Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2008, 00:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

M800 close encounter!

Exactly three days ago, this incident took place, where nothing really bad happened, but my heart stopped for a second when this incident took place!

well i was on a normal visit to necklace road with my friends, we usually go there for a chat and chai, we park in the empty ground opposite to P.V.Narshima Rao's burial place. So as usual we were parked and were chatting it was around 4pm and there are lot of kids as young 6-10years of age who go around selling chai and peanuts and playing cricket, and every thing was fine and as usual.

then after like 10-15mins one of the kids decided to cross the road and there were good number of vehicles that were cruising at around 50-60kmph, and in a few minutes gap a M800 comes along, the person was at around 80kmph i think and on seeing the kids playing in the ground, i guess he decided to slow down from a distance itself, honks his loud horn that actually caught our attention and lowered it to around 50-60kmph, and was cruising along. Now this stupid/dumb/idiot kid who was waiting patiently to cross over decided to play a stupid game i guess, he just jumps and tries to run fast but the car was already too close to brake at a sufficient distance and brakes with screeching brakes and hits the kid!

how ever intense be the moment when i thought the kid was just going to die there for a second, actually the car came down to a pretty low speeds and the kid happened to get hit and went on the bonnet, now there was not even a single bruise or a scratch to the kid!, he conveniently gets down the bonnet and runs away!

man the look on the person's face so shocking and he was terribly shaken for a moment, and immediately the person in the car with his wife i guess, just took off!, as he was afraid i guess! but the car did suffer a good dent on the bonnet!

the kid was around 9-10years old i guess and moments later his elder brother (i guess) playing in the field gets hold of him takes him away beating him on the way itself!

now for like 10 minutes i was like awestruck and totally clueless! ALL of this happened in less than 3 minutes!

after a while i wondered if the car had not slowed down from 80kmph which was done sense ably by the person, and if it had bull bar and the kid played this stupid game, i might have just witnessed the brutal injury or even the kid dying! and in the end the blame would totally have gone on the car guy even for no fault of his.and there is this basti these kids come from on the other side of the road had some thing happened to the kid the car guy would have got it properly i guess!

arrey bhai, what can we do if some so stupid decided to just jump in front of our vehicle and asks for a death wish?, and why is it always the badi gadi ka fault? damn man!

Last edited by rider60 : 24th February 2008 at 00:36.
Old 24th February 2008, 13:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is a good lesson to all of us car owners that there are a lot of dumb kids and adults all around, and we gotta drive safely.
Old 24th February 2008, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
if it had bull bar and the kid played this stupid game, i might have just witnessed the brutal injury or even the kid dying! and in the end the blame would totally have gone on the car guy
In my previous employer, even field vehicles that would go offroad, NEVER had bull bars (an oil and gas firm) ONLY for safety/pedestrian fundas.

Is it rocketscience that it doesnt come pre-installed from factory.

Bull bars kill pedestrians. Irrespective of anyone's stupidity, the bull bar doesnt know or care.
Old 24th February 2008, 15:19   #4
BHPian

The real problem is, when cars which can go at 80kmph and people who walk at 4kmph share the same place, it is always a chance that they collide. Now, pedestrians should be careful as well as car drivers, but ultimately, however careful one is, mistakes do happen and it is a very big price to pay in these occations.
So, my real point is, these roads etc should be built well, else, slow down the cars. Unfortunately, in India, most of the times, we resort to slowing down by having multiple humps etc, instead of focussing on designing better roads.
Old 24th February 2008, 21:26   #5
BHPian

Not only kids, if you see a group of cyclists, please be aware. Today i saw the roads pretty empty and the stupid freaks doing their stunts by leaving the handle bar and catching hands of each other. One of the moron lost balance and took support of my vehicle to get straight and luckily i was slow or else it would have been terrible and i would be blamed as i have bigger vehicle. So try to have one lane space wherever possible when crossing pedestrians or cyclists (esp if in groups).
Old 25th February 2008, 10:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Q: what can one do if someone comes and bangs into your vehicle.

A: Nothing, just pray you got some witnesses to prove so.
Old 25th February 2008, 12:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to install some camera on car to record driver's field of view.

That might come handy to prove that it was pedestrian at fault.
Old 25th February 2008, 12:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Is it possible to install some camera on car to record driver's field of view.

That might come handy to prove that it was pedestrian at fault.
I remember seeing an ad for a device that is basically a small digital video camera that sits on your dash and continuously records video... it stores the last 90seconds of video. It was marketed as being useful in situations like these / for insurance purposes etc.
I cant however remember what it was called or where i saw the ad!

cya
R
Old 25th February 2008, 12:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I remember seeing an ad for a device that is basically a small digital video camera that sits on your dash and continuously records video... it stores the last 90seconds of video. It was marketed as being useful in situations like these / for insurance purposes etc.
I cant however remember what it was called or where i saw the ad!

cya
R
somethign like those dash camera's on police vehicle in US. seems a great idea! would be very useful to prove your point - provided the people have the patience to look and you get out alive from a unruly crowd!

but what do you do when someone bangs you from the back / side?
Old 25th February 2008, 12:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
somethign like those dash camera's on police vehicle in US. seems a great idea! would be very useful to prove your point - provided the people have the patience to look and you get out alive from a unruly crowd!
Acually this camera i saw was designed specifically for this kind of use, so it does not even have a screen!

Quote:
but what do you do when someone bangs you from the back / side?
I guess another one facing backwards?

Either way, it was not such a great product. I have no idea how it stopped recording after the accident (shock sensor or if you had to push a button?) and it was overpriced for what it was. And 90 seconds is barely anything.

Im sure there are several other (better) solutions like this.

cya
R
Old 25th February 2008, 12:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

90 seconds seems too low.

Now a days, 2 GB storage flash costs 700 Rs, and that is enough to store 4 - 5 hours worth of video.

For the person who was driving 800, such footage can be a life saver.
Old 25th February 2008, 22:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

well to tell you guys the humor in the incident was the boy getting down quickly from the bonnet and looking side ways and staring at the driver for a moment like as if he just stole something and running away, as shocking it seemed at the moment to us and the m800 driver, was sort of funny too later on when i recollected it, the way the boy ran looked like he ran for his life just like brahma anandam runs away in our telugu movies!

if for get the cameras for a second that will prove useful in the court but what will the driver's fate at the incident be? he will be badly beaten and the croud will be uncontrollable at times and all that!

and by the way will the reverse cameras record too apart from showing the views as we can have one fitted to the rear bumper and one on the dash board! guys any info on this? well i also heard that a few HU models also come with a HDD and was just wondering!

Last edited by rider60 : 25th February 2008 at 22:29.
Old 26th February 2008, 08:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Oh tell me about it, I have been in one such similar incident. I was driving to my native and i entered a town on the way, i slowed to 40kmph. And this kid who was playing on the road suddenly comes into the way.
I had to brake hard even then i hit the kid and he was flung a good metre away from the car. Luckily he just got a few bruises and my car got a dent.
People gathered around and started to comment about it. Luckily many people saw that it was the kids fault and were scolding the kid.
But still i got down and to make my point clear i slapped the kid twice for all the mess he created and went on our way. I bet he learnt his lesson.
Old 26th February 2008, 08:51   #14
BHPian

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Oh tell me about it, I have been in one such similar incident. I was driving to my native and i entered a town on the way, i slowed to 40kmph. And this kid who was playing on the road suddenly comes into the way.
I had to brake hard even then i hit the kid and he was flung a good metre away from the car. Luckily he just got a few bruises and my car got a dent.
People gathered around and started to comment about it. Luckily many people saw that it was the kids fault and were scolding the kid.
But still i got down and to make my point clear i slapped the kid twice for all the mess he created and went on our way. I bet he learnt his lesson.
You slapped the kid even after he was hurt. You are pretty inhumane.
Old 26th February 2008, 09:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Available

Police use cameras extensively in the West to record their traffic stops so if you REALLY think they are necessary you can get one.

I do not slap other people's kids. Not because I think it might be cruel, maybe maybe not, but because they have big brothers, uncles etc. and it is a good way to start real trouble.

Most Viewed