Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 14:21   #121
BHPian

Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I don't think we can come to any conclusion without being sure of how exactly the mishap happenend, but having seen how rashly these private TN buses (DTS Dolby DVD) are driven on Hosur Road, am sure the culprit is the Bus driver, he would have taken a blind turn without caring a damn for the oncoming traffic!
I do agree with the rash driving of these private TN buses (DTS Dolby DVD / Rolls Royce) Every morning I encounter the brainless way these drivers drive the bus. Near St Johns hospital these buses take the service road meant for traffic taking a free left, then at the last min they plough into the main road from the service road to merge back into the mainline traffic.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:26   #122
Senior - BHPian

I believe that the car guy would have mis-judged that the Bus will stop or he can sneak in before if comes. Because, you can clearly see the bus coming from the other side (unless the bus was damn fast and turned suddenly).
Or, the other reason may be, the friends was chatting some interesting topic and never put their eyes on the road.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:34   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
There was no signal at the junction. Why should a car anticipate the bus turn? Its bus's 100% responsibility to ensure that while getting into highway its safe for everyone. This country will go no where by blaming the car.
If you were driving that car, you would'nt be here to argue this case. So the responsibility is on EVERYONE. What's the point in killing yourself and trying to say it is OTHERS' responsibility?

So the trick is to ANTICIPATE and be on the SAFER side while driving....on which enough has been said in this forum.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 27th March 2008 at 14:41.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Yes, when we are driving on Indian roads & highways, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!
Old 27th March 2008, 14:49   #125
Senior - BHPian

Come on guys, we are living and driving in a country where an ex-President and cabinet minister of Govt of India have died in road accidents.

There is no point in blaming the other party if the end-result is the same - i.e. you end up being the dead guy. So drive safe and wear your seat belts.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:53   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Come on guys, we are living and driving in a country where an ex-President and cabinet minister of Govt of India have died in road accidents.

There is no point in blaming the other party if the end-result is the same - i.e. you end up being the dead guy. So drive safe and wear your seat belts.
Rightly said, spadival. BTW, I'm curious to know who those people are---the ex-Prez and the minister.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:54   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Yes, when we are driving on Indian roads & highways, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

Couldn't have put it better. There are all kinds of idiots one encounters on the roads in India... even idiots who fail to brake in time and rear end the car in front and then have the guts to ask for compensation from the car they just rear ended. So expecting a bus on the side of the road to turn suddenly is not really something new.
Old 27th March 2008, 15:04   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Rightly said, spadival. BTW, I'm curious to know who those people are---the ex-Prez and the minister.
Ex-Prez is Zail Singh. Ex-minister is Rajesh Pilot, who, ironically, was a Surface transport minister at one point!!

Also, add Sahib Singh Verma - Ex CM of Delhi to the list. The killers on our roads are very democratic indeed !!

Last edited by spadival : 27th March 2008 at 15:21. Reason: Corrected Jail to Zail
Old 27th March 2008, 15:09   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Ex-Prez is Jail Singh.

Don't you mean Zail Singh ? Did he die in a road accident ?
Old 27th March 2008, 15:14   #130
Team-BHP Support

Yup, he died in a road accident. His convoy of 2 cars was tearing through the punjab country roads as if they own the land(All cars with red light on top do that)
Sadly Fate does does not distinguish between the rich or poor, and he breathed his last in PGI Chandigarh
Old 27th March 2008, 15:14   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Don't you mean Zail Singh ? Did he die in a road accident ?
Yes, Gyani Zail Singh
Old 27th March 2008, 15:16   #132

From what I can remember of my college days, the legal stand is:

In case A & B are involved in a head-on collision, wherein B came on the wrong lane, or stopped where he was not supposed to or whatever, the law will hold that person responsible who had the 'last and final opportunity' to avoid the accident but FAILED to do so.

Thus irrspective of who was initially at fault (B in this case), the person who had the opportunity to avoid and failed to do so would be at fault.

Caveat: This is as per the general principles of law (only good for claiming compensation ) and may not apply in criminal law (like somebody conking off and involving possible imprisonment).

Just my 2 cents (and lots of words)...
Old 27th March 2008, 15:23   #133
Senior - BHPian

Reading all these, all one should understand is 'Anticipatory driving is the key to safety on Indian roads. Then comes the rest, like seat belts, airbags & ABS.'

Always look for guys in mopeds, buses, trucks, pedestrians who cross the highways... read their body language and expect the unexpected. Then you're probably safer. Sadly, many of the young, fast, enthusiastic drivers will only drive in this manner after they themselves face an accident.
Old 27th March 2008, 15:35   #134
Senior - BHPian

Since this thread started off with GQ (Blore - Cheenai) and a ACCIDENT, I am posting this news from 27th mar 08 times Of india Bangalore. Very disturbing news, young guys die in high speed crash. Any1 recognize him as a BHP'ian? Please share with all of us. --RIP--

---------
2 from city die in road crash

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: They wanted to reach Chennai’s Chepauk stadium before the toss for the first Test between India and South Africa on Wednesday. But fate tossed them into the jaws of death. Young entrepreneur Mohammed Nazir Sait and his friend Jayaraj were crushed to death in Krishnagiri when their car crashed into a Tamil Nadu government bus. Megha Trigha, a student who was travelling with them, sustained severe injuries.

Car did 90 km in one hour

Bangalore: Mohammed Nazir Sait, 24, — who died in the road accident in Krishnagiri — was the son of city-based businessman Yunus Mohammed. He was on his way to Chennai with friends Jayaraj (25), a resident of Wilson Garden, and Megha Trigha (21), BBA student and resident of Sanjaynagar. The trio left the city at 6 am and in just an hour they were in Krishnagiri, 90 km from the state capital. When they reached the Krishnagiri-Chennai bypass a, bus coming from Jolarpet got on to the wrong side and entered the highway.
Nazir, who was driving, lost control and rammed into the bus. Such was the impact that the bus was pushed 20 metres behind. The bus stopped only after ramming into a signal light pole. The front of the car was shattered and it caught fire. It took time for rescuers to pull the victims out.
The Krishnagiri police said Nazir and Jayaraj died on the spot, while Megha sustained severe injuries. She was shifted to a nearby hospital. “The girl was in shock and gave us the information much later. She said they were heading towards Chennai to watch the Test match,” police said.
Nazir’s family was close to Sachin Tendulkar and other star promoters of a leading shoe manufacturing company, for which Yunus Mohammed was a dealer. Sources told this paper that Nazir was to take part in the inauguration of a new shoe showroom in Chennai.
The bodies were handed over to the relatives after an autopsy in Krishnagiri government hospital. Megha was also shifted to Bangalore at night.

ALL THAT REMAINS

Md Nazir Sait

---------

Guys, how ever good the road is, Plz Plz dont over speed when you see any inhabited surroundings, House, small shops, road side hawkers, small village roads, anything/anybody can drive onto the mail road suddenly, Poor souls..!

RIP
Old 27th March 2008, 15:38   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkraja View Post
From what I can remember of my college days, the legal stand is:

In case A & B are involved in a head-on collision, wherein B came on the wrong lane, or stopped where he was not supposed to or whatever, the law will hold that person responsible who had the 'last and final opportunity' to avoid the accident but FAILED to do so.

Thus irrspective of who was initially at fault (B in this case), the person who had the opportunity to avoid and failed to do so would be at fault.

Caveat: This is as per the general principles of law (only good for claiming compensation ) and may not apply in criminal law (like somebody conking off and involving possible imprisonment).

Just my 2 cents (and lots of words)...

That makes sense, considering framing legal text considering all possibilities is tough. If you have stopped, you can't be going too fast. And if you hit someone, you were moving too fast. But what if both are moving? That opens a legal can of worms, doesn't it?

Most Viewed