Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2008, 11:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

whoa whoa!..if MNS topic creeps in here definitely this will get "Thread Raged" as DirtyDan suggested. That is a very very sensitive issue and lets not flare things up here and keep the posts related to driving alone
Old 19th February 2008, 11:59   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Why should it be Hindi , at the expense of others?
Because there should be a "common" means of communication with people who do not belong to a particular state.

Hindi is not my mother tongue but I'm OK with using it to speak in places where I don't speak the local language.

I would not advocate using an Eastern language across the length & breadth of India simply because I'm from the Eastern part of the country. To me, that would be senseless.

NOTE: But, I'm out of here because you're turning this thread into a tirade against those who do not advocate using Southern languages as a means of communication in the South....rather than as a place to discuss the hooliganism that VJ faced, which was despicable & non-condonable in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Anyway, so dude, what IS your gripe? I fail to understand that. Clearly no one can blame VJ here for keeping his cool in the incident that started this thread. The way i see it, its quite simple. Morons in white astra abuse him, he keeps cool and manages to walk away with his head held high. Now if you think there might have been another side to that story, then there isnt much that can be done about it, is it? Unless you want to go hunt down the astra guy, get him to register here (if he isnt already a member), and ask him to give his side of the story. Without that, you really dont have a leg to stand on, IMHO.

Peace out, dude.

Last edited by suman : 19th February 2008 at 12:07.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:02   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
I think commenting or questioning some one's bad behavior or in this case bad driving is definitely not escalating the issue and its every man's right.
Nobody is questioning your freinds right to escalate bad behavious on road .He has as much right as any one else. he could have noted down the number and given a police complaint as well.

But using Telugu in Bangalore is as effective as using Kannada in Kolkata. But I guess, to each his own.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:02   #79
BANNED

Somebody makes 5 arguments. 2 of them are insane. But 3 are valids ones and shouldn't be masked by the insane ones. These 3 need a fair hearing. Maybe due issues of 3 valid arguments, the other 2 insane arguments were made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Dont even get me started on that. India is a free country, and we are have the right to live in any state as we please. Else, lets decide not to call it one country at all.

Last from me on this. Quite a sensitive topic.

Last edited by diabloo : 19th February 2008 at 12:11.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. To assume that Hindi is or should be the common platform to communicate is stupid IMO. Similarly why not Oriya or Bengali ? Why not make Tamil the common platform to communicate in delhi? Or malayalam the platform in Mumbai? Why should it be Hindi , at the expense of others?

2. In that case please stick to commenting on the subject , not my state of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Some points raised by head honcho of MNS are valid too.
Boy are we totally OT here or what!

w 12, in a major city like Bangalore, it is regressive to expect everyone who comes here to learn the local language. It is not a village or a small town, is it?

Oh look i also went OT.

Anyway, so dude, what IS your gripe? I fail to understand that. Clearly no one can blame VJ here for keeping his cool in the incident that started this thread. The way i see it, its quite simple. Morons in white astra abuse him, he keeps cool and manages to walk away with his head held high. Now if you think there might have been another side to that story, then there isnt much that can be done about it, is it? Unless you want to go hunt down the astra guy, get him to register here (if he isnt already a member), and ask him to give his side of the story. Without that, you really dont have a leg to stand on, IMHO.

Peace out, dude.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:14   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Boy are we totally OT here or what!

1. w 12, in a major city like Bangalore, it is regressive to expect everyone who comes here to learn the local language. It is not a village or a small town, is it?

2. anyway, so dude, what IS your gripe? I fail to understand that. Clearly no one can blame VJ here for keeping his cool in the incident that started this thread. The way i see it, its quite simple. Morons in white astra abuse him, he keeps cool and manages to walk away with his head held high. Now if you think there might have been another side to that story, then there isnt much that can be done about it, is it? Unless you want to go hunt down the astra guy, get him to register here (if he isnt already a member), and ask him to give his side of the story. Without that, you really dont have a leg to stand on, IMHO.

Peace out, dude.
1.On the other hand , is it progressive to expect every one else in Bangalore to learn your language ? One should try and adapt to the city one immigrates to , not the other way round.

2. Who is blaming VJ for walking away from the spat ? I also commended him for doing that , as I know it is not worth fighting with morons on road.

VJs post No.10 of this thread suddenly started talking about locals speaking kannada ganging up , when there is absolutely no mention of the language used by the astra occupants in the first post. For all you know they might be speaking shuddh hindi or bhojpuri. I have an issue with that.

My point is the Local language is not the issue here, Road rage is . So dragging in kannada and locals is ridiculous.

Peace .
Old 19th February 2008, 12:15   #82
Team-BHP Support

With this thread we are not only going OT but are also not in accordance with the rules of the board as this is a subjective topic with no end and different viewpoints leading to members having a tiff which is not really different than what VJ faced on the road.

Here's rule number 13 for people who missed it.

Quote:
13. Discussions involving politics or religion are to be avoided, due to their highly subjective nature which can lead to volatile and inconclusive debates.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

Guys time out time out!

Guess the thread itself is getting 'raged'.

Looks at Suman post (#77) - now how the hell did he get to quote Amitoj's post (#80)???? Time travel???

Last edited by HappyWheels : 19th February 2008 at 12:18.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:18   #84
BANNED

The problem is not with situation VJ faced, but with conclusions drawn out it, which are the bone of contention.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vid! I guess folks are aware of the same and since i started the thread i will take the initiative of it not letting Off Topic into sensitive issues which is totally uncalled for.

Guys Relax! Do not deviate from the essence of original thread which is used to comment on the reckless attitude of people on the roads and why is it such a nuisance? Do post likewise experiences alone .
Old 19th February 2008, 12:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.On the other hand , is it progressive to expect every one else in Bangalore to learn your language ? One should try and adapt to the city one immigrates to , not the other way round.
Actually, yes it is! Look at China. English was not a common language there but they filled up stadiums to learn it because that is what the need of the hour is. They realised that rest of the world isnt gonna learn Chinese

And btw, i have also personally witnessed "locals speaking kannada ganging up". Its a fact and cant be denied.

Last edited by amitoj : 19th February 2008 at 12:28.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:27   #87
Senior - BHPian

You did the right thing as you were with family.

Nowadays, Bangalore seems to have changed. I have been experiencing many rude/ unethical behaviour in recent times.

Strength is the only saviour in some unavoidable situations. Renewed my membership with gym yesterday. Hope to be regular from now on. Tummy showing signs of prosperity.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:33   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
1. Because there should be a "common" means of communication with people who do not belong to a particular state.

2. Hindi is not my mother tongue but I'm OK with using it to speak in places where I don't speak the local language.

4. NOTE: But, I'm out of here because you're turning this thread into a tirade against those who do not advocate using Southern languages as a means of communication in the South....rather than as a place to discuss the hooliganism that VJ faced, which was despicable & non-condonable in the first place.

1. Noble Idea. but the question is what should be that common means in Chennai or Cochin or Bangalore?

2. Good for you. Your underlying assumption is that everyone will know Hindi in addition to local language. Which is not true .

3. You are welcome to your deductions and assumptions. All I am saying is that this is road rage, common to most cities of India, and local language and local people need not be dragged into discuss the larger issue.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:36   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
You did the right thing as you were with family.

Nowadays, Bangalore seems to have changed. I have been experiencing many rude/ unethical behaviour in recent times.

Strength is the only saviour in some unavoidable situations. Renewed my membership with gym yesterday. Hope to be regular from now on. Tummy showing signs of prosperity.
Yea ! Thats a truth that off late the imbeciles lurking on Bangy roads are definitely on the rise. Initially, i thought it was only autowallah's and the cabbie drivers who topped the charts but definitely now the next door individual too has joined their ranks
Old 19th February 2008, 12:41   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, yes it is! Look at China. English was not a common language there but they filled up stadiums to learn it because that is what the need of the hour is. They realised that rest of the world isnt gonna learn Chinese

And btw, i have also personally witnessed "locals speaking kannada ganging up". Its a fact and cant be denied.
LOL. If China is an example of Progressive Democracy for you, I have nothing further to say. Have you heard of Tiannamen Square or the cultural revolution?

And the rest of the world, who want to do business with China is certainly learning chinese.

Chinese are catching up on english to have a go at the outsourcing pie, now enjoyed by India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks