranted.
Though you agree or not its a fact that such cases in Bangalore are on the rise and its a fact and i aint saying to play Bangy down as i love this place just as many other cities that i had been around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
What an irony !

The bad - do bad, behave bad, speak bad and continue doing bad without realising ( does these brains process anything ? ) what bad they had done !

The Good - helpless - can't do good, can't speak, forced to be cool, maintain dignity and let blood boil seated squirmly and let things happen over and over !

The bad continue doing bad not because they are bad, but because the good are NOT DOING anything about it ! I know it is easier said than done but isn't there any other medium ? Do these guys understand the meaning of the word ' culture' ?
The bad would never realise that and the good would never pass on the buck for obvious reasons and such lunatic acts are deemed worthless and abhorred by many but when faced the situation @ hand its certainly uncalled for any further escalation as it snowbals into an altercation where one has to deal with many people around . To me last night was a painful experience but it was blessing in disguise that i opted out to stay calm cooling my nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I was driving home alone from office & this guy comes in charging from behind blaring the horn & flicking the lights like a man possessed & literally tried to fly over my Wagon R....I couldnot do much as I was hemmed by a huge trailer in front & a ST bus on my side, but this guy would just not let go, any way I managed to find a slight gap on the left & gave this man a run for his money for the next 10 Km or so till i needed to turn left for home..but all the way this guy neither quit honking...nor lowered his lights.....and the last I saw of him was charging over the flyover behind a Swift...
The key to such situations is being cool and smartly ignorant as such demonics just drive thinking that they own the roads. I personally feel that the major problem lies in the root of issuing licenses here in India as its very shockingly administered unlike in the states and other countries where the IP issuance and then DL is altogether an assessment of how much safety you adhere to and the rules that one follows. Wish such structure is implemented with a reckoning and certainly if not all @least quite a number of people will stick to them.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th February 2008 at 22:32. Reason: Please use the Multi-quote option in future.
Old 17th February 2008, 11:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Very rightly said GTO. There is no point arguing with such people unless ofcourse it becomes absolutely necessary.
Old 17th February 2008, 15:29   #28
BHPian

Honda Civic teaches civic sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This is more common with more Astra's Cielo's etc as they are very easily available at very cheap prices in the used car market. Usually some end up buying these to exhibit impression of prosperity, without showing the signs of acquiring culture on the way to it.
And buying a costly Honda Civic teaches civic and road sense automagically? The other day I was coming to NH-8 from Udyog Vihar-4. The left turn from NH-8 to Udyog Vihar is not allowed and to my surprise a decent looking, smartly dressed gentleman turned his Civic towards me from NH-8. I stopped there but did not give him the way and pulled my hand brake up. He was also not in a hurry and stopped there to wait. An Indicab driver behind me told that guy about no-entry but instead driver got abused by that gentleman holding a really big phone in his hand.

Soon there were a couple of vehicles behind our cars and everyone was honking like mad. As I had to rush to Anand Vihar, I gave up. Civic guy pulled away his car silently but a bengali lady in her Alto behind Civic, who was also taking that wrong turn, blasted me! I told her politely - "Madam, this is no entry" and she yells - "I come and go from here daily, don't tell me what is allowed or what is not, mind your own business or I will start shouting!"

Another event the very next day. I was driving on old delhi road towards gurgaon in the right lane. Suddenly a Wagon-R comes from the sec-21 approach road on my right and takes the right turn on old delhi road. I was mentally prepared for this and brake hard to avert the bang. Now, all the ladies and one gentleman in the car start shouting at me as if I was the culprit. Isn't the responsibility rests with driver on approach road to merge safely into the main road?

I am really surprised these days and sometimes I think that I don't know driving at all because I give way to traffic on my right at roundabouts, I respect traffic signals, I always park car in parkings and don't save 5-10 bucks whenever I go to the Big Bikanerwala or malls or markets or wherever in order to avoid chaos on already choked roads and in return I get to hear honkings and abuses from others.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

VJ, that was very wise of you to show restraint. My only request is to show the same level headedness when your family is not with you. They are still waiting for you somewhere, right?

Morons are on the rise everywhere. Last week a guy on a two wheeler started abusing me when i honked at him to make him move from the rightmost lane, as he was doing something like 30kmph. I just rolled up my windows and turned up the volume when he parked his bike in front of me and started shouting something in Kannada. Poor fellow had no choice but to move when traffic started piling up behind me. Hehe... probably his day got ruined and mine got made!
Old 18th February 2008, 11:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
VJ, that was very wise of you to show restraint. My only request is to show the same level headedness when your family is not with you. They are still waiting for you somewhere, right?

Morons are on the rise everywhere. Last week a guy on a two wheeler started abusing me when i honked at him to make him move from the rightmost lane, as he was doing something like 30kmph. I just rolled up my windows and turned up the volume when he parked his bike in front of me and started shouting something in Kannada. Poor fellow had no choice but to move when traffic started piling up behind me. Hehe... probably his day got ruined and mine got made!
Yea Amit you are damn right and i decided not to react to such morons on the road as they provoke you and take you to the edge. I love my ride as anyone on this forum and will not spoil my mood for some weirdo with lunatic acts in his mind every other sec as its always wise and better to remain calm and composed for the sake of your loved ones.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks