Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2008, 15:47   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

If its a Porsche its gotta be a 911

I always loved the way Porsches looked. Something distinctly sensual about their design. Am a big big fan of the 911 rear end!!!

My first drive in a 911 was with a Carrera 4 cabriolet manual transmission. You know there's something inexplicable about convertibles. Open top motoring is for nature lovers and romantics. Its too heady an experience. And when you are in one with a beautiful woman then perhaps you are treading into heaven..hahaha

The thunk of a 911's door is simply delicious. The first impression I got as I eased the Carrera onto open roads is how it felt like it was hewn from a solid block. I guess the germans are great at engineering that feel into their cars. It simply inspires confidence.

I remember what struck me most about the 911 was its imaculate gearing and shift, the literally point and shoot kind of acceleration that glorious boxer delivers and the hugely capable brakes. 911's without a doubt, in my opinion, have the best brakes in the business.

The steering felt so supremely well weighted, meaty and almost read the road like a laser. The 911 experience is one of precision engineering. They are so well made, almost faultless. The sound of the boxer is cultured, reasonably muted yet means business. There's nothing mild about a 911. Its acceleration is like lightning and overall it felt like the most useable supercar.

The second drive in a 911 was in a red Carrera 2 triptronic cabriolet. This time I was in a naughty mood and really wanted to experience something 911's are notorious for.

I reached a large roundabout in Dubai, it was in the afternoon so there was hardly any traffic, and started accelerating round the circle. I must've been doing 60 kmph, perhaps more, when I suddenly lifted the foot off the throttle only to have the tail come around 180 degrees. Now thats something the fainthearted would never want to experience.

911's are the ultimate sports cars that one can actually use every day. They are so useable, look stunning and are built like they'll last an eternity.

I didn't like the tiptronic...who wants a machine to change gears for you???

Unfortunately my drive in a Boxster was also with a tiptronic so I didn't enjoy it but I'm sure with the midengine config the on the edge handling of the Boxster must be supreme.

With 911's I have discovered you need to keep her rear end planted through turns by always powering through. Lift off at your peril!!

Last edited by DKG : 19th February 2008 at 16:04. Reason: triptronic to read as tiptronic
Old 19th February 2008, 22:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have driven a 964 Carrera 2. Relate to most things you said. My testdrive, thanks to a used car dealer friend, was on a rainy day (was a dry day which turned out to be rainy). The boxer howl is something very different, maybe one of the reasons I like the Subbys.

Gearshift was very precise for a then 10 year old car and as long as you had the throttle modulated right, it was a point and shoot machine. Infact it was fun to pre-turn lift up, and throttling after letting the tail have its say. All this at meager speeds of between 50-70 mph on a rainy day.

Read your Ferrari thread to, and can relate to the Bark vs Howl experiences. 964 Turbo has a different sound.

The other Porsche driven was also awesome but not a Porsche at all from the purists standpoint, it was the 968.

Last edited by 1100D : 19th February 2008 at 22:33.
Old 20th February 2008, 10:30   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I recall 944 Clubsport being rated very higly for its handling. Can we document the Porsches in India here?Also do we have someone knowledgeable about Porsches who can share info on different aspects of the marque over the years? I think it would be fun to encourage guys who dig different marques to share things here making all that info collective

Most Viewed