Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 14:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rocks on road!!

This happened a couple of days back.
I was driving sedately on the highway to hell(our very own G.Noida expressway).
When I say sedately, it was late at night and I was around 90kmph in the center lane.
Moments before people doing much faster speeds crossed me.
A couple of kms before the greater noida checkpost, the streetlights were switched off, however I could see the road well and kept the 80-90 speed.
Then suddenly in the headlights I thought I saw something on the road in front of me, something which resembled a concrete block.
Before I could react I heard a sickening crunch, and the car was airborn, with front wheels in air. The wheels did not hit anything, but the car underbody did, and so the launch. with an agonized wham the front wheels landed an I suspected the worst.
Immediately afterward the car started making weird noises esp at certain rpms, and I suspected that the silencer had come loose, along with lots of other things(it was a big impact!).
anyways I did not stop there and just prayed that I reach the police checkpost, its not a good idea to stop on that highway.

2 kms hence at the checkpost I got down, and looked underneath, with the flash from my mobile phone acting as my torch.
Could see nothing just noises.
I had to take her to service next day, so with a prayer drove back.

Next morning I go to my mechanic and tell him silencer is busted.
He says nope, seems like something else as the backpressure is okay(he tested with his hand on the tailpipe exit!).
After inspection it was revealed.
A crossmember, whose job is to aid in cornering stability and stiffness had bent to touch the tailpipe, hence the weird vibration noise.
It took 20 minutes to replace and cost 175rs.
To be safe he hoisted up the car and checked the tie rods/steering linkage etc., etc., and the sump for any injury.
On the bent crossmember, there were the marks of concrete, but no other part of the underbody had any marks.
I guess it was a lucky save, if that block had hit the sump or something it would have been very bad!.
After this incident I am half inclined to put illegal xenons on my car.
I know they are blinding but to see rocks on the road, you need something as bright as the sun.
But one thing is sure, Tata sure makes their cars tough. The impact was such that the car was lifted in air, but no other rod or linkage bent even slightly.
I got the alignment also checked just to be sure, and thats also perfect.
Old 18th February 2008, 14:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This is what happens when people who havent the slightest idea of what it means to drive a vehicle, are in road management. Once, on the way to work, I was aghast to suddenly find a brand new crater filled with - wait for this, bricks thrown (not arranged) in to fill it. This stretch didnt have this crater the previous day. Sure enough, I reversed (it was a half-lane road with this crater encompassing it) back and detoured 2 kms.
Old 18th February 2008, 14:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

I remember a similar incident when my old Indica V2 went over a concrete block in the middle of the road. Both wheels were in the air and the cars underbody was resting on the block. Luckily there was absolutely no damage. I had to ask for help to push the car down from the block as both the front wheels were in air.

This is one reason I have put high intensity bulbs in my Indigo. It is rude, but for my own safety and for the safety of my passengers, I care less if my headlights are hitting somebody elses eyes, who is not even bothered about safety.
Old 18th February 2008, 14:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rocks on the roads are a big menace indeed.
Its a good thing you were in a car. I can tell you what the experience would have been had you been on a two wheeler.
Old 18th February 2008, 14:37   #5
BHPian

Truck drivers keep the concrete slabs and stones on the road when the vehicle breaks down and ignore to remove it when they move away. I have faced with the same fate when my oil sump cracked (the impact passed through the steel guard to the the sump and craked it) Had a leaking sump a little after Gundelpet middle of nowhere and had to reach Calicut and the time was 11 pm! Total Loss - Rs.5500 for sump and 8 Lts of Engine oil that had to keep poring at intervals until I reached Calicut.
Old 18th February 2008, 14:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Reminds me of my experience in Mysore road where I hit a rock placed to warn people about an accident. I saw the overturned truck on time, but not the rocks to warn about it. As usual some stupid people thought they were doing a favour by placing dark rocks on a tar road at midnight to warn people. I lost the fuel pump, and had to cancel my weekend trip.

BTW, rocks on road are normal in Agumbe Ghat, lots of mini-truckwallas never bother to move it after using it during road-side repairs.
Old 18th February 2008, 14:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Damn! You're lucky to get away with minimal damage and with no untoward incident on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Had a leaking sump a little after Gundelpet middle of nowhere and had to reach Calicut and the time was 11 pm!
THats taking too much of a chance. Where did you find engine oil in the middle of the forest at that time ? And how did the Forest Guards let a private car through at night? You really shouldnt have carried on.
Old 18th February 2008, 15:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Rocks on the roads are a big menace indeed.
Its a good thing you were in a car. I can tell you what the experience would have been had you been on a two wheeler.
As for two wheelers I read in newspaper. Unmarked construction of bus corridor in Delhi has claimed lives of 2 bikers in recent times.
Old 18th February 2008, 15:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

How can people be so stupid as not to remove the stones from the road after thay are done with their repair jobs?! These would anyhow not bother those who drive bigger vehicles as much as it bothers those who drive cars.
Old 18th February 2008, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

It always amazes me as to why people are so reluctantly ignorant about such things. After all it can be very dangerous and who knows even the concerned person (workers, truck drivers who placed them) can be @ the receiving end as well. Thank heavens Tanveer that nothing untoward had happened and as Amit mentioned, needless to say what would have been the consequences for two wheeler riders?
Old 18th February 2008, 15:59   #11
BHPian

What a time for this thread!!!

Hit a rock yesterday at speeds close to 5kph...
I was following a tipper truck on a road which I took an hour ago and slowed down as I knew the approaching speed breaker., the truck went over showering some sand and stones and the next moment I hear a thud.

Swift does not move and people are shouting, fearing the worst I get down to see a big rock logged in front of right suspension(front). I try to reverse and car gets going after a slight struggle, was cursing myself lots that I managed not to move the stone over (realised after parking and checking for damages). There are some minor scratches on the front beam and bumper bottom scraped.

No issues with handling or anything, planning to get it checked tomorrow.
Please let me know what all needs to be checked.
Old 18th February 2008, 16:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,

Glad you came out unscathed and the car made it through as well.

As a rule - I never drive behind Dumpers/Trippers and trucks that transport garbage in Mumbai. Those dumpers always have some sand and small stones that fly everywhere when the truck flies through pot holes damaging the bonnets of the cars behind.
Old 18th February 2008, 16:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Tanveer,

Glad you came out unscathed and the car made it through as well.

As a rule - I never drive behind Dumpers/Trippers and trucks that transport garbage in Mumbai. Those dumpers always have some sand and small stones that fly everywhere when the truck flies through pot holes damaging the bonnets of the cars behind.
I once ended up with a broken helmet visor thanks to a stone that flew out off the gap between a truck's rear tires.

Once the rear tire of a truck blew up and disintegrated, sending chunks of rubber behind.
Will never forget the feeling of dodging rubber at 90 kmph on a bike.

Keep Distance!
Old 18th February 2008, 16:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

I once saw on Mythbusters where they tested whether rubber debris from truck tires can decapacitate.
the answer was that if you get hit on the neck by a big chunk you will be killed instantly.
Infact at 40 miles/hour the debris can cleanly break through the car windows and incapacitate whoever it hits
Old 18th February 2008, 16:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happened to me some 4-5 years back , i was in my 2 years old zen in the city(patna) on a flyover, i was almost on the right lane and it was late night so no traffic i was doing 90-100 , suddenly i heard some big noise + very bad jerk, my head almost hit the roof of the car. then i lost control after 2-3 right/left turns and screeching tyres my car came to a halt. and then wat i saw was scary. there was a big boulder right next to the divider. my front tyre bust/rim was unrepairable and some more damages to brakes and suspension :(

Last edited by Rahulkool : 18th February 2008 at 16:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks